By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - (2015) Avengers 2 vs Avatar 2 vs Starwars VII vs Batman/Superman

Which will do the most business in 2015

Avengers 2 53 23.45%

Batman/Superman 32 14.16%

Star Wars VII 74 32.74%

Hunger Games 3 0 0%

Finding Dory 5 2.21%

Other 4 1.77%

Total:226
Soundwave said:

The possibility of a new Star Wars written by an actually solid screenwriter and not directed by post 1980s George Lucas?

Yeah, all the superheroes and James Cameron's blue people can all take a seat. Star Wars, and it's not even close.

James Cameron beats Star Wars. Titanic was more popular than the original Star Wars movie (well, at least when it came out), and Avatar grossed more than the entire prequel trilogy put together.

And James Cameron can do sequels - Aliens and Terminator 2 prove this.

Around the Network

pirates 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

Edit - not in terms of money made though. that will probably go to avatar or starwars

Avengers 2> Everything else.

I think it's between Avengers 2 and Avatar 2.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I'm guessing by business you mean gross? If so, here is my list:
1.) Avatar 2 - I don't care if you people think the first movie was average/bad. It's the highest grossing movie unadjusted for inflation. Coming off of that, it would be impossible not to be every movie in '15.

2.) Avengers 2 - The first one was the third highest grossing film of all time. And, for some reason, people really seemed to like it. This one will build off of Marvel's brilliant "Phase" plans.

3.) Star Wars VII - It's Star Wars. Long awaited, highly praised franchise, blah, blah, blah.

4.) Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part II - Jennifer Lawrence has become extremely popular just from one of these films. Imagine how popular her and the series will be after three installments of this series.

5.) Finding Dory - Finding Nemo is (I'm pretty sure) the second highest grossing film after Toy Story 3. This one will surely gross more than Finding Nemo just due to the sheer popularity of the first one and because a sequel has been long awaited. Plus, Ellen Degeneres. That is all.

All of the movies above will gross over 1 Billion (or close to, in the case of Finding Dory) dollars.

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Soundwave said:

The possibility of a new Star Wars written by an actually solid screenwriter and not directed by post 1980s George Lucas?

Yeah, all the superheroes and James Cameron's blue people can all take a seat. Star Wars, and it's not even close.

James Cameron beats Star Wars. Titanic was more popular than the original Star Wars movie (well, at least when it came out), and Avatar grossed more than the entire prequel trilogy put together.

And James Cameron can do sequels - Aliens and Terminator 2 prove this.

The original Star Wars sold more tickets than Titanic. Both were phenomons of their time.

James Cameron can do sequels yes, but the original Avatar relied an awful lot on the "wow" factor of the 3D, which today is basically no big deal anymore. Every blockbuster movie nowadays is 3D.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Inflation adjusted, Avatar is waaaaaaaaay below the first Star Wars and not even that far ahead of The Phantom Menace or Return of the Jedi.  It's box office is likely padded an awful lot by the premium 3D ticket prices.

If the next Star Wars actually has a decent script and some good direction behind it ... look out.

Personally I don't see where he's going to go with an Avatar story that's so compelling from this point out. I just personally think the story/characters/universe aren't that interested especially with the 3D novelty not being as much of a draw. Terminator 2 was 22 years ago now, he hasn't done a sequel since then, it may not be as much of a lock as people think.

I generally don't bet against Cameron, but I might just this time.

HO-LY SH*T

Finding dory (mothef*cking nemo 2 hells yea)
Avatar 2 must see, no doubt. This wille be awesome
The Avengers II fuckk yeh
Pirates 5 :o:o:o
hungergames :x
WARCRAFT MOVIEEEE, Finally
Assassin's creed??? Okay, cool
prometheus 2, yay loved prometheus

Soundwave said:

The original Star Wars sold more tickets than Titanic. Both were phenomons of their time.

James Cameron can do sequels yes, but the original Avatar relied an awful lot on the "wow" factor of the 3D, which today is basically no big deal anymore. Every blockbuster movie nowadays is 3D.

Inflation adjusted, Avatar is waaaaaaaaay below the first Star Wars and not even that far ahead of The Phantom Menace or Return of the Jedi.  It's box office is likely padded an awful lot by the premium 3D ticket prices.

If the next Star Wars actually has a decent script and some good direction behind it ... look out.

Personally I don't see where he's going to go with an Avatar story that's so compelling from this point out. I just personally think the story/characters/universe aren't that interested especially with the 3D novelty not being as much of a draw. Terminator 2 was 22 years ago now, he hasn't done a sequel since then, it may not be as much of a lock as people think.

Titanic sold more tickets in its initial run - remember, Star Wars was re-released many times. In its original run, Star Wars grossed $215 million, which in 1998 money would be $450 million... Titanic was also super popular overseas - it was released in 57 countries besides the U.S./Canada and DESTROYED the box office in EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. That was just phenomenal. It was the highest grossing movie in the UK for 11 years, in Japan for 4, etc. etc. Titanic was the biggest movie phenomen ever. You can never doubt James Cameron.

Avatar was still a phenomenon... I mean think about it, The Avengers had four HUGE movies to promote it, had years of hype, had many major stars, tons of marketing, 3D premium prices, and still couldn't get near Avatar.

The problem with Star Wars is that only core Star Wars fans seem to be interested in it. Thankfully, there is a lot. But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were not on the levels of Empire, Return, and Menace in terms of box office. A lot of interest in Star Wars has died down due to the prequels being bad movies.

I just can't see the hype reaching Phantom Menace levels. Even if Harrison, Mark, and Carrie return. The Star Wars brand has been damage - it'll make a lot of money, but will be more comparable to Revenge and Clones than Phantom Menace and The Empire Strikes Back.

You can never bet against James Cameron. This guy just has "it." Avatar is a compelling movie. A lot of people say it's "Pocahantas on Pandora," while it does share similarities, so what? Star Wars is Hidden Fortress on Tatooine. Flash Gordon in the Death Star. Heck, the final Death Star battle is literally a rip off of the movie "Dam Busters," look it up. If there is one thing James can do, that's sequels. Aliens and Terminator 2 are some of the higest rated sequels ever. (Btw, I think Star Wars is a great movie, it is easily in my top 10).

Avatar 2 - if it is released in 2015, will make more money than Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, and Star Wars Episode 7.... though to be honest, I was hoping Cameron would go with his other movie, Battle Angel.

2015 is shaping up to be a sick year for big budget blockbusters. I'd have to say Star Wars VII overall / worldwide blockbuster, as it'll be released presumably in May around the Memorial Day weekend.

Avengers 2 will do alright, not as good as the first I predict.

Avatar 2 may give Star Wars the biggest run for its money, especially since it'll probably have a winter debut just like its predecessor, and therefore have hardly any competition.

Finding Dory will be third overall for the year... big kids/family movie and sequel to one of the most popular Disney/Pixar movies of all time.

I predict the Batman/Superman mashup will be somewhat of a bomb, especially compared to TDK and TDKR's box office numbers. Both recent Superman films have gotten mixed reviews, and I honestly don't see how they can make a Batman / Superman film work outside of a Justice League movie, which is now tentatively set for 2017.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Soundwave said:

Titanic sold more tickets in its initial run - remember, Star Wars was re-released many times. In its original run, Star Wars grossed $215 million, which in 1998 money would be $450 million... Titanic was also super popular overseas - it was released in 57 countries besides the U.S./Canada and DESTROYED the box office in EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. That was just phenomenal. It was the highest grossing movie in the UK for 11 years, in Japan for 4, etc. etc. Titanic was the biggest movie phenomen ever. You can never doubt James Cameron.

Avatar was still a phenomenon... I mean think about it, The Avengers had four HUGE movies to promote it, had years of hype, had many major stars, tons of marketing, 3D premium prices, and still couldn't get near Avatar.

The problem with Star Wars is that only core Star Wars fans seem to be interested in it. Thankfully, there is a lot. But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were not on the levels of Empire, Return, and Menace in terms of box office. A lot of interest in Star Wars has died down due to the prequels being bad movies.

I just can't see the hype reaching Phantom Menace levels. Even if Harrison, Mark, and Carrie return. The Star Wars brand has been damage - it'll make a lot of money, but will be more comparable to Revenge and Clones than Phantom Menace and The Empire Strikes Back.

You can never bet against James Cameron. This guy just has "it." Avatar is a compelling movie. A lot of people say it's "Pocahantas on Pandora," while it does share similarities, so what? Star Wars is Hidden Fortress on Tatooine. Flash Gordon in the Death Star. Heck, the final Death Star battle is literally a rip off of the movie "Dam Busters," look it up. If there is one thing James can do, that's sequels. Aliens and Terminator 2 are some of the higest rated sequels ever. (Btw, I think Star Wars is a great movie, it is easily in my top 10).

Avatar 2 - if it is released in 2015, will make more money than Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, and Star Wars Episode 7.... though to be honest, I was hoping Cameron would go with his other movie, Battle Angel.

I am going to take the bait and bet against Cameron.

I just think Avatar's characters/themes are more niche than Star Wars even. Without the novelty of being the first real breakout 3D movie, I think Avatar 2 will be beaten by both Avengers 2 and Star Wars *if* Star Wars actually has a script/directing of reasonably better quality than the prequel movies.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars, not only beat Avatar, but so does Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi is right there and so is Phantom Menace.

People finally turned against Star Wars because Lucas' screenwriting/direction had become terrible and many people felt burned by Episode I. JJ Abrams is a decent action director and the writer is a very good writer (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.). Kathleen Kennedy is also an extremely smart producer, she has made sure there's some real talent behind the new Star Wars, much like Disney also did with The Avengers.

I'm going to say, Avengers 2 > Star Wars (w/a good script) > Avatar 2 > Batman/Superman