By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - (2015) Avengers 2 vs Avatar 2 vs Starwars VII vs Batman/Superman

Which will do the most business in 2015

Avengers 2 53 23.45%

Batman/Superman 32 14.16%

Star Wars VII 74 32.74%

Hunger Games 3 0 0%

Finding Dory 5 2.21%

Other 4 1.77%

Total:226
Soundwave said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Soundwave said:

The original Star Wars sold more tickets than Titanic. Both were phenomons of their time.

James Cameron can do sequels yes, but the original Avatar relied an awful lot on the "wow" factor of the 3D, which today is basically no big deal anymore. Every blockbuster movie nowadays is 3D.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Inflation adjusted, Avatar is waaaaaaaaay below the first Star Wars and not even that far ahead of The Phantom Menace or Return of the Jedi.  It's box office is likely padded an awful lot by the premium 3D ticket prices.

If the next Star Wars actually has a decent script and some good direction behind it ... look out.

Personally I don't see where he's going to go with an Avatar story that's so compelling from this point out. I just personally think the story/characters/universe aren't that interested especially with the 3D novelty not being as much of a draw. Terminator 2 was 22 years ago now, he hasn't done a sequel since then, it may not be as much of a lock as people think.

I generally don't bet against Cameron, but I might just this time.

Titanic sold more tickets in its initial run - remember, Star Wars was re-released many times. In its original run, Star Wars grossed $215 million, which in 1998 money would be $450 million... Titanic was also super popular overseas - it was released in 57 countries besides the U.S./Canada and DESTROYED the box office in EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. That was just phenomenal. It was the highest grossing movie in the UK for 11 years, in Japan for 4, etc. etc. Titanic was the biggest movie phenomen ever. You can never doubt James Cameron.

Avatar was still a phenomenon... I mean think about it, The Avengers had four HUGE movies to promote it, had years of hype, had many major stars, tons of marketing, 3D premium prices, and still couldn't get near Avatar.

The problem with Star Wars is that only core Star Wars fans seem to be interested in it. Thankfully, there is a lot. But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were not on the levels of Empire, Return, and Menace in terms of box office. A lot of interest in Star Wars has died down due to the prequels being bad movies.

I just can't see the hype reaching Phantom Menace levels. Even if Harrison, Mark, and Carrie return. The Star Wars brand has been damage - it'll make a lot of money, but will be more comparable to Revenge and Clones than Phantom Menace and The Empire Strikes Back.

You can never bet against James Cameron. This guy just has "it." Avatar is a compelling movie. A lot of people say it's "Pocahantas on Pandora," while it does share similarities, so what? Star Wars is Hidden Fortress on Tatooine. Flash Gordon in the Death Star. Heck, the final Death Star battle is literally a rip off of the movie "Dam Busters," look it up. If there is one thing James can do, that's sequels. Aliens and Terminator 2 are some of the higest rated sequels ever. (Btw, I think Star Wars is a great movie, it is easily in my top 10).

Avatar 2 - if it is released in 2015, will make more money than Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, and Star Wars Episode 7.... though to be honest, I was hoping Cameron would go with his other movie, Battle Angel.

I am going to take the bait and bet against Cameron.

I just think Avatar's characters/themes are more niche than Star Wars even. Without the novelty of being the first real breakout 3D movie, I think Avatar 2 will be beaten by both Avengers 2 and Star Wars *if* Star Wars actually has a script/directing of reasonably better quality than the prequel movies.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars, not only beat Avatar, but so does Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi is right there and so is Phantom Menace.

People finally turned against Star Wars because Lucas' screenwriting/direction had become terrible and many people felt burned by Episode I. JJ Abrams is a decent action director and the writer is a very good writer (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.). Kathleen Kennedy is also an extremely smart producer, she has made sure there's some real talent behind the new Star Wars, much like Disney also did with The Avengers.

I'm going to say, Avengers 2 > Star Wars (w/a good script) > Avatar 2 > Batman/Superman

You both make good points but I definitely agree with you that Star Wars was a bigger phenomenon than Avatar. I realize this thread is talking box office numbers here but I just refuse to believe that if you stripped away Avatar's 3D novelty that it would have come anywhere near dethroning Titanic's box office record. Regarding things like their influence on pop culture they're not even close. We'll never see such a popular line of action figures, such complete nerd fandom or script quotes that transcend generations like Star Wars accomplished. Even the special effects were nowhere near the revolution that Star Wars was in the late '70s.

As for which will do better between the two movies I certainly wouldn't make any bets (because as he stated Star Wars has been tainted) and granted, my bias is playing into it a bit since I really like some of the Star Wars movies, love Abrams, and hated Avatar, but as you mentioned the characters and themes in Avatar just aren't very interesting as far as warranting a sequel and I just don't see the follow up garnering nearly the success that the first movie did.

Around the Network

I guess I'll post my list for how I would actually grade these movies...

1. Finding Dory
2. The Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part II
3. Star Wars VII
4. Batman/Superman Mash-Up Thing
5. Avengers 2

No need to post reasons. It's just all based off of my reasoning anyway.

1. Avengers 2
2. Star Wars 7
3. Batman/Superman
4. Avatar 2

....sigh* originality is lost.

Soundwave said:

I just think Avatar's characters/themes are more niche than Star Wars even. Without the novelty of being the first real breakout 3D movie, I think Avatar 2 will be beaten by both Avengers 2 and Star Wars *if* Star Wars actually has a script/directing of reasonably better quality than the prequel movies.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars, not only beat Avatar, but so does Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi is right there and so is Phantom Menace.

People finally turned against Star Wars because Lucas' screenwriting/direction had become terrible and many people felt burned by Episode I. JJ Abrams is a decent action director and the writer is a very good writer (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.). Kathleen Kennedy is also an extremely smart producer, she has made sure there's some real talent behind the new Star Wars, much like Disney also did with The Avengers.

I'm going to say, Avengers 2 > Star Wars (w/a good script) > Avatar 2 > Batman/Superman

The main issue is that the Star Wars prequels HEAVILY hurt Star Wars' image. Attack of the Clones did EXTREMELY poorly for Star Wars standards, and Revenge of the Sith improved on it just a little. ROTS in America grossed $380 million, which is good, but it's not near Avatar, Dark Knight, or Avengers level. I don't think the Star Wars sequels can reach Phantom Menace level of hype.

Think of it like Pirates of the Caribbean. Pirates 2 grossed a LOT of money, but Pirates 3 grossed less because a lot of people hated Pirates 2 and Pirates 4 was barely on the radar (foreign wise, it grossed a lot, but the situation is different these days).

Here are my predictions:

- The Avengers 2 - $560 million

- Batman/Superman - $530 million

- Star Wars 7 - $470 million

Domestic Worldwide
Avengers 2 $630m $1.8B
Star Wars 7 $550m $1.7B
Hunger Games 3 $475m $1.1B
Superman/Batman $440m $1B
Finding Dory $435m $1.2B

Around the Network

1.) Star wars unless Disney destroys it
2.) Avengers 2 mainly cause everyone loved first movie so much ( childish but a enjoyed it)
3.) Batman/Superman i remember reading Nole is producing all they need now is Bale and they will probably eclipse avengers)
4.) Avatar 2 ( will do amazing but their is really nothing new about this, yes avengers 2 isn't totally new either but still will have a wider audience than avatar 2 will have)
5.) finding dory (self explanatory)

I'm personal looking forward to star wars, the avengers are okay, and batman will just get over classed by superman who is easily one my most hated superheros.

Only one i'll probably see out of those is Star Wars.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Soundwave said:

The main issue is that the Star Wars prequels HEAVILY hurt Star Wars' image. Attack of the Clones did EXTREMELY poorly for Star Wars standards, and Revenge of the Sith improved on it just a little. ROTS in America grossed $380 million, which is good, but it's not near Avatar, Dark Knight, or Avengers level. I don't think the Star Wars sequels can reach Phantom Menace level of hype.

Think of it like Pirates of the Caribbean. Pirates 2 grossed a LOT of money, but Pirates 3 grossed less because a lot of people hated Pirates 2 and Pirates 4 was barely on the radar (foreign wise, it grossed a lot, but the situation is different these days).

Here are my predictions:

- The Avengers 2 - $560 million

- Batman/Superman - $530 million

- Star Wars 7 - $470 million

That's true, however if word spreads that the new Star Wars is actually good (if that happens to be the case), that news will spread like wild fire.

Remember Batman bounced back from Batman & Robin which is worse than any of the prequel movies. So franchises can bounce back.