By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only 1 who keeps his games for collection purposes

I like to play games, not keep them on the shelf collecting dust. And the only way I do this, is by buying it, then selling it for another. Very rarely do I keep games, unless its something I will play online like Halo, Gears or Cod or buy DLC like Mass Effect and Bioshock Infinite.

From my experience, the people who ''collect games'' aren't very good at following them through and often do not finish their games.

I do often look down on ''game collectors'' as IMO from my experience, they do not hold very good opinions on recent games and often have their tasted stunted by nostalgia, especially if they have been collecting for many generations. 

Nor do I stock up on old consoles. When a gen is over, I move onto the next with no looking back. 

Around the Network

I only keep the ones that I deem worthy of my collection. The rest get the boot!

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Wright said:
Gaming is an expensive hobby.

That beign said, yes, I do keep my games. I've never resell one of them, just because, at least, I've ended up playing them all again, at one point. (Except L.A Noire, but...oh, well.)

Expensive hobby? My guitar alone costs 16 000 Norwegian kroner (kr. A game costs about 399-599kr. Now if you ad up all the other stuff I need to play that guitar... My sister has an violin for 100 000kr, a rather expensive one, but nothing too crazy. And don't get me started on fishing!

By the way, yes I keep my games. Mostly cause I'm too lazy to sell them XD

I collect my games aswell but its nice to see that their value rises overtime. I could sell my SNES/PS1 Collection for alot of cash. But how is this going to be 20 years from now with my hypothetical XBone collection ?

How will this even work ? Do I still have to sell Games to a licensed XBone retailer and do they still get money when I sell a 20 year old niche game ? So I could never decide to sell my Copy on Ebay because it wouldn't work. Also there is a reason why PC games never get Collectors Status (atleast not as easily as console games)

chapset said:
I really hate this '' It doesn't affect me so fuck everybody else attitude'' not everyone is in your situation, some people can't afford new games very often and need to sell their old ones to get new ones and some other people don't see the point of keeping games they will never play again so why not sell them. Also, don't forget about the shitty games that you don't know how bad they are until you play them, it's nice to have the option to trade them for something else.

Thank you.

I buy tons of games, I also rent games and share games because $60 (or even $30) is not something I can just take a chance on a whim.

I rented Tomb Raider from the library, liked it so much I went out and bought it a few days later. I also rentec DmC from the library, did not care for and passed on purchasing it.

I think without renting/sharing I would just buy less games.  I do not tend to sell games as much as they are easy way to introduce others to a series, I fully plan on sharing Tomb Raider when I am done with it to friends to convince them it is a good game worth trying.  That said, I think everyone has the right to sell their property should they see fit.

Around the Network

I only keep few games nowadays. I used to keep them, but there's no point, I'm never going to play them again. The ones I will, I keep. Hell I was looking at my PS2 games, I should have traded most of them in. Now my DVD case is full of games I'm never gonna play again.  For example, Gran Turisimo 5, what's the point of keeping it when GT6 is coming out?

No....I still have all of of my Game Cube games, all of my Wii games etc. Though I was forced to sell my N64 and my games (its a long story so don't ask). While the last sentence is true for a lot people it was kinda mean. The
only game I ever sold back was star wars the force unleashed; because (to me) it was terrible! The only reason why I don't sell my games is because down the line if like the game overall, I'm keeping it.

Yes the used market is a big issue. But it has nothing to do with the used games themselves nor the consumer. This whole stupid issue behind the used market is that THIS industry in particular believes that they feel so goddamn special; they think they deserve more money for their products that have already had their run. You don't hear other industries throwing a fuss about used, cars, lawn mowers, microwaves etc. With all the rampant piracy on movies and music even they haven't stooped this low.

This is what I'm afraid of if console manufactures start implementing policies like this to control the consumer all for the sake of money.

wolfofthepack said:

I am one who cant get this big fuss of wether xbox1 or ps4 charges for used games as i buy all my games new and also keep them for collection as far back as super nintendo! And the complaint about games being to expensive is nonsense if gaming is to expensive of a hobby for u then u should not be in it! 

In my case it's different, it's I don't understand Why publishers are now feeling "Robbed" by the used games market.   It has always existed and industry was just fine with it.

I sell all my games after I finish them but even If I kept them, I would be against companies taking away my right to sell what is mine.

And the complaint about games being to expensive is nonsense if gaming is to expensive of a hobby for u then u should not be in it!

Companies:  "Kneel before me or get out"

I keep my games

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Well ever since I started playing games I Always taught myself to only buy new copies and never resell them. I still have SSX for example on PS2 and I still got MGS on PS1 laying around. So personally the used games problem isn't a problem for me, the only game I have ever bought used is Crysis 2 and nothing else really.