By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only 1 who keeps his games for collection purposes

I'm a collector! Hummmmmmmm...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network

At the moment i buy most PC games on Steam or GOG, so its certainly less of a hassle storage wise. PS3/Xbox games I don't sell on, like to collect them and have the option to go back and play them in the future.

If PS4/XboxOne definitely go down the route of online DRM activation etc, rather than disk based usage, then i suspect I wont be buying as many console games at all.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I keep PC games, console games I lend to friends and family when I've finished them. I rarely bother to get them back as I don't really need them anymore and I don't have room for them. Its nice knowing you're contributing to someone else's enjoyment rather than lining your pocket for the pittance they give for games second hand. I understand the economics of those who trade a lot though.

Because of compatibility issues (moving to a different continent) I have given away some of my ps1, dc, n64 and pal ps2 games away to different friends and the systems with the rest of the games to family. PS2 games over here I've lend out to friends and given away my old xbox with games to get my nephew started on gaming.

But I keep the ones I really like, so I've got a nice little varied library of GC, Wii, PS2, PS3, 360 games I would like to play again some time. Games that I know I'll never play again I'll trade in, or give away.

Anyway with the 80 ish games I have lying around I know they'll still work as long as the system works or I can get a replacement system. I also try to buy physical copies of digital games for that reason, Journey collection great idea! Patches may be gone in 15 years but most games still work without patches. (Sorry Skyrim you have been traded in)

Now what's going to happen with a console that needs to update your digital permissions every 24h? Or worse depends on the cloud for single player.

Apart from restricting me from trying out $60 games I'm not sure about by recouping some money from games I'll never play again, no lending and uncertainty about what will still work in 30 years is even worse. Last year I bought an Intellivision with a box of games. 80's system with classics like Burger time, Space invaders, Frogger. It still works, great fun, the kids love it too. What's an xbox one going to be able to do in 30 years.

There are many of us collectors out there as it is a very enjoyable hobby.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Around the Network

I never sold any of my games, but I bought some used lol

Click HERE and be happy 

Nope I sell most of the previous generation stuff since I have no purpose for it because I won't be playing it anymore.

I keep them because I buy games worth playing more than once.

wolfofthepack said:

I am one who cant get this big fuss of wether xbox1 or ps4 charges for used games as i buy all my games new and also keep them for collection as far back as super nintendo! And the complaint about games being to expensive is nonsense if gaming is to expensive of a hobby for u then u should not be in it! 

The fact that you buy your games new is irrelevant. If Microsoft/Sony charge for used games, that effectively makes your games collection DROP in value if you've already registered said games. After all, the cost needed to recoup for 3rd parties dipping their hands into the used game market has to come from somewhere, right?

fordy said:
wolfofthepack said:

I am one who cant get this big fuss of wether xbox1 or ps4 charges for used games as i buy all my games new and also keep them for collection as far back as super nintendo! And the complaint about games being to expensive is nonsense if gaming is to expensive of a hobby for u then u should not be in it! 

The fact that you buy your games new is irrelevant. If Microsoft/Sony charge for used games, that effectively makes your games collection DROP in value if you've already registered said games. After all, the cost needed to recoup for 3rd parties dipping their hands into the used game market has to come from somewhere, right?

am where did i mention anything about the value of my collection and how does it drop ! and the fact i buy new games is relevant to this topic cause u and others are whining about xbox1 and their used game policy and i dont know y i am even responding to your comment cing as it makes no sense