By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only 1 who keeps his games for collection purposes

I like digital a lot more than having the disc. I hate having to waist space for games. Although I do keep a few games like the soul series and final fantasy. The rest I always sell.

Around the Network

I purchase games I know (ie. am reasonably confident) I am going to enjoy new, however I do utilize renting, borrowing, etc. to try out games I think I might like but am not ready to purchase.

I understand your sentiment, and it is a good thing for you that the possible restrictions on used games won't affect you as much - however it is a larger deal to other people who might not have as much disposable income (or desire to despose of as much income) as you and also some people take offense to it ethically - attempting to invalidate them by saying "And the complaint about games being to expensive is nonsense if gaming is to expensive of a hobby for u then u should not be in it! " is dismissive and not constructive.

For the industry to be healthy, and to maintain that health, it is imperative that new people are able to easily (ie. cheaply) enter the market. Lower cost systems and games (whether they be older, used, lower budget, etc.) allow for this low cost of entry which in turn will spark some of those people to move up the ladder and eventually become a more 'core' gamer such as yourself maybe, one who buys every system, buys games new, buys special editions, etc.

However if those entryways are restricted or worse cut-off, then the industry (as it has already shifted in some ways) will become populated by only the elitist who through natural attrition will become fewer and fewer and all the while more 'hardcore' the industry will stagnate and shrink and could eventually die if left on that track (a near impossibility of course).

Again it sounds like you are a reasonably financially stable individual whos gaming tastes lean towards playing games you know you will probably enjoy and purchasing them to keep as collectibles - that means possible used game restrictions will not affect you directly very much, however they are potentially very bad for the industry which would affect you if you plan on continuing to grow that game collection in the not so distant future.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

I sell or trade games I don't like very much. I've also sold new games while their resell value was still high, then re-bought or traded for them latter at a cheaper price.

I've found that buying games new when they're on sale is often cheaper than buying them used, so that's what I usually do. I check Amazon often.

I really hate this '' It doesn't affect me so fuck everybody else attitude'' not everyone is in your situation, some people can't afford new games very often and need to sell their old ones to get new ones and some other people don't see the point of keeping games they will never play again so why not sell them. Also, don't forget about the shitty games that you don't know how bad they are until you play them, it's nice to have the option to trade them for something else.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I buy 95% of my games new. Used ones are mostly the Nintendo games which go out of print for no reason. I do trade back, sell or give away some of my games. I don't really feel like keeping 007 Bloodstone or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 type of games. They were at best good for one time play.

I do keep all my steam games though.

Around the Network

I still have over 100 nes games that I bought back in the day. 19 snes, 12 n64 including gild Zelda ocarina of time and Majoras mask cartridges with hologram stickers. 7 dreamcast games, unfortunately my dreamcast was stolen along with my ps2 and about 80 ps2 games. I still have about 30 gamecube games. i have all of those boxed up and put away. not enough space to place everything neatly.

And as for recent games... 152 xbox 360 games, 37 ps3 games, and 28 wii u games. I almost forgot Wii, it was my least liked Nintendo system, I only have 12 games for it.

I have a select game franchises which I will never sell. However I don't have such a feeling for some other games and when I see that I haven't played for a while then I consider selling them so that someone else can enjoy for a lower price.

It's through the second hand market that I got KZ2 and it turned into one of my favorite franchises getting the collector's edition of KZ3 day one.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

after last generation where I traded in games I was disappointed as I didn't have enough to show for my time during that generation.

This one is a different story where I treasure my physical copies and want to have a collection I can look back on at my time during that consoles life span.

I like to have a game collection and keep all my games, which is also why I prefer physical copy over digital (plus with digital I feel like I spent $60 on nothing cause I don't have anything to show for it).

This gen, i've been smarter and have only bought games I'm really interested in so I wont be trading any of my games.

Also I've seen some trade in prices at EBgames/Gamestop and it's such a rip off that I can't understand why people would even bother dealing with them! The ones I see the most that gets suckered into them are parents that bring their kids in to trade their games to "show them the value of money", but really just showing them that they're idiots getting screwed.

Collection purposes? Yeah, just try to complete a collection without used items. Of course, if you're like super rich, you can just buy each and every game that is ever released. But only for your country that is with Xbox One, because that console gives the term "Region locked" a whole new meaning. Besides, what's your collection worth in, let's say 20 years when the servers for Xbox One will be shut down? Can't play nothing anymore without that online check every 24 hours. What's the point in collecting something that will be absolutely useless in the future?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.