By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - These journalists couldn't stop smiling at Nintendo's fate

Train wreck said:

Overestimation and basing sales off review scores cost the CEO of SE his job.  I mean when tomb raider was at its peak it did not do those type numbers in that short of time.

The point of the matter, and I believe the point that Mike was trying to make, is that the cost of AAA games has become unsustainable, and though your mobile sales reply to Rol was good, I will admit, Mike makes a solid point that there is little reason to make AAA games just for the sake of it, if they aren't going to make you money.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
mike_intellivision said:
Carl2291 said:
happydolphin said:
Carl2291 said:
Whats really funny is how everyone can see the problem and everyone knows how to fix it...

Other than Nintendo.

Yup and according to these people the solution certainly isn't games or a price reduction, it's simply better graphics and 3rd party support.
That makes it really funny!

Games and 3rd party support are the same thing. The PS3 and 360 are getting games that Nintendo SHOULD be getting on Wii U. From rubbish like Aliens: Colonial Marines to GotY contenders like Tomb Raider.

The console doesnt have the games available to justify the pricetag. Its the PS3 all over again, on a smaller scale.

What worked for the PS3? Rapid cuts, continued 3rd party support and aiming at the loyal PS2 markets (Europe, S. America, Others). Nintendo need to get the console supported and they needed to target what made the Wii so popular - The expanded market.

Point here about how bad the console gaming market is -- and what people are missing.

Tomb Raider had disappointing sales of 3.6M. it essentially cost the S-E CEO his job.

If people need 5M sales for a AAA game to be profitable, what kind of hope is there for this industry?

I would bet on Nintendo more than the other two because Nintendo has shown for the last two genreations that it can produce enough big sellers to keep itself afloat.  

Mike from Morgantown

Overestimation and basing sales off review scores cost the CEO of SE his job.  I mean when tomb raider was at its peak it did not do those type numbers in that short of time.

Agreed. But the main point that you have to sell 5M of a game for it to be profitable stands.

And if you can't do that on an install base of 150M -- how are you going to do that with an install base of 0 (or at least certanily less than 5M for the holdiay season, if previous launches are an indication.)

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

dahuman said:
These guys are just trying to make money, however wrong they might be lol. We should know better by now to actually care about what analysts say about the video game industry since it can be very unpredictable as it's technically still very new. There is no "right" formula yet.

Funny thing is they don't offer any more insight than someone on this website.  They really are no different than anyone else besides a listening audience.

chriscox1121 said:
dahuman said:
These guys are just trying to make money, however wrong they might be lol. We should know better by now to actually care about what analysts say about the video game industry since it can be very unpredictable as it's technically still very new. There is no "right" formula yet.

Funny thing is they don't offer any more insight than someone on this website.  They really are no different than anyone else besides a listening audience.

I would say a lot of users on this site are better at the jobs of analysing video games TBH lol. You often can't get a clear vision when you are in the midst of it all, and that's where those analysts are at, dazed and confused, or just want to get hits to pay the bills.

mike_intellivision said:

Point here about how bad the console gaming market is -- and what people are missing.

Tomb Raider had disappointing sales of 3.6M. it essentially cost the S-E CEO his job.

If people need 5M sales for a AAA game to be profitable, what kind of hope is there for this industry?

I would bet on Nintendo more than the other two because Nintendo has shown for the last two genreations that it can produce enough big sellers to keep itself afloat.  

Mike from Morgantown

Tomb Raider has done about as well as anyone with a brain expected it would.

Wada was a fool. He expected far too much from games that were never gonna reach the targets he/they set. 3.4 Million units in 4 Weeks is pretty damn good for any game that isnt Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto. Already smashed the other TR games from the generation and only the original 3 TR games have sold more.

5 to 10 Million units for Tomb Raider was insane. Maybe if it had a Holiday release and compelling online, it could have broke 5 Million... But during the Spring lul with a poor online component? Dream on. The game will probably leg it over 5 Million, but 10? Seriously? This isnt Halo. This isnt Mario. This isnt Gran Turismo... Its Tomb Raider lol

AAA Games needing 5 Million to profit and having $100 Million budgets, I think is bullshit btw. Thats just SE for you, or poor management in general. Naughty Dog made Uncharted 2 with $20 Million.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best looking games of the gen. It had solid online gameplay and sold over 6 Million units. Games with big dev teams taking too long to make good games, is what pushes that dev cost. Big teams + Long Dev Timescales = Square Enix.

Around the Network

Gaming industry have become one of the most stupid and idiotic mediums ever, all thanks to these hipster journalists.

Carl2291 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Wada was a fool. He expected far too much from games that were never gonna reach the targets he/they set. 3.4 Million units in 4 Weeks is pretty damn good for any game that isnt Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto. Already smashed the other TR games from the generation and only the original 3 TR games have sold more.

5 to 10 Million units for Tomb Raider was insane. Maybe if it had a Holiday release and compelling online, it could have broke 5 Million... But during the Spring lul with a poor online component? Dream on. The game will probably leg it over 5 Million, but 10? Seriously? This isnt Halo. This isnt Mario. This isnt Gran Turismo... Its Tomb Raider lol

AAA Games needing 5 Million to profit and having $100 Million budgets, I think is bullshit btw. Thats just SE for you, or poor management in general. Naughty Dog made Uncharted 2 with $20 Million.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best looking games of the gen. It had solid online gameplay and sold over 6 Million units. Games with big dev teams taking too long to make good games, is what pushes that dev cost. Big teams + Long Dev Timescales = Square Enix.

I dare say I teared reading this

....oddly enough Tomb Raider is pretty damn good

Carl2291 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Unfortunately it isn't only SE...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152843&page=1

Nintendo and PC gamer

happydolphin said:
Train wreck said:

The point of the matter, and I believe the point that Mike was trying to make, is that the cost of AAA games has become unsustainable, and though your mobile sales reply to Rol was good, I will admit, Mike makes a solid point that there is little reason to make AAA games just for the sake of it, if they aren't going to make you money.

The cost of AAA games have not become unsustainanble because many of these games acheieve the sales numbers they set out to get (most are internal and we never get them but you dont see a majority of companies complaining).  Also where are the companies getting the money to have such massive budgets?  I guess its from their AAA games selling alot.

I think the numbers that Square Enix were pumping out were amaturish at best, not knowing the western market at all and relying on Metacritic data to gague sales.  The same with Capcom and Resident Evil 6, they overestimated the game substanatially failing to realize they moved the game into a direction that the majority of its buyers did not want to go. THQ the same with Darkstriders, they gave that game a AAA budget when it was a single A game at best.  You dont see amature hour mistakes with Sony or Microsoft with Uncharted and Halo, Activision or Ubisoft...and when you do, they cut tail as soon as possible and regroup (activision is the top example)

Carl2291 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

I have to agree this is a good post.

Having said that, how much poor management is in line with the shunning of Nintendo? It seems to all be part of one and the same problem. Also, though it is due to poor management, I think it's the case for many studios, they are mismanaged. The PS470 platform will only compound the problem.