By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - These journalists couldn't stop smiling at Nintendo's fate

Looking at this amount of sold 3rd party games on Wii and as we know a large majority were basically low budget it will be interesting to see where these 3rd parties now will have such an opportunity of low effort and high return, since smartphone games while cheap don´t generate as much revenue. Also if we are honest and to name the most apparent example in the beginning of last gen, it weren´t games like Carneval to make the system successful, in fact it was the other way around, Wiis popularity and novelty made even such low budget games very successful and helped funding their other projects. Seeing how many studios and publishers failed/shutdown/closed this gen it is completely stupid in my opinion to actually be happy about even less opportunities.

Otakumegane said:
Watched the vid, and WOW. Is this what qualifies as analyzing these days?

This was disgusting. Even the Vita never got this pukefest on them and that thing's deader than dead. (Not trying to anger Vita fans, just looking at things in perspective.)

Nintendo, if analysts hate you to this extent no way in hell you're getting 3rd party support from the developers. Differentiate yourselves and create a Nintendo box. It may not be a conspiracy, but these guys want you out for business reasons.

They genuinely don't believe Nintendo's important.

Why did you even bother clicking the link? That´s actually what they are after (clicks=money). They are saying the same things for a decade. 

Around the Network

Just a bunch of incompetents who have never been right about anything in their life and probably never will. Even the simplest concepts like killer apps or comparative installed based are beyond their understanding abilities. I'm laughing even louder at their blatant stupidity.

@gum. TV is a killer app, that was funny.

Carl2291 said:
happydolphin said:

I agree that it's the games that matter, I agree with you. But I don't agree that 3rd party support is the answer. Games are the answer. Whether it's 3rd party games or Nintendo-made games, as long as the expanded market is catered to the answer is there. Granted the console would also have to be at a price that the expanded market has this far embraced for Nintendo home consoles (<=200$).

The Wii and the cube show that Nintendo consoles don't thrive on 3rd party titles, but the Wii powerfully shows that Nintendo consoles _can_ thrive on purely Nintendo games. Simply looking at the top 20 will show us that.

In other words, the U situation and the PS3 situation are extremely different scenarios, since Nintendo actually doesn't need 3rd parties to ensure success.

3rd party support IS the answer. Nintendo cant single handedly support the Wii U alone, especially when they're also supporting the 3DS. They need and rely on 3rd parties to fill the gaps, and at times, take the reigns.

Yeah, the mainline big selling Nintendo games will do a whole lot to help the situation, but they arent the key answer. The key answer is the library as a whole. The Wii's main problem post-2010 was the library. It stagnated. Nothing worthwhile was releasing anymore. You had the odd hit like Zelda and the Just Dance games, but there was Months where literally nothing new released. No compelling software releasing = no sales. No compelling software + library not worth the $350 asking price = recipe for disaster.

Nintendo cant release a compelling Wii U game every Month. Between the Hundreds of 3rd parties, they can. They can keep the system feeling fresh. They can keep the system in the media spotlight. 

The Wii has sold over 842 Million units of Software, 761 if you take away the Wii Sports total.

Nintendo Published (Not developed) 388 Million of those games, 307 if you take away the Wii Sports total.

That means that over 450 Million 3rd party games were sold on the Wii. Trust me, 3rd parties matter. From "big" releases like MH3 and DQX to the shovelware like Carnival Games.

It's my understanding that the sales of 3rd party games on the Wii increased dramatically _after_ Nintendo secured a successful launch thanks primarily to 1st party titles. It is my understanding that 3rd party titles are not needed to push a Nintendo console in its early years.

Here is the yearly breakdown of Wii SW sales. I'm not sure how to get the breakdown by publisher anymore, but here is a start

2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
8,454,915 74,814,653 177,044,396 181,775,778 182,659,103 135,509,472 72,256,872

If I could subtract the amount Nintendo sold per year, that would help us complete the analysis, but it is my strong understanding that 3rd party games did not push the Wii's success in the early years (2006 to 2009).

RolStoppable did make a good point. Some, if not many, made a lot of Money on Wii titles and that certainly helped their finances - and consequently, made financing PS3 and Xbox 360 games easier and less riskier.
Overall, i think it`s safe to assume that money earned on Wii and DS created a cushion for some 3rd parties.

What they said about Wii U isn`t 100% true, but it`s not 100% false either.
It`s true that Wii U is in a bad shape right now but doesn`t mean it`s game over. PS3 and 3DS are proof that you can turn things around even if it takes some time to do it.

I don`t understand how the most importante point on that show was simply ignored: PS4 and Xbox 720 are going head to head. And that never happened on this industry! Yet, they and everyone, treat it as something meaningless.
Not only that, it`s like PS3 and Xbox 360 lineu-up, library and prices just won`t matter to them but somehow it`s meaningful to Wii U`s success.

What i don`t get is how Skype is awesome and will be good for MS, yet Wii U`s vídeo chat isn`t even worth mentioning.

RolStoppable said:
They don't even realize what's going to hit them. Nintendo's self-destruction will also have an effect on their beloved companies, because now there isn't going to be a platform where third parties can rake in the cash with cheaply produced games. Money that was used to subsidize development for the 360 and PS3 until these systems had big enough installed bases to become self-sustaining. Admittedly, some publishers never really reached that point and continued to incur losses.

The upcoming transitional period is going to be tough for third parties. Activision is about the only Western publisher who has a reliable cash cow in Call of Duty. EA sells 10m+ copies of FIFA each year, but that's still not good enough to make a profit overall. The software markets on the 360 and PS3 are on the decline and it will take at least a couple of years before the Nextbox and PS4 truly get going. This time there is no DS and Wii. Mobile isn't going to pick up the slack, because consumers are conditioned to expect free games.

I guess you must have missed when Square Enix mentioned that mobile was their lone bright spot in their terrible earnings report that cost the CEO his job...or missed how EA generated 23 million dollars in sales from the Simpsons tapped out last quarter when the game is free to consumers...or maybe its take two and them selling 1+ million copies of GTA3 for the ios and andriod platforms at $4.99 and those are successes from the big boys.  You have smaller companies like rovio who created their following on the ios and andriod and now has one of the top selling 3DS game in NA.  Angry Birds did not start from consoles/dedicated handhelds but it showed it can invade them and be successful.

EDIT: After a little investigation, I can say that Angry Birds Trilogy is the best selling 3rd party game in the West for dedicated handhelds($40 dollars Activision).

...and then there's Steam.

The mobile space is not in a downturn, as the market continues to mature and expand, these developers will continue to find ways to utilize their brands to make money in the space. that with the continued selling of 3rd parties games on the PS360 (both retail and through their online shops), it should be more than enough to fill the gap Nintendo left behind.

Around the Network

yeah nintendo should exit the game industry... oh wait they are the only exclusive game company out of 3....
and since microsoft and sony have so much to offer, we dont need nintendo...
i mean look at the top 10 best selling games on both consoles.... they are so different to each other!!!

Honestly, they didn't say anything wrong actually.

Their marketing sucks, 3rd party games have shown zero commitment after the launch software numbers and bailed aside from those paid to stay, the online infrastructure is years behind, hardware is obviously effectively last gen much like the Wii, and the saving grace of the Wii U, the first party games that justify buying a new console, are still non existent.

This whole first year is proving to be a huge waste of time and money both for the consumers and retailers for the benefit solely of Nintendo.

The real Wii U launch is at the end of the year, and until then, we don't have a reason to be proud of them.

@pezus, on indies. We've already gone over that, there are reasons to believe that, and saying "just no" doesn't magically make you any more correct.

DietSoap said:
Honestly, they didn't say anything wrong actually.

Their marketing sucks, 3rd party games have shown zero commitment after the launch software numbers and bailed aside from those paid to stay, the online infrastructure is years behind, hardware is obviously effectively last gen much like the Wii, and the saving grace of the Wii U, the first party games that justify buying a new console, are still non existent.

This whole first year is proving to be a huge waste of time and money both for the consumers and retailers for the benefit solely of Nintendo.

The real Wii U launch is at the end of the year, and until then, we don't have a reason to be proud of them.

@bold. The problem is they reject that as a factor and are rejecting the U regardless of what 1st party support it gets. That's because they have pre-decided that the U will have cube-like success no matter what arguments brought to them. It's called bias and it's wrong, and causes people to say wrong (read "incorrect") things.

pezus said:
Th3PANO said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Th3PANO said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Well the laughing part was somewhat silly perhaps, but the Wii U is kind of irrelevant in terms of 3rd party support when compared to the PS4 and 720, which is what they were laughing at.

they also talked about wii u not really being next gen, so i guess ps 2 wasn't next gen back then?

I don't think the difference in specs between the Xbox/Gamecube and the PS2 is of the same magnitude as the difference between Wii and PS3/360 or Wii U and PS4/720. The last comparison still needs to be confirmed when 720 specs are released and PS4 confirmed, but the Wii one for sure.

doesn't change the fact that 3rd party titles looked much worse on ps 2. yes, they don't get 3rd party support from ea. many others. but nobody even mentions the indy developers where nintendo is really doing a great job lately. more so then microsoft and sony to be honest. more and more aaa developers will fall.

More than MS and Sony? Just no...

free dev kits, nintendo web framework, you don't need a official office anymore, unity support, treating indie's good as reported, they are doing a fine job. seriously. maybe i was a bit too fast with my statement, but they aren't behind microsoft and sony anymore, that's for sure ;)

curtiswolf said:
i would laugh too. seeing that the WiiU needs help, and alot of it. and then Nintendo saying how good the console is. it cant even run DVD's. yeah a home console alright.
i think their laughing more at the fact that Nintendo isnt doing anything. and if the WiiU does fail, it would be no ones fault but their's.
i hope SEGA revels something this E3 or next E3 about their rumored console. im getting lonely with these 3 :)

why would they put DVD playback in? Nintendo makes GAMING consoles not dvd players that play games lol. Also how many dvd players does one need in the house?