By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Crytek nearly launched Crysis 3 on WiiU but it had to die

If Wii U owners will be spared the grief of Crytek games and Origin all at once, they should count themselves lucky in my opinion.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
z101 said:
AgentZorn said:

Nintendo refused Origin. That's my only guess.

Yes, that is all about it.

Or maybe big games like CoD/ME/AC all bombed on the WiiU and the preorders of NFS are non existent?

I mean we can blame the lack of Origin support as much as we want, but when will we start blaming the atrocious sales of 3rd party games?

This. 

It costs money to finish polishing a game that is close to completion, to publish it, and advertise it.  If EA had a strong feeling that they would barely recoup those costs, then they aren't going to release the game.  Nintendo fans always complain about poor 3rd party support, but when they do get ports/multiplats, they don't seem to buy them.  Yet, they start to get pissed when 3rd parties begin to abandon their console because there is no money to be made.  I think Nintendo fans on this site need to have a long talk with their brethren, as the majority of them don't seem to care about 3rd party games. This is only going to hurt Nintendo in the long run. 

Though, for some reason, this only applies to their home consoles.  Their handheld gets good 3rd party support and sales.  I guess that's because not only the Nintendo diehards and casuals buy those systems.  I have a 3DS myself.

chapset said:
wasn't going to sell anyway

/end thread

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Barozi said:
hunter_alien said:
z101 said:
AgentZorn said:

Or maybe big games like CoD/ME/AC all bombed on the WiiU and the preorders of NFS are non existent?

I mean we can blame the lack of Origin support as much as we want, but when will we start blaming the atrocious sales of 3rd party games?

While this might be true, the game was pretty much ready to launch, so it sounds to me that the losses have already been made and even if the WiiU version sold poorly they could've reduced the losses a tiny bit.

Maybe the cost of finishing the game and publishing it would have been to high to justify the release? I mean we are looking at sales that would have probabaly been under 100k LT, and the majority would have come from bargain bin sales.

Maybe EA much rather focused that money on advertising the PC/360/PS3, and by the looks of it, the game will do decent numbers.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Not saying this is the answer to this game and other EA games not coming to the Wiiu but it does make you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrC1jLkm3Y

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Barozi said:
hunter_alien said:
z101 said:
AgentZorn said:

While this might be true, the game was pretty much ready to launch, so it sounds to me that the losses have already been made and even if the WiiU version sold poorly they could've reduced the losses a tiny bit.

Maybe the cost of finishing the game and publishing it would have been to high to justify the release? I mean we are looking at sales that would have probabaly been under 100k LT, and the majority would have come from bargain bin sales.

Maybe EA much rather focused that money on advertising the PC/360/PS3, and by the looks of it, the game will do decent numbers.

"But there was a lack of business support between Nintendo and EA on that"
This quote says otherwise.

MDMAlliance said:
hunter_alien said:
Barozi said:
hunter_alien said:
z101 said:
AgentZorn said:

That quote means nothing at all. We could speculate what exactly it means but we will probably never know for certain.

IMO what we can say for sure is that things like these never have just one side, and decisions are made by more factors: Nintendos deteriorating relationship with EA (Origin issues or not), bad financial performance of previosu WiiU titles, not enough dev/advertising muscle left for a 4th editiion etc.

People are jumping at EAs trotha for not supporting the WiiU, but it looks like Origin could have been a better idea for online integration. It is better to get ports, than no games at all.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

think-man said:
Nintendo don't want third party support I guess.....

Still can't believe there are people taking EA's side in this.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

hunter_alien said:
MDMAlliance said:

That quote means nothing at all. We could speculate what exactly it means but we will probably never know for certain.

IMO what we can say for sure is that things like these never have just one side, and decisions are made by more factors: Nintendos deteriorating relationship with EA (Origin issues or not), bad financial performance of previosu WiiU titles, not enough dev/advertising muscle left for a 4th editiion etc.

People are jumping at EAs trotha for not supporting the WiiU, but it looks like Origin could have been a better idea for online integration. It is better to get ports, than no games at all.

If you want to say that quote means nothing, then we can say nobody's quotes mean nothing at all unless they show something.  That quote comes directly from someone who worked with the game.

The guy would have had nothing to lose if he said it was about how the Wii U was selling, Nintendo's lack of support for the Wii U or whatever.  The fact that a vague statement about relations between EA and Nintendo were brought up definitely means a lot.  It isn't quite the best response to make as it is also a hit at EA no matter how you look at it.  How big of one depends on who it is reading it.

KungKras said:
But I thought companies were perfectly logical money making machines

Except Nintendo naturally. They act illogical and emotional.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]