By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Touchpad vs. Touchscreen? Sony FTW

JWeinCom said:
dharh said:

I tottaly forgot about all you people with two sets of eyes that can look at both the main screen and the gamepad to be able to use them both. I am such a fool!!

It's called glancing down for a split second and looking back up.  If you've ever used a cell phone, you've probably done it.

On topic, the touchpad is pretty useless, but that's not the PS4's selling point.  The Wii U's selling point is its controller the PS4's is graphics (I think. Hard to get the point of all Sony's buzzwords.)  Each is better than the other in their given area.

If the inventory is _always_ there, sure, but if you have to navigate screens, you gonna die to some mob while you aren't looking.

The touchpad is not suppose to be the PS4's selling point. Whereas for me, the selling point for the Wii U, is basically a deal breaker for me.  The Wii U should have been $100 less with no gamepad built in. They should then have gone with Asymetric gameplay through the 3DS.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

cool story bro!
take it back to gamefaqs

happydolphin said:

Seriously dude, zip it. There's been enough trolling on these forums I think it's right about time it starts to get back in order.

I didn't troll anything, I didn't even say that.

I was quoting the OP.

maxnyc said:
happydolphin said:

You certainly are blind, since if Nintendo wanted they could easily use the screen for the same uses as the PS4's touchpad. They just wouldn't display anything on the controller.

But for those of us normal enough to be able to look down and choose our items (like in Watchdogs for instance, where the character is actually looking at his iPhone), it all works out perfectly.

But even for those blind, they could use a PS4-type approach with the U if they wanted to.

All hail the Playstation BELIEVE

Stop beating around the bush on stupid technicalities. It's scientific FACT that it is physically (& psychically) impossible to see (or glance) at 2 screens at the same time. Like if you're driving, don't you usually just zone in on 1 small rectangular area and focus on that area fully until otherwise noted? Same thing with a video game, it is psyically impossible to glance back and forth between 2 or more things. There's just no way to actually use another 2nd touchscreen in the palm of your hands, pure impossibility. Nintendo should have done their homework.

I totally agree with you. There is no way that people could look at two screens with a videogame console. I doubt there will ever be a two screened videogame console that will sell 150 million units and will have a successor that will sell 30 million units in its first two years on the market. People wouldn't buy a console that they couldn't use.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

maxnyc said:
happydolphin said:

You certainly are blind, since if Nintendo wanted they could easily use the screen for the same uses as the PS4's touchpad. They just wouldn't display anything on the controller.

But for those of us normal enough to be able to look down and choose our items (like in Watchdogs for instance, where the character is actually looking at his iPhone), it all works out perfectly.

But even for those blind, they could use a PS4-type approach with the U if they wanted to.

All hail the Playstation BELIEVE

Stop beating around the bush on stupid technicalities. It's scientific FACT that it is physically (& psychically) impossible to see (or glance) at 2 screens at the same time. Like if you're driving, don't you usually just zone in on 1 small rectangular area and focus on that area fully until otherwise noted? Same thing with a video game, it is psyically impossible to glance back and forth between 2 or more things. There's just no way to actually use another 2nd touchscreen in the palm of your hands, pure impossibility. Nintendo should have done their homework.

If you ever look down to look at your phone while driving you _are_ a danger to all other drivers around you and need to get off the road.

And I didn't mean to imply you _cant_ look down from the TV to the gamepad, I meant you shouldn't and I do not want to. I think its a stupid waste of time.

Thanks a little for the entertainment before I go to work, you people gave people a slight chuckle.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
dharh said:
JWeinCom said:
dharh said:

I tottaly forgot about all you people with two sets of eyes that can look at both the main screen and the gamepad to be able to use them both. I am such a fool!!

It's called glancing down for a split second and looking back up.  If you've ever used a cell phone, you've probably done it.

On topic, the touchpad is pretty useless, but that's not the PS4's selling point.  The Wii U's selling point is its controller the PS4's is graphics (I think. Hard to get the point of all Sony's buzzwords.)  Each is better than the other in their given area.

If the inventory is _always_ there, sure, but if you have to navigate screens, you gonna die to some mob while you aren't looking.

The touchpad is not suppose to be the PS4's selling point. Whereas for me, the selling point for the Wii U, is basically a deal breaker for me.  The Wii U should have been $100 less with no gamepad built in. They should then have gone with Asymetric gameplay through the 3DS.

So what games have you played on the Wii U where you've died while looking at the touch screen?  Zombi U you do, but that's precisely the point, and it works brilliantly.  In Mass Effect 3, it's not hard to glance down for a second to check your powers (if you have a poor memory like me) and use them.  It actually makes things a lot smoother than having to pause the game to bring up your power wheel.  Yoshi's Fruit Cart from Nintendo Land uses the dual screen connection in a unique way, forcing you to look back and forth between two screens.  It's hard to describe if you haven't played it, but Zombi U does a similar thing, forcing you to navigate a minefield while the bottom screen shows their locations.  There is a lot of cool stuff to be done on the gamepad.  Nothing mind blowing yet but the potential is there.

Ofscreen play on the gamepad would be pointless and would prevent assymetric gameplay from being a key feature.  If you want a feature to be central to your platform, you need everyone to be able to use it.

I don´t see how that tiny touchscreen would be any useful.. It reminds me of the Dreamcast controller. Anyway, developers may find some creative use of it.

pezus said:
happydolphin said:
Honestly the ideas in OP is proof of how pathetic a PoV can get when one OBSTINATELY refuses to see the cons in the design of one company.

You know, it's pretty clear that he is being sarcastic.

I was talking about the OP, and I was telling devon to stop encouraging it.

dharh said:
maxnyc said:

It seems like the writing is on the wall. Sony has outsmarted and outinvented Nintendo once again. Their new touchpad is obviously far more innovative and useful than Nintendo's dumb touchscreen gamepad. Why would i want a touchscreen to control my inventory, maps, mini-games, etc, and play completely off-tv? When instead i can have a touchpad, which won't display any information, but will enable me to have swipe and touch controls for the (2) games which will inevitably support it. Sony, i praise you and i praise your vision. This is the best invention of theirs since the original Walkman. Touchpad FTW!

Give it a damn rest would you people please? Why would I want to look away from the TV to look at the touchscreen? I wouldn't, ever. The only valid use of the gamepad is 2+ player crap or playing the actual game on it and walking away.

And that is pretty cool actually. I didn't expect this, I was thinking that feature is useless. But I use it a lot and comes spring I will play while sitting on my balcony.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

yep.... next thing you know the smart phone industry would have touchpad instead of touch screen!!!! because it is ohhhh sooooo innovative...
i dont want tablet!!!! or anything that has touch screeeeennnnnnnnnnnn... it is soooo 2000-something.... but touchpad!!!!!! it is the FUTURE!!!!!!!!! FUTUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

typed this using a 10 year old laptop with no touch screen, but it has a touch pad :)