By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Touchpad vs. Touchscreen? Sony FTW

dharh said:
maxnyc said:
dharh said:

Give it a damn rest would be people please? Why would I want to look away from the TV to look at the touchscreen? I wouldn't, ever. The only valid use of the gamepad is 2+ player crap or playing the actual game on it and walking away.

Exactly brohan, we're on the same page here. I don't want a screen when i can have a pad instead. What the hell would a screen even be used for? (Besides managing your inventory, having a larger more detailed map, drawing out custom plays for sports games, playing 2 players with each having a dedicated screen, playing aysmetric multiplayer modes. I mean besides all that stuff, there's just no damn point to having a screen when instead we can have a pad!

Yawn. You totally couldn't possibly not be able to using the main screen to manage your inventory, or have a large detailed map, or draw custom plays on your large screen TV. Totally couldn't possibly, nope. 2 player games are for losers with physical friends. Ugh. Don't get me started on people who have virtual friends on the internet and play multiplayer games over the interwebs. 

I totally agree with you. Why manage your inventory while playing the game when you can just pause it, and interupt the gameplay? Pausing it is so much easier! Also, why have a map on the bottom screen so you can see where youre going while playing when you can have a large map covering the screen? Two screens are not better than one!

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
maxnyc said:
Mummelmann said:
The touchpad thingy on the DS4 is a really stupid idea but is only a small part of the whole (like Sixaxis motion). The entire Gamepad is largely useless overall, it will be employed for gimmicks and cheap thrills. The Wii-mote was a lot simpler but there were almost no games that made good use of it, I can only imagine the lack of imagination and effort on the Gamepad.

This where we differ. I agree that the Wii U gamepad touchscreen is completely useless & will never be used for anything innovative or fun or for new multiplayer possibilities. That we totally agree on. But where we part ways is that I think Sony's touchpad will be the biggest revolution in gaming since the analog stick was invented. That touchpad can used to swipe, touch, and swipe your way to whole new styles of game. It will be a revolution in how we control our games.

You're a sarcasm master, the world has never seen such skill. Congratulations. Both this post and the OP are works of pure gold, I hope to one day become half the man you are and posess the same sly and clever sense of humor.

Don't encourage him!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Flanneryaug said:
dharh said:

Yawn. You totally couldn't possibly not be able to using the main screen to manage your inventory, or have a large detailed map, or draw custom plays on your large screen TV. Totally couldn't possibly, nope. 2 player games are for losers with physical friends. Ugh. Don't get me started on people who have virtual friends on the internet and play multiplayer games over the interwebs. 

I totally agree with you. Why manage your inventory while playing the game when you can just pause it, and interupt the gameplay? Pausing it is so much easier! Also, why have a map on the bottom screen so you can see where youre going while playing when you can have a large map covering the screen? Two screens are not better than one!

I tottaly forgot about all you people with two sets of eyes that can look at both the main screen and the gamepad to be able to use them both. I am such a fool!!

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
Flanneryaug said:
dharh said:

I tottaly forgot about all you people with two sets of eyes that can look at both the main screen and the gamepad to be able to use them both. I am such a fool!!

You certainly are blind, since if Nintendo wanted they could easily use the screen for the same uses as the PS4's touchpad. They just wouldn't display anything on the controller.

But for those of us normal enough to be able to look down and choose our items (like in Watchdogs for instance, where the character is actually looking at his iPhone), it all works out perfectly.

But even for those blind, they could use a PS4-type approach with the U if they wanted to.

All hail the Playstation BELIEVE

dharh said:
Flanneryaug said:
dharh said:

It's called glancing down for a split second and looking back up.  If you've ever used a cell phone, you've probably done it.

On topic, the touchpad is pretty useless, but that's not the PS4's selling point.  The Wii U's selling point is its controller the PS4's is graphics (I think. Hard to get the point of all Sony's buzzwords.)  Each is better than the other in their given area.

Around the Network
dharh said:
Flanneryaug said:
dharh said:

You're totally right! It's not like it's possible to just glance at the bottom screen for half a second while playing. 

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

happydolphin said:

You certainly are blind, since if Nintendo wanted they could easily use the screen for the same uses as the PS4's touchpad. They just wouldn't display anything on the controller.

But for those of us normal enough to be able to look down and choose our items (like in Watchdogs for instance, where the character is actually looking at his iPhone), it all works out perfectly.

But even for those blind, they could use a PS4-type approach with the U if they wanted to.

Stop beating around the bush on stupid technicalities. It's scientific FACT that it is physically (& psychically) impossible to see (or glance) at 2 screens at the same time. Like if you're driving, don't you usually just zone in on 1 small rectangular area and focus on that area fully until otherwise noted? Same thing with a video game, it is psyically impossible to glance back and forth between 2 or more things. There's just no way to actually use another 2nd touchscreen in the palm of your hands, pure impossibility. Nintendo should have done their homework.

happydolphin said:
dharh said:

They could use the gamepad that way, yes. Pretty expensive controller just for that, but ok.

This has always been my gripe with the Wii U gamepad and has absolutely nothing to do with the DS4. The DS4 touchpad will have limited use, which is good cause I don't _want_ to do much with the touchpad, I would rather do normal things we have normally done with our traditionally normal controllers. All these radically different control schemes have been a hot mess of crap.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

"Their new touchpad is obviously far more innovative and useful than Nintendo's dumb touchscreen gamepad"

I think i just pissed my panties.

Deyon said:

"Their new touchpad is obviously far more innovative and useful than Nintendo's dumb touchscreen gamepad"

I think i just pissed my panties.

Seriously dude, zip it. There's been enough trolling on these forums I think it's right about time it starts to get back in order.