By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Touchpad vs. Touchscreen? Sony FTW

I have my fingers crossed that this is a joke thread... and one made while being drunk.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
dharh said:

If the inventory is _always_ there, sure, but if you have to navigate screens, you gonna die to some mob while you aren't looking.

The touchpad is not suppose to be the PS4's selling point. Whereas for me, the selling point for the Wii U, is basically a deal breaker for me.  The Wii U should have been $100 less with no gamepad built in. They should then have gone with Asymetric gameplay through the 3DS.

So what games have you played on the Wii U where you've died while looking at the touch screen?  Zombi U you do, but that's precisely the point, and it works brilliantly.  In Mass Effect 3, it's not hard to glance down for a second to check your powers (if you have a poor memory like me) and use them.  It actually makes things a lot smoother than having to pause the game to bring up your power wheel.  Yoshi's Fruit Cart from Nintendo Land uses the dual screen connection in a unique way, forcing you to look back and forth between two screens.  It's hard to describe if you haven't played it, but Zombi U does a similar thing, forcing you to navigate a minefield while the bottom screen shows their locations.  There is a lot of cool stuff to be done on the gamepad.  Nothing mind blowing yet but the potential is there.

Ofscreen play on the gamepad would be pointless and would prevent assymetric gameplay from being a key feature.  If you want a feature to be central to your platform, you need everyone to be able to use it.

I really don't like zombie games, so take that bias into account. I tried ZombiU, and of course not really digging the zombie stuff, did not find any gameplay elements that could not have been done 100% on the screen. The touchpad stuff was ok, but again could have been done with your eyes completely on screen. I myself have pretty good spatial muscle memory, but for those that don't you could easily do a cursor on screen that appears when you put your index finger on the gamepad to navigate the on TV screen inventory then double tap when you have the cursor on the item you want to equip. All in all I was not really impressed with ZombiU, not just in terms of the zombie stuff, but the added gamepad gameplay didn't really seem useful or worth it.

The other issue is almost every single genre I like to play works much better with pause than without. The non-pause inventory/status screen doesn't add any enhanced gameplay to the games I like to play.

I get the fact that Nintendo wants asymmetric gameplay to be a key feature. Problem is that is a feature I don't need or want and I think could have been achieved with heavy integration with the 3DS. I do also see the flaws in that, it would mean a signifigant number of Wii U's without a 3DS, thus developers would not target it nearly as much. So I get it, but it again means that Wii U is practically a non-buy for me.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

I really don't like zombie games, so take that bias into account. I tried ZombiU, and of course not really digging the zombie stuff, did not find any gameplay elements that could not have been done 100% on the screen. The touchpad stuff was ok, but again could have been done with your eyes completely on screen. I myself have pretty good spatial muscle memory, but for those that don't you could easily do a cursor on screen that appears when you put your index finger on the gamepad to navigate the on TV screen inventory then double tap when you have the cursor on the item you want to equip. All in all I was not really impressed with ZombiU, not just in terms of the zombie stuff, but the added gamepad gameplay didn't really seem useful or worth it.

The other issue is almost every single genre I like to play works much better with pause than without. The non-pause inventory/status screen doesn't add any enhanced gameplay to the games I like to play.

I get the fact that Nintendo wants asymmetric gameplay to be a key feature. Problem is that is a feature I don't need or want and I think could have been achieved with heavy integration with the 3DS. I do also see the flaws in that, it would mean a signifigant number of Wii U's without a 3DS, thus developers would not target it nearly as much. So I get it, but it again means that Wii U is practically a non-buy for me.

That's a good point, but why use a cursor when you can simply tap the icon of the item you want without having to direct a cursor?

happydolphin said:
dharh said:

That's a good point, but why use a cursor when you can simply tap the icon of the item you want without having to direct a cursor?

Only because I still prefer not looking down then back up. I just don't see the value. I don't even gain any signifigant time since over the method I described. I have never seen the value in two screens. I still didn't like the second screen on the DS for that reason as well and it had more reasons to exist (I own a DS).

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

Only because I still prefer not looking down then back up. I just don't see the value. I don't even gain any signifigant time since over the method I described. I have never seen the value in two screens. I still didn't like the second screen on the DS for that reason as well and it had more reasons to exist (I own a DS).

Directing a cursor is much less friendly than touching the icon you want, that's a given though.

Around the Network
pezus said:

I was talking about the OP too.

No, the OP isn't being sarcastic, he clearly suffers from some sort of cognitive impairment. I would be willing to bet he is very serious about it.

happydolphin said:
pezus said:

I was talking about the OP too.

No, the OP isn't being sarcastic, he clearly suffers from some sort of cognitive impairment. I would be willing to bet he is very serious about it.

You're damn right i'm 110% serious that the wii U gamepad was & is a completely failure of imagination, whereas the ps4 touchpad is an honest to goodness evolution which actually makes sense when you look at it (unbiased opinion). Take into account that, it might be easier to just see an item or map and then tap on it, yeah that may save you a few seconds here & there. But what I'm most familiar with, is to have to repetitively pause a game to juggle my inventory or check maps / objectives. I also enjoy having a very crowded overhead display on the tv screen, which helps keep me immersed within the game world & enjoy the graphics in and of themself. These are what I'm used to & this is all I know, so therefore this is what I want & what Sony will provide. I for one couldn'tbe more excitable!

JWeinCom said:
dharh said:
JWeinCom said:
dharh said:

I tottaly forgot about all you people with two sets of eyes that can look at both the main screen and the gamepad to be able to use them both. I am such a fool!!

It's called glancing down for a split second and looking back up.  If you've ever used a cell phone, you've probably done it.

On topic, the touchpad is pretty useless, but that's not the PS4's selling point.  The Wii U's selling point is its controller the PS4's is graphics (I think. Hard to get the point of all Sony's buzzwords.)  Each is better than the other in their given area.

If the inventory is _always_ there, sure, but if you have to navigate screens, you gonna die to some mob while you aren't looking.

The touchpad is not suppose to be the PS4's selling point. Whereas for me, the selling point for the Wii U, is basically a deal breaker for me.  The Wii U should have been $100 less with no gamepad built in. They should then have gone with Asymetric gameplay through the 3DS.

So what games have you played on the Wii U where you've died while looking at the touch screen?  Zombi U you do, but that's precisely the point, and it works brilliantly.  In Mass Effect 3, it's not hard to glance down for a second to check your powers (if you have a poor memory like me) and use them.  It actually makes things a lot smoother than having to pause the game to bring up your power wheel.  Yoshi's Fruit Cart from Nintendo Land uses the dual screen connection in a unique way, forcing you to look back and forth between two screens.  It's hard to describe if you haven't played it, but Zombi U does a similar thing, forcing you to navigate a minefield while the bottom screen shows their locations.  There is a lot of cool stuff to be done on the gamepad.  Nothing mind blowing yet but the potential is there.

Ofscreen play on the gamepad would be pointless and would prevent assymetric gameplay from being a key feature.  If you want a feature to be central to your platform, you need everyone to be able to use it.

kitler53 said:

YOU ARE CHERRY PICKING

Had to spell it out for you because I already mentioned that.

While I know your OP is satire, I honestly agree that the touchpad seems pointless.

I FUCKING HATE TOUCHPADS AND SHIT LIKE THAT ON LAPTOPS.

They are crappy and inconvenient. A mouse is 1000000000000x better in every way. As such, I don't see how this tiny touch pad will help in a game in any way beyond pointless gestures that in reality mimic the "waggle" crap forced on Wii.

Don't compare this to the backpad on Vita because in that you are looking at the same plane as the backpad and thus its a 1:1 comparison like a touch panel on front.

I am reserving final judgement until I see some games, but at this point it seems like it will be never used... same as the six-axis crap in current DS3.