By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

Maybe Atlus, but I doubt anyone right now. Maybe the makers of Xenoblade if the reviews are to be believed... I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

I'd be happy with a developer making something like the old Grandia games. Wild Arms was great too, 2 was OK, and 3 was different. Nothing can compare to the original though

Around the Network
JGarret said:
blkfish92 said:
JGarret said:
Square was a beast like RARE, releasing several games in a certain period of time:

FFVII -- 1997
Xenogears -- 1998
FFVIII -- 1999
Chrono Cross -- 1999
FFIX -- 2000

And there are others...look, in just three years they released 5 long, quality JRPGs.

Funny isn't it? With Square Enix it takes a million years for a game to get released. We still don't have Versus 13 lol

Not only that..there´s also the fact they announce countdowns where they reveal browser games...REALLY exciting, isn´t it?

Bull crap right!? >.> freakin Square Enix lol

Atlus for sure, they have won over many hearts with their games the past few years. They just need that SE marketing power or the budget to back a huge game like them. P3 and P4 outshine Every FF in the last 8 years for sure, and most of anythin Square puts out these days. Persona could truly be the franchise that puts them on the map. We shall see how Persona 5 turns out :)

Level 5 always were in Square's shadow, they make really great RPGs but their timing is always off, their writing leaves much to be desired as well.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Atlus is the new Squaresoft, don't know how they fucked up so badly.....but they did.

forevercloud3000 said:
Atlus 
Level 5 always were in Square's shadow, they make really great RPGs but their timing is always off, their writing leaves much to be desired as well.

that's what ghibli's for!

hopefully atleast.

Around the Network

SquareEnix... They've got the IP's and the resources. If they just got their heads out of their asses they could bounce back.

4 ≈ One

F0X said:
JGarret said:
F0X said:
JGarret said:
dahuman said:
JGarret said:

If only they can release more quality games in a shorter period of time...granted it´s no easy task, but it´s definitely possible, Squaresoft did it (look at that very small list on my previous post), RARE did it.

Not with current hardware levels, they'd have to go back to making stick figures for that to happen lol.

Well, as long as it´s not only one game every 5 years....before Xenoblade, what did Monolith release on the Wii?

Disaster: Day of Crisis. A game that convinced them to stick to making RPGs.

So, only two games.Now that Xenoblade is critically acclaimed (and are sales good?), hopefully they only stick to RPGs, and release at least three in a single generation...since JRPGs (that aren´t Final Fantasy) tend not to employ the latest and greatest graphical technology, and being part of Nintendo, who has no interest in hardware arms race, then that must count for something in them being able to release more quality games.

Monolith is an artistic studio. I imagine they can pump out a nice-looking game at a decent budget. The hard part depends on the size of the game.

The size of the game should be no problem. Xenoblade is easily a 100+ hour game. I think Project X Zone is up there also. The size of an RPG really depends on the scripted events and the story so as long as they can spin a semi-interesting tale there should be no problem and most of their Xeno seris games show that.

I think it's hilarious that a single game at the end of the generation suddenly makes Monolith Soft a contender at all for this sort of title or honor. Nintendo handles them so incredibly poorly (it's either that or they're just as horrid as Squeenix with time management) so that they do not push out enough games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I feel that it is a very different era from when Squaresoft was the dominant force in console RPGs, largely because competition has increased dramatically as more western RPG developers have branched out from PCs to consoles. I think that From Software has done a great job at adapting to the current market with the Souls games; Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are probably my favorite JRPGs this generation (along with Valkyria Chronicles, and Persona 4 (which is technically from the previous generation since I played that game on the PS2)).

With that said, I still enjoy Square-Enix games, and while I may be in the internet "minority", I enjoyed both Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2.

outlawauron said:
I think it's hilarious that a single game at the end of the generation suddenly makes Monolith Soft a contender at all for this sort of title or honor. Nintendo handles them so incredibly poorly (it's either that or they're just as horrid as Squeenix with time management) so that they do not push out enough games.

I agree with this. 

Also, obviously I like SE, I don't think they are what they once were in JRPG's. But still, It's not like they've done nothing, not including final fantasy XIII series. 

The World Ends With you
Dragon Quest IX
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Chaos Rings 
Chaos Rings II
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy: Dissidia

Now that's definetely not as high of quality as their PSX days. But comparitively to other JRPG companies I don't see how they're that far behind.

That's not counting titles that got released in Japan and not west, which is a bit annoying.
Final Fantasy Type-0
Bravely Default
Dragon Quest X
Nor their Eidos Games.
Nor their DQ/FF/Tactics Ogre remakes that a lot of people liked.