By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

You guys don't forget that some current Square-Enix (really good) games are made by others developers.

TWEWY (Jupiter)
Dragon Quest IX (Level 5)
etc..
Square-Enix has lost its magic a long time ago.

And do not forget too that Monolith Soft, Level 5, Tri- Ace, Atlus, Mistwalker, Brownie Brown, etc are composed by ex-Squaresoft / Enix developers.

Around the Network
Ghutto said:
You guys don't forget that some current Square-Enix (really good) games are made by others developers.

TWEWY (Jupiter)
Dragon Quest IX (Level 5)
etc..
Square-Enix has lost its magic a long time ago.

And do not forget too that Monolith Soft, Level 5, Tri- Ace, Atlus, Mistwalker, Brownie Brown, etc are composed by ex-Squaresoft / Enix developers.

enix never developed games. They were a publishing house. For instance Star Ocean was always made by tri-ace. Dragon Quest V for instance was originally developed by Chunsoft with Yuji Horii as the designer. Like DQIX.

TWEWY was co-developed with Jupiter and Square PDD1. 

However, what you say is true. But the same applies to Lost Odyssey (Feelplus), The Last Story (AQ interactive) with mistwalker. Which essentially leaves atlus as the only studio that's released a significant number of games, that have done most things in-house.

outlawauron said:
I think it's hilarious that a single game at the end of the generation suddenly makes Monolith Soft a contender at all for this sort of title or honor. Nintendo handles them so incredibly poorly (it's either that or they're just as horrid as Squeenix with time management) so that they do not push out enough games.

Expecting a studio to put out as many games today as was put out back then is to ignore the changes in scope of development.

ishiki said:

I agree with this. 

Also, obviously I like SE, I don't think they are what they once were in JRPG's. But still, It's not like they've done nothing, not including final fantasy XIII series. 

The World Ends With you
Dragon Quest IX
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Chaos Rings 
Chaos Rings II
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy: Dissidia

Now that's definetely not as high of quality as their PSX days. But comparitively to other JRPG companies I don't see how they're that far behind.

That's not counting titles that got released in Japan and not west, which is a bit annoying.
Final Fantasy Type-0
Bravely Default
Dragon Quest X
Nor their Eidos Games.
Nor their DQ/FF/Tactics Ogre remakes that a lot of people liked.

The World Ends With You was co-developed with Jupiter.
Dragon Quest IX was developed by Level 5
Chaos Rings wasdeveloped by Media Vision
Chaos Rings II was developed by Media Vision
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy was developed by Silicon Studio
Dragon Quest X was developed by Armor Project

Half of yout list are not even SE developed titles, just published.

By the way, Media Vision is the developer of the old Wild Arms series, not SE.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

@viper1 in your response to outlawaroun...by that logic their will NEVER be a new Sqauresoft ever again. So the real question is can any company out there put out JRPGs on consoles with the quality and quantity that Squaresoft did back in their PS1 or even SNES days. I say no

oniyide said:
@viper1 in your response to outlawaroun...by that logic their will NEVER be a new Sqauresoft ever again. So the real question is can any company out there put out JRPGs on consoles with the quality and quantity that Squaresoft did back in their PS1 or even SNES days. I say no

At equal rate and quality, not possible unless they were willing to vastly reduce the scope of each game.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
outlawauron said:
I think it's hilarious that a single game at the end of the generation suddenly makes Monolith Soft a contender at all for this sort of title or honor. Nintendo handles them so incredibly poorly (it's either that or they're just as horrid as Squeenix with time management) so that they do not push out enough games.

Expecting a studio to put out as many games today as was put out back then is to ignore the changes in scope of development.

Scope in terms of team sizes maybe, but Squaresoft had budgets pushing 30-50 million for nearly all of their big titles. That's more than comparable with this generations. They're not too far off.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Viper1 said:
oniyide said:

At equal rate and quality, not possible unless they were willing to vastly reduce the scope of each game.

Hence why I said there will NEVER be another Squaresoft again. BUt to be fair, not everything they did in the heyday was gold just most of it.

For comparison sake. MonolithSoft put out ONE JRPG toward the end of the gen on WII. Square in its heyday was pumping out JRPGS, 2-3 times a YEAR. Not even close. Thats not even counting whatever little obscure non JRPGS they made.

The answer is NOONE.

Maybe From Software will get some time in the spotlight but then again the impeccable Dark Souls barely sold a couple of hundreds more on three platforms than Demon's Souls did on one.

Dgc1808 said:
SquareEnix... They've got the IP's and the resources. If they just got their heads out of their asses they could bounce back.

And do what, sell more than 6-7 mil ? Those times are long gone. I doubt even Versus will do that well and that game is ridiculously hyped.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

The answer is NOONE.

Maybe From Software will get some time in the spotlight but then again the impecable Dark Souls barely sold a couple of hundreds more on three platforms than Demon's Souls did on one.

And do what, sell more than 6-7 mil ? Those times are long gone. I doubt even Versus will do that well and that game is ridiculously hyped.

From Software is a shitty developer who managed to make one decent game

Moderated,

-Mr Khan