By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

Notice I wrote 'Squaresoft', not 'SquareEnix'...that´s because I´m referring to the period before the merger, I´m referring to Square back in the 90s.

They used to be king in the JRPG genre, and nowadays they´re complete shit compared to what they once were (in my opinion, but I guess it´s hard to find someone who doesn´t agree)

So, what company has the most potential to be like Square was in the 90s?....is it Monolith?..I heard nothing but praise for Xenoblade.

Around the Network

Mist Walk and Monolith

Namco Bandai could be if they could get near the sell levels of Final Fantasy or Atlus.

dahuman said:
Mist Walk and Monolith

Agreed.

I'm especially bullish on Monolift Soft. They have the talent, they have the support, and they certainly have the ambition.

NobleTeam360 said:
Namco Bandai could be if they could get near the sell levels of Final Fantasy or Atlus.

Namco is actually one of those that fell down on the awesome graph as well.

Around the Network

Atlus
No other developer comes close, except maybe From Software.

Atlus
From Software

Most of all... Mistwalker for one reason alone - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other big publisher bought out Mistwalker and they recieved the proper funding then they could do really special things.

theprof00 said:
Atlus
No other developer comes close, except maybe From Software.

Nope, Atlus has been mainly doing Megami Tensei shit for too long and Etrian Odyssey is not Squaresoft level either, but their quality is stable, which is good because at least they don't disappoint the core fans of JRPG. From Software has Demon/Dark Souls but is really a company that makes mostly action games including the Souls games. What made Squaresoft great was that they experiemented on a lot of different games and battle systems that defined a lot of the later trends, the crazy ass stories and really good designers with visions that are mostly not even in the company anymore, I'd say the old Squaresoft is extremely hard to beat on the JRPG front.

Square was a beast like RARE, releasing several games in a certain period of time:

FFVII -- 1997
Xenogears -- 1998
FFVIII -- 1999
Chrono Cross -- 1999
FFIX -- 2000

And there are others...look, in just three years they released 5 long, quality JRPGs.

Carl2291 said:
Atlus
From Software

Most of all... Mistwalker for one reason alone - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other big publisher bought out Mistwalker and they recieved the proper funding then they could do really special things.

Hey, they´re the ones who developed Lost Odyssey, right?...I plan to start playing it next month.

Any word on what they´re up to?