By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

outlawauron said:
Viper1 said:
outlawauron said:
I think it's hilarious that a single game at the end of the generation suddenly makes Monolith Soft a contender at all for this sort of title or honor. Nintendo handles them so incredibly poorly (it's either that or they're just as horrid as Squeenix with time management) so that they do not push out enough games.

Expecting a studio to put out as many games today as was put out back then is to ignore the changes in scope of development.

Scope in terms of team sizes maybe, but Squaresoft had budgets pushing 30-50 million for nearly all of their big titles. That's more than comparable with this generations. They're not too far off.

The only games that pushed that kind of budget were their mainline FF games and that includes marketing budget.  And that started with FF VII.

All their other IP's had much, much smaller development budgets with none reaching more than $15 million.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

From Software is a shitty developer who managed to make one decent game

That's a depressingly weak attempt at flaming but I'll take it.

From software is the legendary developer of the King's Field and Armored Core series and redifined this generation's rpgs with two beasts: Demon's & Dark Souls.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
AndrewWK said:

From Software is a shitty developer who managed to make one decent game

That's a depressingly weak attempt at flaming but I'll take it.

From software is the legendary developer of the King's Field and Armored Core series and redifined this generation's rpgs with two beasts: Demon's & Dark Souls.

Legendary? You serious?