By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

JGarret said:
Square was a beast like RARE, releasing several games in a certain period of time:

FFVII -- 1997
Xenogears -- 1998
FFVIII -- 1999
Chrono Cross -- 1999
FFIX -- 2000

And there are others...look, in just three years they released 5 long, quality JRPGs.

Funny isn't it? With Square Enix it takes a million years for a game to get released. We still don't have Versus 13 lol

Around the Network
Soriku said:

Not enough people have played Xenosaga 3 and realized the awesomeness I don't think :/ Tales is all Namco really makes (at least with Atlus their SMT games are all rather different). Sega...lol. They had an RPG series going with VC but moved it to PSP and they didn't even release the third one. And Media.Vision has been making too many iOS games or JP-only PSP games like VC3 and Shining Ark :/ Work on WA6 with Sony already.

In Europe, oddly enough, we only got Xenosaga 2 and a bonus disk with the cutscenes from the first game.  I'd really like to play 3, I felt like 2 was quite a good game but got quite long winded in places.  I never finished it actually.

It pains me that Media.Vision made an apparently great entry in a brilliant JRPG franchise (Valkyria 3) and we'll probably never see it.  In fact, it pains me that we'll probably never see Wild ARMs 6 either because it'll never be made.  But there you go I suppose.

For Namco and Sega I was just making suggestions really.  I suspect Sega have given up on Valkyria Chronicles, but they have the Phantasy Star IP as well, they just never seem to know what to do with it outside of PSO.  

Level 5 maybe. I mean the Layton games where really good. And the Ni No Kuni Demo was pretty awesome. Monolith seems allright I mean Xenoblade was brilliant.

blkfish92 said:
JGarret said:
Square was a beast like RARE, releasing several games in a certain period of time:

FFVII -- 1997
Xenogears -- 1998
FFVIII -- 1999
Chrono Cross -- 1999
FFIX -- 2000

And there are others...look, in just three years they released 5 long, quality JRPGs.

Funny isn't it? With Square Enix it takes a million years for a game to get released. We still don't have Versus 13 lol

Not only that..there´s also the fact they announce countdowns where they reveal browser games...REALLY exciting, isn´t it?

The most potential is easily Monolith.
Mistwalker used every bit of potential it had and that didn't work out.
Level 5 and Atlus are lost causes for focusing on handhelds.
Namco has huge potential but little intelligence to go with it.

Around the Network

Sakaguchi saved Square from dying by creating FF (the reason for the name, you'll notice it with a lot of his other games "Lost Odyssey" or "The Last Story"). Hes in Mistwalker and still kicking therefore, Mistwalker is the new Square.

JGarret said:
Carl2291 said:
Atlus
From Software

Most of all... Mistwalker for one reason alone - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other big publisher bought out Mistwalker and they recieved the proper funding then they could do really special things.

Hey, they´re the ones who developed Lost Odyssey, right?...I plan to start playing it next month.

Any word on what they´re up to?

Making surfing games for iOS.

I like what Level 5 puts out along with Atlus and Namco bandai. They're all consistent with their quality. Mistwalker is good, too. Square is dead. I think FF9 is like the last good game they put out. Kinda gave up on them after seeing FFX and Kingdom Hearts. Those two games pretty much made me give up on them.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
I like what Level 5 puts out along with Atlus and Namco bandai. They're all consistent with their quality. Mistwalker is good, too. Square is dead. I think FF9 is like the last good game they put out. Kinda gave up on them after seeing FFX and Kingdom Hearts. Those two games pretty much made me give up on them.

Wow, it´s been a loooooong time since the last time I saw you here.

badgenome said:
JGarret said:
Carl2291 said:
Atlus
From Software

Most of all... Mistwalker for one reason alone - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other big publisher bought out Mistwalker and they recieved the proper funding then they could do really special things.

Hey, they´re the ones who developed Lost Odyssey, right?...I plan to start playing it next month.

Any word on what they´re up to?

Making surfing games for iOS.