By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...nowadays, what company has the most potential to be "the new Squaresoft"?

d21lewis said:
Mistwalker should become the "new Squaresoft".....mostly because they (or should I say he?) are the "old Squaresoft".

That's one of the reasons why I worry about the future of Nintendo and why Rare turned into such shit after they went to Microsoft. We have these companies that are their old selves in name, only. The games released by Atari today have absolutely nothing to do with the Atari of old, for example. The people that made them great--the visionaries and creative minds--they move on, retire, or die out. What we're left with is misplaced loyalty. If/when Miyamoto retires, I don't know what I'll do.

Well, lewis, Miyamoto will retire one day...unlike what you think, he´s just a human :P

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Carl2291 said:
Atlus
From Software

Most of all... Mistwalker for one reason alone - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other big publisher bought out Mistwalker and they recieved the proper funding then they could do really special things.

Hey, they´re the ones who developed Lost Odyssey, right?...I plan to start playing it next month.

Any word on what they´re up to?

He's making a snowboarding game for mobile/ tablets. Ugh.

JGarret said:
d21lewis said:
Mistwalker should become the "new Squaresoft".....mostly because they (or should I say he?) are the "old Squaresoft".

That's one of the reasons why I worry about the future of Nintendo and why Rare turned into such shit after they went to Microsoft. We have these companies that are their old selves in name, only. The games released by Atari today have absolutely nothing to do with the Atari of old, for example. The people that made them great--the visionaries and creative minds--they move on, retire, or die out. What we're left with is misplaced loyalty. If/when Miyamoto retires, I don't know what I'll do.

Well, lewis, Miyamoto will retire one day...unlike what you think, he´s just a human :P

Reported.

Kinda of a response to the people who say "Atlus" and not a dfirect response to the OP.

I'm so sick of the comparison between ol' Squaresoft and the now Atlus. THEY ARE FUCKING NOTHING ALIKE. Atlus makes great games, don't get me wrong and I do like and play a handful of their games a lot... enough to conclude that the two companies are nothing alike.

Maybe I'm not seeing it. Someone give me a convincing argument why Atlus is the new Squaresoft because I'm not convinced and I cringe every time someone posts that.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Monolith and nisa I say.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Around the Network
F0X said:
JGarret said:
dahuman said:
JGarret said:
dahuman said:
I really see Monolith doing great things, Xenoblade could have been better on some fronts, if they build up from that and can constantly create really good JRPGs, I'd be a really happy person. Mist Walker also has good design docs in general since we all know who runs the show there, it's just too bad that Lost Odyssey had some missing links still and The Last Story had to be toned down due to the Wii hardware level.

I see high potential in those 2 companies because their games actually get better, whereas other companies tend to play more one the safe side these days.

If only they can release more quality games in a shorter period of time...granted it´s no easy task, but it´s definitely possible, Squaresoft did it (look at that very small list on my previous post), RARE did it.

Not with current hardware levels, they'd have to go back to making stick figures for that to happen lol.

Well, as long as it´s not only one game every 5 years....before Xenoblade, what did Monolith release on the Wii?

Disaster: Day of Crisis. A game that convinced them to stick to making RPGs.

So, only two games.Now that Xenoblade is critically acclaimed (and are sales good?), hopefully they only stick to RPGs, and release at least three in a single generation...since JRPGs (that aren´t Final Fantasy) tend not to employ the latest and greatest graphical technology, and being part of Nintendo, who has no interest in hardware arms race, then that must count for something in them being able to release more quality games.

JGarret said:
dahuman said:
I really see Monolith doing great things, Xenoblade could have been better on some fronts, if they build up from that and can constantly create really good JRPGs, I'd be a really happy person. Mist Walker also has good design docs in general since we all know who runs the show there, it's just too bad that Lost Odyssey had some missing links still and The Last Story had to be toned down due to the Wii hardware level.

I see high potential in those 2 companies because their games actually get better, whereas other companies tend to play more one the safe side these days.

If only they can release more quality games in a shorter period of time...granted it´s no easy task, but it´s definitely possible, Squaresoft did it (look at that very small list on my previous post), RARE did it.

To do that Squaresoft had multiple teams. I wrote in the tread about Monolith Soft wanting to be like Betheda, that Nintendo does have quit a few quality and storied RPG developers that if they wanted to they could probally do better then Squaresoft ever did.

They have:

1st Party

Monolith Soft

Genius Sonority(spelling)

Brownie Brown

Intellegent Systems

2nd Party

Alpha Dream (Mario RPGs on NIntendo's handhelds)

Pokemon Company/Creatures Inc

Camelot Software Planing (Shining Series/Golden Sun)

The only problem is RPG development takes time and money and are a high risk/low reward investment at times.

BlkPaladin said:
JGarret said:
dahuman said:

To do that Squaresoft had multiple teams. I wrote in the tread about Monolith Soft wanting to be like Betheda, that Nintendo does have quit a few quality and storied RPG developers that if they wanted to they could probally do better then Squaresoft ever did.

They have:

1st Party

Monolith Soft

Genius Sonority(spelling)

Brownie Brown

Intellegent Systems

2nd Party

Alpha Dream (Mario RPGs on NIntendo's handhelds)

Pokemon Company/Creatures Inc

Camelot Software Planing (Shining Series/Golden Sun)

The only problem is RPG development takes time and money and are a high risk/low reward investment at times.

Now that you mention the part about Bethesda...I guess Skyrim is now the 'Call of Duty' of RPGs, it´s sold over 10 million copies and watch as a lot of devs will want to emulate Skyrim for their RPGs.

NobleTeam360 said:
Namco Bandai could be if they could get near the sell levels of Final Fantasy or Atlus.

Or if only they could get their games over here.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

No one will ever replace or come even close to Squaresoft, the stories in current rpgs are just mediocre.