By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gen-over-gen marketshare report

man-bear-pig said:

The Xbox 720 will sell more in Eirope than the PS4. You heard it here first folks!

Assuming you mean Europe? If so - No. About the same chance as Sony outselling Microsoft in America.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
dsgrue3 said:
Dodece said:
Oh Mah Gawd MS

MS will not take hits in order to expand the brand, they have shareholders to please. They did that this generation and are in a great place moving forward. There is just no justifiable reason they would take another hit when it isn't necessary. It will be profit above all next generation.

55% lmfao. Well, we'll see but this seems absolutely absurd. 

I would have thought those apply MUCH more to Sony now,

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying people that think MS is planning on taking another hit to try and increase market share again probably isn't accurate. That's why I don't think the next MS and Sony consoles will differ much in terms of performance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an edge to MS (because, as you implied, they can afford it).

man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

6-8 million. Well we'll probably be dead by the end of today (21st). So how much do you think it will sell in the next 11 hours and 48 minutes?

I bet it'll sell under 7m next year. Winner gets 1 month of AVATAR CONTROL! Deal?

No lol... that's in the middle of MY prediction. 

Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

6-8 million. Well we'll probably be dead by the end of today (21st). So how much do you think it will sell in the next 11 hours and 48 minutes?

I bet it'll sell under 7m next year. Winner gets 1 month of AVATAR CONTROL! Deal?

6.5m?

Carl2291 said:
man-bear-pig said:

The Xbox 720 will sell more in Eirope than the PS4. You heard it here first folks!

Assuming you mean Europe? If so - No. About the same chance as Sony outselling Microsoft in America.

The X720 will sell more than the PS4 in Europe. I will buy millions of X720's if that's what it takes to make my prediction materialise. BAHAHAH!

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

6.5m?

deal

psrock said:
Dodece said:
I think Microsoft will carry fifty five percent of the market share. Sony will carry thirty percent of the market share, and Nintendo will carry fifteen percent of the market share. Unlike some I will explain my reasoning with a concise listing of decisive factors. While I think previous trends are important. I think what is offered is what will be born out in the final analysis. I am going to skip the expounding this time around, because this thread is pretty fast paced, and I want a quick read, but I will be more then willing to expand these points if someone would like.

Microsoft
1. Has twenty one first party games/entertainment studios. More games, and original content equals more sales.
2. Has the best casual interfaces, and is developing augmenting technology, and is already truly universal.
3. Has the greatest cash reserves, revenue streams, and the will to use them to cut price points, overcompensate on hardware, or to acquire assets mid generation.
4. Has a lock on as the next edutainment device. You thought Master Chief and Mario were monsters. They are nothing compared to the sales power that is Dora the Explorer. Especially if one of Microsoft's entertainment studios streams truly interactive children's entertainment.

55% huh, are you on gametrailers by any chance?

Look at the front page and look How casual games have been doing this year on MS. Nintendo owns that part and will keep it. Sony will have more IPs than MS. 

Casual games are actually doing fairly well on the 360. Granted they aren't the newer titles, but it isn't written anywhere that demand should only be counted against the most recent releases. If we want to follow that logic PS3 owners really aren't into racing games, because only the old games actually sell really well. We can theorize as to why this is, but seeing as you probably aren't genuinely interested in understanding this. Then it is safe to say it would be a waste of my precious time to proceed on this specific point.

Looking at the sales of the Wii. I think it isn't the fact you claim it to be. The Wii and the 360 are competing motion control products, but Microsoft's console is selling over two times as many units. While holding a much higher price point. If that didn't make my point for me. Then the fact that Nintendo moved away from motion control centric play in their new console should. How can Nintendo hold or own a market that they have basically conceded to their rival. How can you win if your not in. Props to Nintendo for realizing that Microsoft had the better technology, and for not wasting time and money fighting a losing battle.

This flies right in the face of all reason, and it is purely wishful thinking on your part. Even if it were to come to pass it would be pretty awful for Sony, because for them to overcome Microsoft's advantage in total number of studios. Sony would have to suffer a myriad of software sales setbacks, and significantly lower the overall quality of their software. That is like losing a war to win a battle. I think Microsoft would gladly take that loss, because it would mean their intellectual properties would be selling well enough to warrant sequels. While Sony's intellectual properties would be almost to a title failing, and thus abandoned in favor of new original properties. What your effectively rooting for is the demise of God of War, Uncharted, Gran Tourismo, and Little Big Planet.

Anyway if Sony can make it into the new generation. I doubt they are going to be forced to abandon their best properties. If they have to do that then the game is pretty much up for them. It would mean that the market has turned its back on Sony's software, and that is probably over half the brand loyalty. In a kind of comincal way you are agreeing with me.

MS is rather new compared to the others in this market.. people forget Xbox 360 was only the 2nd console of this company. 360 sales outsold the USA grew slowly ( understandable with loyal Nintendo and Sony fans ) but the fact is they grew a lot over Xbox 1... But in the USA Xbox sales grew TREMENDOUSLY.

The fact is Sony can't be number 1 again unless it gets America back.. I don't think America will abandon the Xbox 3 so quickly..And now that the PS4 will drop a updated version of Cell and instead become more like an Xbox ( More like a PC ) under the leadership of someone new I think Sony has admitted and realized making a processor like Cell which made it harder for developers to make great games ( although they did and could - but it took more time = MORE MONEY ) would be another mistake to do it again.. And now will try and take a page from M$ book because they understand this something Xbox 360 did right.. technically it wasn't as powerful and it still didn't matter..

What a lot of Sony fans ( loyal to Sony - no other console ) don't understand is even if Sony passed Xbox 360 in sales it would still be the loser financially..

Google predicts Xbox 3 will crush PS4.. I did post that Sony make a comeback without gaining back the USA.. MS has a better chance of gaining ground in the rest of the world with its 3rd Xbox.. as it did with XB 360 over XB1...

http://www.ludos-mundi.com/2012/12/13/google-predicts-xbox-720-crush-ps4/

what about the big emerging markets for this gen,it should have an effect on sales in a few years,

i think price will be the major factor when MS/Sony launch,they could gain/lose share in europe and N.america,,i agree with Binary it feels like the they all have the same amount of Core supporters now so maybe this gen will be the 3-way split,maybe nintendo edging the share because of price and first party,i also think MS might lead the gen if nintendo slip up,so basically i haven't got a clue,it will depend a lot on online services and how they keep/please those customers with services

Above & Beyond