By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gen-over-gen marketshare report

Based on current situation:

Nintendo - 100%
MS - 0%
Sony - 0%

Haha, guys, Merry Christmas~! Dont be so serious...

Around the Network

Sony 35%
M$ 33%
Nintendo 32%

That's my prediction for next gen.

Not sure why it's so evident for some Sony is going to increase it's marketshare. My guess, it'll go down, while MS and Nintendo shares are indecisive at this point.

mai said:

Not sure why it's so evident for some Sony is going to increase it's marketshare. My guess, it'll go down, while MS and Nintendo shares are indecisive at this point.

This gen Sony made a fuckton of mistakes with their hardware. Not repeating some of them (massive loss, massive price) gives them a better chance at success, I don't think anyone at this point believes they are considering risking the repitition of that shitshow for Orbis (Hell, even if they wanted to they can't afford it). They also now recognise they need a big focus on software and user experience, and they're going into next gen with 1 more system-selling high profile franchise (Uncharted, along with GOW and GT).

sethnintendo said:
next gen
45% Nintendo
35% Sony
20% Microsoft

I'm hoping for Microsoft to bomb.

Why do you want the video games industry to be monopolize by Japan?

Around the Network

Next Gen Predictions
Consoles:

Sony : 45%
Microsoft : 29%
Nintendo : 26%

Handhelds
Nintendo: 71%
Sony: 29%

Andrespetmonkey said:
mai said:

This gen Sony made a fuckton of mistakes with their hardware. Not repeating some of them (massive loss, massive price) gives them a better chance at success, I don't think anyone at this point believes they are considering risking the repitition of that shitshow for Orbis (Hell, even if they wanted to they can't afford it). They also now recognise they need a big focus on software and user experience, and they're going into next gen with 1 more system-selling high profile franchise (Uncharted, along with GOW and GT).

Gilgamesh believes, and some avid Sony fans, too :D

I'm judging by how they handled PSV, the trend was obvious in late PSP life and it just continues with PSV, lesson wasn't learned. So if current trends next gen will persist (which not a given by any means, but I don't have my crystal ball with me atm), it'd be like this next gen:

Japan: Nintendo territory with Sony being relatively distant competitor and Microsoft far behind, overall diminishing sales from the region;
Europe: Sony territory with Microsoft being highly competitive (Nintendo = no clue), again diminishing sales from the region;
America: Microsoft territory with Nintendo being highly competitive or vice versa (Sony = no clue), the only region that has a chance to show slight downward trend or remain flattish.

But it depends on how 3rd parties will align their support, if they'll opt for MS and Sony again ditching Nintendo, the picture might be more favourable for Sony.

man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:

you were prepared to explain your Euro reasoning.

US is the same for 360.

Japan is the same for Nintendo.

its as simple as that.

I cant see why you would think the PS3 can regain some of japan, let alone US.

America - MS > Ninty >= Sony

Europe - Sony > Ninty > MS

Japan - Ninty >= Sony > MS

Elsewhere - Sony > Ninty >= MS

America will be held by MS quite easily, cutting into the Ninty share. They will drop and be around the same level as Sony.

Europe wont be close. Sony will take a large chunk of the Ninty share and MS share. Ninty's brand strength will still be too big for MS to compete.

Japan will be a lot closer. Sony will totally take MS share and Ninty will lose some Wii strength.

Elsewhere will be business as usual for Sony, except this time they wont be launching at $600.

This is extremely rough and not to be taken seriously in 5 Years time

More like this I'd say...

Europe - Sony >= MS > Ninty

Japan - Ninty > Sony > MS

Elsewhere - Sony >= MS >= Ninty

Ohh for the love of god, you actually think microsoft will get close to sony in europe? sony is getting further and further ahead of xbox in europe as the weeks go on, same with microsoft in america

Xbox has no chance of ever getting close to PS4 in europe, just like the PS4 has no chance of getting close to the 720 in america

mai said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Gilgamesh believes, and some avid Sony fans, too :D

I'm judging by how they handled PSV, the trend was obvious in late PSP life and it just continues with PSV, lesson wasn't learned.

The PSV has relatively cheap parts in it, had minimal R&D costs (from what we can tell, i.e. no or little quaterly losses when it was in development) and is sold at a small loss (if a loss at all). This is nothing like the PS3. The Vita's problem is taking a great home console strategy but applying it to a handheld (not necessarily talking about games here). If Sony take this hardware strategy with Orbis they'll likely see success, and Orbis is almost guaranteed to have small losses, better software, more third party support, and the PS brand is bigger in the home. Basically, Vita's problem isn't with its hardware, and the actual problems it has likely won't exist on a PS home console.

Also, the PS3 was such a costly beast largely because of Ken Kutaragi's oversight... he's no longer heading development. Kaz Hirai  is, and he's the one who helped turn the PS3 around.

007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:

More like this I'd say...

Europe - Sony >= MS > Ninty

Japan - Ninty > Sony > MS

Elsewhere - Sony >= MS >= Ninty

Ohh for the love of god, you actually think microsoft will get close to sony in europe? sony is getting further and further ahead of xbox in europe as the weeks go on, same with microsoft in america

Xbox has no chance of ever getting close to PS4 in europe, just like the PS4 has no chance of getting close to the 720 in america

"No chance of getting close"?

lololololololololololol

PS3 Europe sales: 27.55m

X360 Europe sales: 22.51

The X360 has nearly sold as much as the PS3 in Europe. Next-gen Microsoft is gonna continue to push the Xbox brand in Europe and Sony won't be able to complete with them in any aspect (due to lack of wonga). Because Microsoft have more Benjamins than Sony they can advertise more, undercut Sonys hardware, blah blah, etc. etc. 

The Xbox 720 will sell more in Eirope than the PS4. You heard it here first folks!