By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gen-over-gen marketshare report

BluGamer23 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
mai said:

Not sure why it's so evident for some Sony is going to increase it's marketshare. My guess, it'll go down, while MS and Nintendo shares are indecisive at this point.

This gen Sony made a fuckton of mistakes with their hardware. Not repeating some of them (massive loss, massive price) gives them a better chance at success, I don't think anyone at this point believes they are considering risking the repitition of that shitshow for Orbis (Hell, even if they wanted to they can't afford it). They also now recognise they need a big focus on software and user experience, and they're going into next gen with 1 more system-selling high profile franchise (Uncharted, along with GOW and GT).

LOL.. I would have thought they would have realized everything you said before they released the vita.. 'will not make the same mistake'... yet they went a head with the vita... that shows me they jussstt... might release a mega-monster-spec-console... lol not to be outdone by MS..

as for not making the same mistake again.. LOL.. ill believe it when I see it! ..

Did your reply really need to be this obnoxious? -_-

"The PSV has relatively cheap parts in it, had minimal R&D costs (from what we can tell, i.e. no or little quaterly losses when it was in development) and is sold at a small loss (if a loss at all). This is nothing like the PS3. The Vita's problem is taking a great home console strategy but applying it to a handheld (not necessarily talking about games here). If Sony take this hardware strategy with Orbis they'll likely see success, and Orbis is almost guaranteed to have small losses, better software, more third party support, and the PS brand is bigger in the home. Basically, Vita's problem isn't with its hardware, and the actual problems it has likely won't exist on a PS home console.

Also, the PS3 was such a costly beast largely because of Ken Kutaragi's oversight... he's no longer heading development. Kaz Hirai  is, and he's the one who helped turn the PS3 around."

Around the Network
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:

More like this I'd say...

America - MS > Ninty >= Sony

Europe - Sony >= MS > Ninty

Japan - Ninty > Sony > MS

Elsewhere - Sony >= MS >= Ninty

Ohh for the love of god, you actually think microsoft will get close to sony in europe? sony is getting further and further ahead of xbox in europe as the weeks go on, same with microsoft in america

Xbox has no chance of ever getting close to PS4 in europe, just like the PS4 has no chance of getting close to the 720 in america

"No chance of getting close"?

lololololololololololol

PS3 Europe sales: 27.55m

X360 Europe sales: 22.51

The X360 has nearly sold as much as the PS3 in Europe. Next-gen Microsoft is gonna continue to push the Xbox brand in Europe and Sony won't be able to complete with them in any aspect (due to lack of wonga). Because Microsoft have more Benjamins than Sony they can advertise more, undercut Sonys hardware, blah blah, etc. etc. 

The Xbox 720 will sell more in Eirope than the PS4. You heard it here first folks!

That's because you're the only one silly enough to make such a stupid prediction, and didn't you read my post at all? i said sony is getting further and further ahead in europe, you should check the recent charts, sony is nearly 2:1 ahead

That's because all Europeans are aware the the X720 will come out next year and they're saving their money for that.

Guess that explains why ps3 is lagging in north america, everyone is just waiting for the PS4

No, North Americans aren't aware that the PS4 is launching next year I don't think.

What make's you think that.

If europeans are following the next xbox "as you claim" then why wouldn't americans follow the PS4? Isn't the PS3 more popular in north america then what the 360 is in europe?

Nope.

Andrespetmonkey said:

The PSV has relatively cheap parts in it, had minimal R&D costs (from what we can tell, i.e. no or little quaterly losses when it was in development) and is sold at a small loss (if a loss at all). This is nothing like the PS3. The Vita's problem is taking a great home console strategy but applying it to a handheld (not necessarily talking about games here). If Sony take this hardware strategy with Orbis they'll likely see success, and Orbis is almost guaranteed to have small losses, better software, more third party support, and the PS brand is bigger in the home. Basically, Vita's problem isn't with its hardware, and the actual problems it has likely won't exist on a PS home console.

Also, the PS3 was such a costly beast largely because of Ken Kutaragi's oversight... he's no longer heading development. Kaz Hirai  is, and he's the one who helped turn the PS3 around.

Of course not, never said anything like that. I do not believe PS4 will follow PS3 steps despite how some fans want them to do exactly the same mistakes. PSV example was just to illustrate mistreatment due to not understanding shifting market or just not caring enough. Sony absolutely will support PS4 better by a mile, but only 3rd party support will make it successful just like it did with PS3. At the time of previous gen install base was somewhat limited due to Wii occupying half of the install base but not providing for 3rd parties a viable platform to publish games they want to (or only could) make, so PS3 came in handy for multiplats. I beleive it could be seen from here that this gen all three will have comparable hardware and engines sizeable enough to port games to the entire install base without compromising much of a quality and cheaply enough. So what it gives us here? Either all three will be equally supported (so it up to 1st and 2nd party to make the difference and other not so gaming oriented features, I do see Nintendo and Microsoft might have an edge here over Sony), or someone from big 3 will be left behind (could be Nintendo again, who knows?).

Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:

The Xbox 720 will sell more in Eirope than the PS4. You heard it here first folks!

Up for a bet? 

Is there any point? It'll be about 10 years until we can declare a winner.

So? And not really... we'll get a good idea in 3 probably. I'm willing to bet orbis will be ahead by the 1st of jan 2016... even if it releases a year later.

We'll all probably be dead by then. Screw that! How much do you think the PSV will sell next year?

Andrespetmonkey said:
BluGamer23 said:
LOL.. I would have thought they would have realized everything you said before they released the vita.. 'will not make the same mistake'... yet they went a head with the vita... that shows me they jussstt... might release a mega-monster-spec-console... lol not to be outdone by MS.. 

as for not making the same mistake again.. LOL.. ill believe it when I see it! ..

"The PSV has relatively cheap parts in it, had minimal R&D costs (from what we can tell, i.e. no or little quaterly losses when it was in development) and is sold at a small loss (if a loss at all). This is nothing like the PS3. The Vita's problem is taking a great home console strategy but applying it to a handheld (not necessarily talking about games here). If Sony take this hardware strategy with Orbis they'll likely see success, and Orbis is almost guaranteed to have small losses, better software, more third party support, and the PS brand is bigger in the home. Basically, Vita's problem isn't with its hardware, and the actual problems it has likely won't exist on a PS home console.

Also, the PS3 was such a costly beast largely because of Ken Kutaragi's oversight... he's no longer heading development. Kaz Hirai  is, and he's the one who helped turn the PS3 around."

Did your reply really need to be this obnoxious? -_-<-- its on auto while I type..  

If Sony take this hardware strategy with Orbis they'll likely see success <-- you seem so sure about their success nextgen.. then again maybe I dont read enough sony-stuff.. but ok! ..I cant comment further until more has been revealed.. ill wait.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:
007BondAgent said:
man-bear-pig said:

More like this I'd say...

America - MS > Ninty >= Sony

Europe - Sony >= MS > Ninty

Japan - Ninty > Sony > MS

Elsewhere - Sony >= MS >= Ninty

Ohh for the love of god, you actually think microsoft will get close to sony in europe? sony is getting further and further ahead of xbox in europe as the weeks go on, same with microsoft in america

Xbox has no chance of ever getting close to PS4 in europe, just like the PS4 has no chance of getting close to the 720 in america

"No chance of getting close"?

lololololololololololol

PS3 Europe sales: 27.55m

X360 Europe sales: 22.51

The X360 has nearly sold as much as the PS3 in Europe. Next-gen Microsoft is gonna continue to push the Xbox brand in Europe and Sony won't be able to complete with them in any aspect (due to lack of wonga). Because Microsoft have more Benjamins than Sony they can advertise more, undercut Sonys hardware, blah blah, etc. etc. 

That's because you're the only one silly enough to make such a stupid prediction, and didn't you read my post at all? i said sony is getting further and further ahead in europe, you should check the recent charts, sony is nearly 2:1 ahead

That's because all Europeans are aware the the X720 will come out next year and they're saving their money for that.

Guess that explains why ps3 is lagging in north america, everyone is just waiting for the PS4

No, North Americans aren't aware that the PS4 is launching next year I don't think.

What make's you think that.

If europeans are following the next xbox "as you claim" then why wouldn't americans follow the PS4? Isn't the PS3 more popular in north america then what the 360 is in europe?

Nope.

22m > 23m? okay then.

kowenicki said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

The man who brought us the PSP GO?  No he isnt. 

Andrew House is.

What's that dude's position? I thought Kaz was CEO (+ he's always at major PS events)?

man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

So? And not really... we'll get a good idea in 3 probably. I'm willing to bet orbis will be ahead by the 1st of jan 2016... even if it releases a year later.

We'll all probably be dead by then. Screw that! How much do you think the PSV will sell next year?

6-8 million. Well we'll probably be dead by the end of today (21st). So how much do you think it will sell in the next 11 hours and 48 minutes?

Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

6-8 million. Well we'll probably be dead by the end of today (21st). So how much do you think it will sell in the next 11 hours and 48 minutes?

I bet it'll sell under 7m next year. Winner gets 1 month of AVATAR CONTROL! Deal?

I'm not going to make a prediction until I know what Sony and Microsoft are actually producing because it is plausable that Sony and Microsoft will produce a system that is much different than people are expecting ...

Essentially, either manufacturer could produce a system that was less powerful and more expensive than people here expect; potentially because they're focused on a new user-interface of their own. For example, Microsoft might release a system that was 4 times as powerful as the XBox 360 that was bundled with an advanced version of Kinect and sell it for $500; and, with how few Kinect games are sold and how disappointed people have been with "core" Kinect experiences, there is nothing saying that Kinect-2 would be able to move a $500 system the way Kinect moved a $300 system.