By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 crossed 70mil: Celebrate ?

Sure, celebrate it, it's an important milestone. And don't forget: it's the third-placed console that sells 70 million. Never before a console not winning the gen was getting near to this milestone. Even some of the winners didn't make it past that number. So hell yeah, it's a great achievement.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Celebrate yes.
Is there a kind soul here to resurrect a couple of threads, one from back when people thought that PS3 will win the generation based on it's illustrious predecessor power, and one from later when people thought Sony shoudl just kill the PS3 off.
Just for laughs.

Mensrea said:

It's just odd to me that the PS3 can push 70 million units, and it's exclusives still sell terribly. I'm glad it has reached 70 million, I hope that it overtakes the 360. It's truly a great console, that I love.

Well now that's not true lol.

There's gonna be a party on my wall and EVERYBODY'S invited!

Around the Network

Undertracked / overtracked ? It doesnt matter. Currently VG data shows ps3 over 70 million!
Congrats for 3rd place? :P

archbrix said:
gergroy said:
thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:
According to Sony, ps3 crossed 70 million back in the beginning of November..

sold to consumer sales don't matter that much, when the console sells through all the time and within the month

This makes me believe that the PS3 is undertracked here.  It'll be 5 weeks since that announcement, one of which was Black Friday (the PS3 was up YOY in America and slightly up in Japan), yet the PS3 will have barely inched past those shipment numbers.  Being this close to Xmas, that's just a little hard to believe.  I guess we'll find out in a month or so when Nintendo releases the sales charts.

Nah, being close to christmas makes it easier to believe.  Hardware makers stuff the retail channels right before christmas so that the retailers are less likely to run out of their product.  Most people dont understand that the hardware makers dont actuallyship directly to the stores, they ship to the retailers distrubution center which stores them and divies them out in small increments based on sell through numbers.ggg

Exactly this.g

OT: Congrats to the PS3. When the least selling console (currently) of a generation is moving 70m units, you know the industry is doing well.

i thought hardwsre makers couldn't stuff a channel?

This explains how quality is important than quantity.

GRAN TURISMO, UNCHARTED, GOD OF WAR, HEAVY RAIN and the upcoming 2013 exclusives.

theprof00 said:
archbrix said:
gergroy said:
thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:

sold to consumer sales don't matter that much, when the console sells through all the time and within the month

This makes me believe that the PS3 is undertracked here.  It'll be 5 weeks since that announcement, one of which was Black Friday (the PS3 was up YOY in America and slightly up in Japan), yet the PS3 will have barely inched past those shipment numbers.  Being this close to Xmas, that's just a little hard to believe.  I guess we'll find out in a month or so when Nintendo releases the sales charts.

Nah, being close to christmas makes it easier to believe.  Hardware makers stuff the retail channels right before christmas so that the retailers are less likely to run out of their product.  Most people dont understand that the hardware makers dont actuallyship directly to the stores, they ship to the retailers distrubution center which stores them and divies them out in small increments based on sell through numbers.ggg

Exactly this.g

OT: Congrats to the PS3. When the least selling console (currently) of a generation is moving 70m units, you know the industry is doing well.

i thought hardwsre makers couldn't stuff a channel?

Well, Sony isn't forcing more units than the distribution centers want/need, but I believe that they were well stocked back in November when Sony announced their 70m shipped.  Basically, what I was saying is that it makes sense that this last week marked the official "70m+ actually sold to consumers".

archbrix said:
theprof00 said:
archbrix said:
gergroy said:
thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:

Well, Sony isn't forcing more units than the distribution centers want/need, but I believe that they were well stocked back in November when Sony announced their 70m shipped.  Basically, what I was saying is that it makes sense that this last week marked the official "70m+ actually sold to consumers".

Your telling me that retailers have thousands of Ps3's stockpiled in their warehouse for over a month? Doubtful. More likely than not Sony increases shipments closer to Christmas. No reason to ship 2 million units in Oct when you wont sell that many till December