By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 crossed 70mil: Celebrate ?

gergroy said:
thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:
According to Sony, ps3 crossed 70 million back in the beginning of November..

sold to consumer sales don't matter that much, when the console sells through all the time and within the month

This makes me believe that the PS3 is undertracked here.  It'll be 5 weeks since that announcement, one of which was Black Friday (the PS3 was up YOY in America and slightly up in Japan), yet the PS3 will have barely inched past those shipment numbers.  Being this close to Xmas, that's just a little hard to believe.  I guess we'll find out in a month or so when Nintendo releases the sales charts.

Nah, being close to christmas makes it easier to believe.  Hardware makers stuff the retail channels right before christmas so that the retailers are less likely to run out of their product.  Most people dont understand that the hardware makers dont actuallyship directly to the stores, they ship to the retailers distrubution center which stores them and divies them out in small increments based on sell through numbers.

Exactly this.

OT: Congrats to the PS3. When the least selling console (currently) of a generation is moving 70m units, you know the industry is doing well.

Around the Network

Woooooooooooooooo.

Chips and pop at my place everybody!

Very good to hear, and particularly surprising if you look at the launch!

The question is, how much life does it have left? Another 20mil, perhaps.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Mensrea said:
It's just odd to me that the PS3 can push 70 million units, and it's exclusives still sell terribly. I'm glad it has reached 70 million, I hope that it overtakes the 360. It's truly a great console, that I love.

Sonys IP's have sold pretty well, its just that they lack that blockbuster online shooter IPs that Microsoft posesses. 

I bought my PS3 in March 2007.
it cost me 600 euros at the time.
I am very pleased with it ... bluray is wonderful!!!!!
online gaming
good games (especially gt5 which'm addicted)

however ... sony made ​​some mistakes which is why in my view was not the best but sales still believe that will reach to top next year

Around the Network
paulao said:
however ... sony made ​​some mistakes which is why in my view was not the best but sales still believe that will reach to top next year

1. Not so good on handling PSN hack?

2. Inhouse manufacturing for CELL?

3. Too slow on bringing the heavy hit exclusives?

On a side note lets not forget that sony had the biggest loss on each unit sold. I think it was 3 years ago that they made money on each ps3 sold.

I brougth my console in March 2009 with Killzone 2, GTA 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm not sure when I'll be buying the ps4 though.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Anyways lets all have a project x type of party

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Congrats but I already celebrated in November, 4th.

No need to come up with silly reasons why or why it didn't cross it sooner, it now has, congrats Sony, on to 80M!