By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Black Friday sales break 685,000

nice

i was beginning to think it was really going to do less than 400k

Around the Network
Potable_Toe said:
the2real4mafol said:
Good numbers but can I ever trust Vgchartz again? I don't know. They undertracked both systems by alot. They said PS3 sold 395000 in america while sony say 525000, a huge difference. While, Sony claim Vita sold double the amount that Vgchartz claim. Not good for the website is it, especially as Xbox was overtracked too (Microsoft said 750000 not 830000!)

Unlike Sony's press release that specifically states North America Microsofts PR states "in the U.S. alone". Dependant on what Sony include as North America it could mean everything North of Panama (inc the Caribbean) to just Greenland or any combination of nations in between.

The figures i saw from Sony and Microsoft actually said US only

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

pezus said:
Where's Kowen when you need him?

He was in your 'How did the PS3 manage these sales with NO exclusives' Fred last time I checked.

pezus said:
Where's Kowen when you need him?

I already saw two comments from him but seems like he is a little shy (is that the right word???).

BenVTrigger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BenVTrigger said:
Well its official Vgchartz tracking has officially tanked

Great results for sony. It's amazing how well the 360 and PS3 are doing this late in the generation

Its amazing how well the PS3 and 360 have done? On consoles its mostly games and the device specs that sell the console to late adopters. In America gaming is quickly becoming a gaming culture and with this many high profile titles at the end of the gen its no wonder they are selling. 

Of course its amazing....

No other generati9n has the market fully supported muktiple home consooes like this.  The fact that both PS3 and 360 are still going strong is awesome.  Anyone who says the industry is dying are fools.  Im just glad to see both consoles doing excellent

::points to the head of Ubisoft::

Anyway, Last gen the consoles never went out with as many high profile games as they are now. There seems to be still be lots of stock in this console cycle. The console will definitely hit 80 million before the end.

Around the Network

It seem PS3 sold 850k WW if VGZ numbers for EU are right...

VGKing said:

SIGH.

"it is normal for sales to increase in the holidays"
Well, duh! I know that. I'm not stupid.

But here's the thing, a "dead" console wouldn't post such a large increase in sales, on any week. Vita sales are encouraging. There is life in the system and it can only go up from here. 

Look at Black Friday sales for Xbox 360 the first Black Friday on the market. 
November 2006 - 240,843

Or a better comparision would be PSP's Black Friday for that same year
November 2006 - 186,201

Sales will get better as Vita gets more games and as the price goes down and brand awareness goes up.

First: I didn't want to offend you with my post. Sorry if I came off as rude. 

When did I call the Vita a dead console? I said sales are horrible for Black Friday because they are. Sales could go up in the future, sure. But these sales are not encouraging, they are just what was to be expected. Again Gamecube sold just as much if not better during the holidays - did that encourage developers to make more games for it? Not really. What about the PSP and its western support? Your PSP numbers prove my point. As for the 360: There's a difference between 160k and 240k and the 360 always had an HD twin on the horizon that would increase the hw install base for multiplatform titles. It was safe to develop for the 360.

Please note I'm not saying these sales are lower than expected! I actually like the Vita a lot and I want it to succeed. But if it succeeds it won't do so because of this years' Black Friday sales. That's all I'm saying. It's up to Sony to push the platform now, give it better first party support and price it competitively. I know I always sound like a party pooper. I just think people on gaming forums in general are way too optimistic at times. When the 3DS was announced I raised concerns about a lack of mass market appeal and no one listened to me. Look at the sales. I'm a 3D whore and I still think Nintendo must be total nuts to include a 3D display in a handheld console. Or look at the predictions people had for the Wii U's first week in the US. We just need to accept that our tastes are not in line with the mass market most of the time and therefore our gut feeling as to whether a console will sell or not is often wrong. 

pezus said:
Potable_Toe said:
the2real4mafol said:
Good numbers but can I ever trust Vgchartz again? I don't know. They undertracked both systems by alot. They said PS3 sold 395000 in america while sony say 525000, a huge difference. While, Sony claim Vita sold double the amount that Vgchartz claim. Not good for the website is it, especially as Xbox was overtracked too (Microsoft said 750000 not 830000!)

Unlike Sony's press release that specifically states North America Microsofts PR states "in the U.S. alone". Dependant on what Sony include as North America it could mean everything North of Panama (inc the Caribbean) to just Greenland or any combination of nations in between.

Actually, most websites say 525k in USA. The 360 number is higher because MS only reported sales for 6 days

... well I was basing it off the source in the OP but having just checked IGN, they state US, so perhaps part of my post is now redundant. Doesn't VGC use an 87% ratio for US sales in comparison with the North America region in their tracking because that translates quite nicely to the figures VGC has on the home page atleast that was how I rationalised the extra ontop.

I'm surprised more people haven't brought up the 200% increase I LA. Markets like that are what really support a console in its twilight years. That gives more credence to the idea that PS3 will have a a long tail, at least slightly similar to the PS2.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

People saying stop bashin VGC... Why? VGC is always wrong. I stopped using their numbers 2 years ago after realizing the always undertracked Ps3 over Christmas period.

Those saying Vita undertracked if anything. Thats completely wrong. When Sony announced shipped numbers they included both PSP and Vita. If the PSP somehow magically selling decent again then it would be undertracked but you can see that from its other shipped figures the data is mostly for Vita. Also, you can see that in these numbers as well.