By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Black Friday sales break 685,000

Soundwave said:
160k for the biggest shopping week of the year for a new system with a $80 price reduction for the week + relatively new color + high-end game bundled + download code for another new game ... isn't good by basically any metric. Even the GameCube would be ashamed of itself for a Black Friday week like that.

But it's better than the "dead as heck" level the Vita is usually at.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bad, but compared the Vita selling under 5k per week in Japan, or 35k for the entire month in recent NPD's, people think it actually looks good.

And I'm guessing a lot of the sales are too people who dont even know what it is. They just needed SOMETHING to buy, so they were like "oh, Sony has a new handheld? Guess I'll buy it"

Around the Network

sony ... "especially the incredible reception for the PS3 and PS Vita bundles"

160.000 Vita Bundles is incredible reception? Sonys expectations must be very, very, very, low.

z101 said:
sony ... "especially the incredible reception for the PS3 and PS Vita bundles"

160.000 Vita Bundles is incredible reception? Sonys expectations must be very, very, very, low.

Accutally giving that it was being wrote off as a dead system these are pretty promising numbers. I have no doubt that the Vita will have its breaking point just like the 3DS before it.The Playstation brand has regrown a massive stance and this year proves that the future of Playstation is strong. Next generation is going to be interesting.

Seems like I was fairly close with my predictions for the Wii U, PS3, and 360, at least. A first for me!

chapset said:
So much hate on vgchartz when they actually are correct (90+)% of the time and when they are wrong, most of the time, it's within the margin of error, you guys need to realize this site provide estimates nothing more, nothing less. they do surveys and have limited data collection capabilities fluctuation are pretty much guaranteed and this is when you get wrong numbers like the one this week don't get so hold up on weekly numbers

the faster you learn that is just absolutly not true the faster we get past the sales wars. They have massive adjustments after every financial report and npd. If they didnt get those they would be as far off as nextgenwars

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
chapset said:
So much hate on vgchartz when they actually are correct (90+)% of the time and when they are wrong, most of the time, it's within the margin of error, you guys need to realize this site provide estimates nothing more, nothing less. they do surveys and have limited data collection capabilities fluctuation are pretty much guaranteed and this is when you get wrong numbers like the one this week don't get so hold up on weekly numbers

the faster you learn that is just absolutly not true the faster we get past the sales wars. They have massive adjustments after every financial report and npd. If they didnt get those they would be as far off as nextgenwars

Massive lol, you mean a few hundred thousands out of the millions that are sold during those period, stop the drama

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
chapset said:

Massive lol, you mean a few hundred thousands out of the millions that are sold during those period, stop the drama

In what scientific field is 30% error on ANY estimate considered acceptable? Meteorology maybe.

dsgrue3 said:
chapset said:
chapset said:

In what scientific field is 30% error on ANY estimate considered acceptable? Meteorology maybe.

this time maybe, but it's not the case in most adjustment, they end up within 5% of the margin of error

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
dsgrue3 said:
chapset said:
chapset said:

this time maybe, but it's not the case in most adjustment, they end up within 5% of the margin of error

That's just simply not true. And yes massive. I remember it was either 08 or 09 that VGC undertracked the Ps3 by like a million units during 4th quarter. I know they undertacked it both years but one was ridiculous. Everyone thought MS won but after financials came out it shed a different light on sales and ioi had to go back and fudge the entire quarter numbers.

Only reason they are even close to the right numbers is because of their constant adjustments. If VGC had 1 year without looking at any financials they would be a lot further than 5% off. Especially if they didn't use other tracking sites such as NPD or mediacreate which helps them along the way to adjust numbers before financials

VGKing said:
UncleScrooge said:
Those are some really good PS3 numbers. It's quite amazing to see both the PS3 and 360 doing great after all these years.

Vita sales are bad though. I said 250k for 3DS was terrible in another thread because 250k is terrible for Black Friday. 160k is even more terrible. Even the Gamecube did way (way!) better. With all the bundles this could very well have been the biggest week for the Vita in the US. The 3DS did 160k in Japan last week - and that's without any holiday boost yet! That's how bad Vita numbers are. Granted, 3DS sales aren't a lot better. Not a great Black Friday for handhelds in the US.

No, Vita sales are VERY GOOD.
3DS numbers are the ones that are bad compared to last Black Friday. This is Vita's first holiday and it looks like the marketing is finally working.

At 160k vs the 3DS 250k, the Vita is very competitive.

3DS is being cannibized by the DS though.  The Vita doesn't have that problem with the PSP.  It also remains to be seen if Vita is competitive for the month, not just Black Friday.  The 3DS also only had one bundle and no price slashes like the Vita had.  A lot worked in Vita's favor and it's still 90k behind.