By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Black Friday sales break 685,000

UncleScrooge said:
VGKing said:
UncleScrooge said:

This is not how it works though... it's not about market share but total sales. So I guess Gamecube, Dreamcast and Xbox had "very good" sales too? This has nothing to do with marketing it is simply the normal boost a console gets around Black Friday. 3DS underperformed because it had no new games. You are acting like Vita sales were supposed to stay at October levels or something. This is exactly the boost one should have predicted for Black Friday week.

I'll say it again: I'm not bitching because I hate Sony. I'm bitching about Nintendo as well. But you can't change the truth. 160k is bad and you can't spin that. 250k is bad as well and you are right the 3DS underperformed. I absolutely agree with that. But the Vita won't get a single additional game because of this. It is selling bad and the 3DS selling bad as well doesn't change that.

Not saying this 160k guarantees more 3rd party support...I did expect the sales to be near October levels this week.(Vgchartz did too apparantly)

The fact that Vita actually got such a big boost is very promising. This means it's not dead. This could also be the turning point for Vita.

@bold
No, compared to the PS2 they had horrible sales, even on Black Friday.
BTW, marketshare = sales.

Like I've been saying all along, it could only take 1 holiday to really push the Vita to a healthy install base. It's a shame we'll have to wait so long to find out though, VgChartz isn't reliable anymore.

Well you haven't been on this site for too long so maybe you really didn't expect a lot. It's a pretty normal boost for Black Friday though. It's also normal for lower selling platforms to get a higher percentage boost. And how being the lowest selling platform can be considered a turning point is beyond me. Again: It is normal for sales to increase over the holidays. Developers already considered that in their decisions to develop or not develop Vita games. Selling 160k on Black Friday is the equivalent of selling 20k or so during a normal week. 

Gamecube etc had bad sales not only compared to PS2. They simply sold bad. Once sales are too low to justify support there's no way to spin this anymore. 3DS sales in the west are low too but at least it's got Japan and strong 1st party support. It will get the games, just not the western ones. Gamecube sold what 75% of Xbox sales in the west? And that was still too low to get support. It's not about market share.

And no, market share /= total sales. Seriously...

See, in your last sentence you are talking about a "healthy install base". That's exactly what this is about. It doesn't matter whether the PSV has a 10%, 20% or 50% market share as long as sales are too low to justify support. You can spin this all you want. The bad sales won't go away. You can deceive yourself or other people but reality ain't gonna change.

SIGH.

"it is normal for sales to increase in the holidays"
Well, duh! I know that. I'm not stupid.

But here's the thing, a "dead" console wouldn't post such a large increase in sales, on any week. Vita sales are encouraging. There is life in the system and it can only go up from here. 

Look at Black Friday sales for Xbox 360 the first Black Friday on the market. 
November 2006 - 240,843

Or a better comparision would be PSP's Black Friday for that same year
November 2006 - 186,201

Sales will get better as Vita gets more games and as the price goes down and brand awareness goes up.

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
UncleScrooge said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I think next holiday season nintendo will have an even tougher task than this year, with the wiiu. We will most probably see price cuts for both ps360 and we will most likely know of the next gen consoles from them as well.

The games for the Wii U should be there next year but price will be the big problem. Nintendo doesn't get that you can't raise prices of your products by $100 without loosing sales. Even if they cut the price by $50 next christmas that'd still be $249 without a bundled game. Compared to the Wii + Wii Sports combo that's pretty bad value considering Wii Sports had way bigger mass market appeal and the Wii looked way more inviting as a console. Long story short: I agree

hehe yeah. The thing is I expect some insane value bundles next holiday season for ps360. I will be surprised if they will be down yoy a lot for next black friday. I think the reveals of the next ps/xbox will play a big part also. Depending how impressive/bad they are, some might hold off buying new consoles altogether.

But nintendo have shown they are willing drop prices if needed. And with comments like wiiu makign aprofit with one game sold etc I think they might be able to afford it in a year. Should be very interesting

Hmmm... when do you expect PS4 / Xbox3 to be released? I think we'll see them by late 2013 so I expect sales for PS360 to be down considerably (lack of games and lack of willingness to push them). 

Nintendo is indeed willing to drop prices but you should take their "Wii U + 1 game" claim with a grain of salt. Maybe they were just talking manufacturing costs or didn't take software development costs into account. Nintendo's bottom line (and sales) have been worse than expected for some years in a row now and if they don't get out of the red soon they might soon be in the situation Sony is currently in: In need for a price cut but without the resources to do so. But yeah I totally expect them to get into panic mode next year and cut the Wii U price by christmas.

UncleScrooge said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
UncleScrooge said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I think next holiday season nintendo will have an even tougher task than this year, with the wiiu. We will most probably see price cuts for both ps360 and we will most likely know of the next gen consoles from them as well.

The games for the Wii U should be there next year but price will be the big problem. Nintendo doesn't get that you can't raise prices of your products by $100 without loosing sales. Even if they cut the price by $50 next christmas that'd still be $249 without a bundled game. Compared to the Wii + Wii Sports combo that's pretty bad value considering Wii Sports had way bigger mass market appeal and the Wii looked way more inviting as a console. Long story short: I agree

hehe yeah. The thing is I expect some insane value bundles next holiday season for ps360. I will be surprised if they will be down yoy a lot for next black friday. I think the reveals of the next ps/xbox will play a big part also. Depending how impressive/bad they are, some might hold off buying new consoles altogether.

But nintendo have shown they are willing drop prices if needed. And with comments like wiiu makign aprofit with one game sold etc I think they might be able to afford it in a year. Should be very interesting

Hmmm... when do you expect PS4 / Xbox3 to be released? I think we'll see them by late 2013 so I expect sales for PS360 to be down considerably (lack of games and lack of willingness to push them). 

Nintendo is indeed willing to drop prices but you should take their "Wii U + 1 game" claim with a grain of salt. Maybe they were just talking manufacturing costs or didn't take software development costs into account. Nintendo's bottom line (and sales) have been worse than expected for some years in a row now and if they don't get out of the red soon they might soon be in the situation Sony is currently in: In need for a price cut but without the resources to do so. But yeah I totally expect them to get into panic mode next year and cut the Wii U price by christmas.

yeah the upcoming financials in the next few quarters should help us understand better their situation with the wiiu. But honestly, it feels like they have cut corners as much as they can when it comes to wiiu hardware. Ram/cpu/batterty etc. My guess is the bulk of the expense must be for the gamepad. I wonder if they consider R&D etc in this as well...at least they should. I think in a years time they should be able to cut the price if needed...but yeah financials will help get a better understanding

as for release dates..I am guessing sony will release in Japan next year and rest of the world in Spring. Xbox will launch end of next year. However they definitely might change their plans depending on how wiiu/ps3/360 perform sales wise. If the wiiu doesn't put enough pressure on them + if ps360 sales are meeting their expectations they might put the launch to 2014 altogether. I personally don't mind as I think the next years software line up is insanely good.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

pezus said:

Liberation should really be up there in the chartz this week...Is it even in the top 100 here?

Is it retail or digital???

Anyway 36th in US chart with 72k units.

pezus said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
sales2099 said:

Its hard to believe the PS3 did that good. Why did they wait so long to report this good news?

Shouldn't be a surprise. people tend to jump to conclusion that if sony is late with the PR it must be bad...yet they are late even if they are doing well. It has happened before with NPD as well.

and also this

"The Assassin's Creed III: Liberation PS Vita bundle was especially popular, with Amazon selling through its entire stock in under five hours"

Liberation should really be up there in the chartz this week...Is it even in the top 100 here?

I honestly don't think I have been to a sales thread here in a long long time. Ubi have said they are very pleased with the initial numbers for the game. What we have to keep in mind is that the budget for these titles are no where near the console games. This is why XSeed said they are happy with the reception for Ragnarok even before the release, just going by the pre-order numbers. I fully expect sequels to both of them

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

PS vita, now slightly less dead. Good for it! Now back to Persona.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

the2real4mafol said:
Good numbers but can I ever trust Vgchartz again? I don't know. They undertracked both systems by alot. They said PS3 sold 395000 in america while sony say 525000, a huge difference. While, Sony claim Vita sold double the amount that Vgchartz claim. Not good for the website is it, especially as Xbox was overtracked too (Microsoft said 750000 not 830000!)

Unlike Sony's press release that specifically states North America Microsofts PR states "in the U.S. alone". Dependant on what Sony include as North America it could mean everything North of Panama (inc the Caribbean) to just Greenland or any combination of nations in between.

Potable_Toe said:
the2real4mafol said:
Good numbers but can I ever trust Vgchartz again? I don't know. They undertracked both systems by alot. They said PS3 sold 395000 in america while sony say 525000, a huge difference. While, Sony claim Vita sold double the amount that Vgchartz claim. Not good for the website is it, especially as Xbox was overtracked too (Microsoft said 750000 not 830000!)

Unlike Sony's press release that specifically states North America Microsofts PR states "in the U.S. alone". Dependant on what Sony include as North America it could mean everything North of Panama (inc the Caribbean) to just Greenland or any combination of nations in between.

Actually i read that the PR itself mentions US specifically.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BenVTrigger said:
Well its official Vgchartz tracking has officially tanked

Great results for sony. It's amazing how well the 360 and PS3 are doing this late in the generation

Its amazing how well the PS3 and 360 have done? On consoles its mostly games and the device specs that sell the console to late adopters. In America gaming is quickly becoming a gaming culture and with this many high profile titles at the end of the gen its no wonder they are selling. 

Of course its amazing....

No other generati9n has the market fully supported muktiple home consooes like this.  The fact that both PS3 and 360 are still going strong is awesome.  Anyone who says the industry is dying are fools.  Im just glad to see both consoles doing excellent

Potable_Toe said:
the2real4mafol said:

The Sony's PR states US too in mostly of the sites I read...

The 750k to 800k gap is because the Microsoft's PR is just six days (from Sunday to Friday)... so VGC estimated more 50k for the Saturday to fill the full week.

Sony and Nintendo data are seven days (Sunday to Saturday)... the full week already.