By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who is NOT Buying WiiU? And Why?

d21lewis said:
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Everybody in this thread (except for ONE GUY) wants a Wii U. They're just saying that the don't want one in a sad attempt to drive down the demand for the system. That way, they can literally waltz (I mean "literally", too!) into Gamestop, pick up a system, and waltz home while the rest of us look like suckers.

The idea of playing online Call of Duty with your best friend in HD while one of you uses a Wii Remote for the best aiming controls, ever and the other has his own screen and plays from another room--no sane person can ignore that. I spent close to an hour watching trailers for Wii U games on the 3DS eShop last night. It just looks too awesome. The third party stuff is looking good, too.

Oh, I'd love to have a Wii U.  I'm just not going to pay $300 to replace what I have with basically the same games.  Will the Wii U be a somewhat better experience?  Probably.  However, I doubt it will be a dramatically better experience, which means I'll use that money to buy games rather than a new system.

I have nothing against the Wii U.  If I were wealthy then I'd probably buy one.  It's just not worth the price of an upgrade for me at the present time.  If it starts having next gen, 3rd party titles that "can't run" on current gen consoles, then I'll re-evaluate.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
oniyide said:

well damn, fair enough. I do most of my portable gaming outside of my house, so for me i never really felt like i needed a large library of games for my portables as i usual only play a few at a time. Ive had my 3ds since March and ive only bought Mario3d, MK7, and KH3d, im good. Already beat Mario3d got kinda bored with Kart, but i will be playing KH for the foreseeable future. I think youre right TBH, the only game im looking forward to is Luigis Mansion and that aint coming till next year, i might skip NSMB3 al together. 

Castlevania is the only 3DS game that I'm interested in that is getting western release.  Project X Zone looks to be japan only and the Capcom game based on Lost Planet or whatever, somethin Troopers I believe was announced no western release, but that didn't look amazing anyway.

I would have bought Monster Hunter but the lack of online killed that for me.  Nintendo upcoming games, I forget them all but Mario Sticker RPG and Luigi Mansion, Mario AGAIN and Luigi, as good as Mario.

I see what you mean, i dont even care about that Castlevania game, the only thing i'm interested in is Luigi

Branko2166 said:

If we were talking about Sony or Microsoft I would be more inclined to agree as both have a history of selling consoles below cost in order to increase marketshare. Nintendo on the other hand has a different business model and they typically sell their hardware at a profit.

Gamecube was also a Nintendo-console. I don't know exactly, but I think it was cheaper than the PS2.

Branko2166 said:

Though I hope you are right I suspect what may happen is a repeat scenario where developers make next gen games on PC/720/PS4 and a seperate game for the Wii U/PS3/360.

What third-parties may do I don't want to predict. The WiiU may be more powerful than Nextbox and PS4, but the third-parties may do the same. I see no logic in their actions.

Branko2166 said:

Also keep in mind that Nintendo is close to launching their console while Sony and Microsoft haven't even announced theirs. So on top of likely selling more expensive consoles they will also have the added advantage of having more modern hardware as they will release no earlier than 2013. Btw when I say advantage I am only talking about hardware performance advantage not sales.

Yep, a year later may result in better specs for the same price. Especially if they don't have expensive other components, like the WiiU-gamepad, BluRay for PS3 (I think it should be cheap enough now and Sony doesn't have to pay royalties for the BluRay-license, so for PS4 it should be OK) or Kinect.

Branko2166 said:

In any case it is extremely exciting to see what they all come up with and to compare the final specs for all when they become available.

Yes, we have to see what the people that opens the consoles will find.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Galaki said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Galaki said:
They sold out pre-orders. It's not really a choice.

But the 2nd best comic book movie ever taught me that no matter who we are, no matter how hard it is...we always have a choice.

They lied.

lol

I've no plans to get a WiiU. I'm not a core gamer, and I'm not a Nintendo fan, but I am a Wii fan.

I'm not in the slightest interested in the gamepad, I'd much rather Nintendo stuck to the Wiimote/Nunchuk (or better, improved on them).

There's nothing in the launch window of games that's compelling for me to buy. (There's a couple I would buy if I had a WiiU but I won't buy a WiiU to play them)

Right now the best part of it is TVii but in Canada where we only have Netflix (no Hulu, etc) it's not a big feature.

I already have a 360 should I want games like ME3, Batman;AC, etc. I don't, so I certainly won't on WiiU either.

I also have an immense backlog of Wii games to finish.

720's rumoured features are so far, FAR more interesting that anything WiiU is doing, so I'll wait to see what it truly offers before even considering a WiiU.

What might get me to buy one? Endless Ocean in HD would sure be tempting. Price drop. Consistent Wiimote/nunchuk support in all games (1st player). New Super Smash Bros. GTA V (w wiimote controls). Innovative Wii____ games (not that rehash Wii Fit U sh--). CoD with wiimote controls (check). Cheap/free eshop games in line with iOS/Android games.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

After the recent hyped Nintendo conference on the WiiU many peoples opinion about the system changed, including mine. It went from a no-buy to a definitely buy at some point.

What about the rest of you...is anyone still NOT gonna buy the WiiU? If so why? And what do you need Nintendo to do for you to buy it? 

I went from a "rage" status at the Bayonetta 2 news to "might consider purchase after all" when seeing the details of NG3 Razor's Edge. Nintendo just has to throw a Fire Emblem and I'm sold.

Had the weekend to think it over, and might be buying it around Xmas if it's available since I am not pre-ordering it. Still waiting for more information on the OS, Skype, BC with Wii/VC/WW...

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I'm not an early adopter of new tech. However, I do trust Nintendo with their launch consoles/handhelds - never had a problem with any of them.

Too expensive, and I'm skipping Nintendo next gen.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"