By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do some people get mad when a game goes multiplat? Or they took my games!

flagstaad said:
forevercloud3000 said:

FF series exclusive to PS > = FFXIII comes out MP and is regarded as one of the worst in the series. sells about equal to FFXII(not highly rated)

DMC exlcusive to PS with very high regards to DMC3 >= DMC4 Multiplat and is mediocre, sells equal or less than predecessor.

Tekken highly rated 3D fighter exclusive to PS > Tekken MP and very low sales for series

Star Ocean exclusiveto PS > Abysmal sales on 360 only to get a late release on PS3, sales sucked  all around. Series cancelled

GTA, a technical timed exclusive to PS >= GTA4 sold on par with previous entry. Regarded as a downgrade from SA.

The evidence I feel is overwhelming. Exclusives that supposedly went MP to improve sales sale's prove anything but drastic improvement. They sell about the same or a lot less. Meanwhile you have games that remained exclusive like MGS4 and sales are equal to better. Multiplatform just dilutes the development process all around. Dividing up a fanbase or forcing them to play a guessing game of "Which console will it be on?" is down right dumb, and detrimental to a series. Thats what the Tales of... series has been seeing. Stick to one console, gamers know just where to get their fix, the experience isn't diluted during development.

You are trying to find causality without prove, I can say that all those franchises were worst and sold worst because of HD development not because of becoming MP and it can also be truth, becoming MP is not sufficient cause to make a game worse. You are not showing evidence, and you are not showing sufficient cause: "If x is a sufficient cause of y, then the presence of x necessarily implies the presence of y. However, another cause z may alternatively cause y. Thus the presence of y does not imply the presence of x."

Is like saying that the massacre in X place was caused by videogames, because he was a videogame player. One is not a consequence of the other. One just happened in the same time frame as the other one, but that does not mean causality.

You are telling me that those games are/sold worse, because they are MP. But you cannot prove it, one is not a consequence of the other. One just happened in the same time frame as the other one, but that does not mean causality.

In other words, if every multiplatform game is worse that when the franchise was single plataform you can identify MP as a sufficient cause of becoming a worse game.

I can tell you exactly how Multiplatform development effected/harmed each one of the games I listed...

• FFXIII: loss of cities and side content because they could not fit what they had on disc as well as the mandatory CG videos that have become FF staples. Extended Dev time due to a late multiplatform release(when we al KNEW the PS3 version was done because Japan got it already and there is no way localization takes as much time as a porting code/building engines). Westernized popular FF memes in vain attempt to appeal to a different audience.
  • DMC4: Tried to appeal to a new "Western Audience" that they supposedly never had on PS2(more This Gen Drivel). Thats why they changed main to Nero. Long dev time, Gimped versions depending on which console you had.
  • Tekken 6: ridiculous dev time, game was completely done for PS3, this is known because the Japanese arcade machines WERE PS3s. Yet they made us wait 1.5 yr extra so 360 version could catch up. All that extra time not spent on perfecting, adding modes.
  • GTA4: loses quite a few things that had been in previous entries, less missions, etc.

And by default it is fair enough to say when a game as an established fanbase and they feel an entry is not up to standard, it usually sells equal to LESS. Do you deny this? Or do you think Dynasty Warriors is doing great as a series? I don't think anyone would say any of these 4 games were better than their predacessors.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

Doesn't make a difference. I would get upset if my gf announced she was going multiplatform.

With that kind of exclusivity I mind, yes.

@forevercloud you cannot prove that quality suffered because of a game going MP, show me sources that say otherwise and we can talk. People were mad cause the quality sucked not cause it went MP and you cant prove it going MP caused the games to be bad, unless you have some Quantum Leap machine and you can go into an alternate universe where the games you mentioned were exclusive.

I see your Skyrim and raise you a Batman, Street Fighter, COD, Mvs.C3, GTA, JC2, etc. all games that are pretty much the same across their consoles. I love PS3 but the reason why the early games ran so crap because SOny decided to make some weird console that many complained it was difficult to work with, that has nothing to do with 360, which MS stuck to a more PC setup. Fact of the matter is there are more multiplat games that run the same than ones that run worse on PS3.

You do know Demon Souls has been out longer than Dark Souls right? THe fact that the sequel sold just as much in a shorter amount of time kinda proves you wrong.

We'll never get back to a PS2 era domination, not even WIi managed that. SO i would kill that dream right now, because 3rd parties wont allow it. Probably for some of the same reasons you mentioned

oniyide said:
@forevercloud you cannot prove that quality suffered because of a game going MP, show me sources that say otherwise and we can talk. People were mad cause the quality sucked not cause it went MP and you cant prove it going MP caused the games to be bad, unless you have some Quantum Leap machine and you can go into an alternate universe where the games you mentioned were exclusive.

I see your Skyrim and raise you a Batman, Street Fighter, COD, Mvs.C3, GTA, JC2, etc. all games that are pretty much the same across their consoles. I love PS3 but the reason why the early games ran so crap because SOny decided to make some weird console that many complained it was difficult to work with, that has nothing to do with 360, which MS stuck to a more PC setup. Fact of the matter is there are more multiplat games that run the same than ones that run worse on PS3.

You do know Demon Souls has been out longer than Dark Souls right? THe fact that the sequel sold just as much in a shorter amount of time kinda proves you wrong.

We'll never get back to a PS2 era domination, not even WIi managed that. SO i would kill that dream right now, because 3rd parties wont allow it. Probably for some of the same reasons you mentioned

you are failing to see what I was talking about. We are talking about games that WERE Exclusive to a console at some point and then no longer were. With these types of games we can see where they have degraded(due to being MP). I simply named Skyrim to illustrate the inconsistancies of Multiplatform development and how they put strain on developers. Also COD is a bad one for you to even use, as it frequently had gamebreaking glitches just like Skyrim for PS3. Yet like I said, this is not the main point I am making.

Demon Souls is still $20 at retail while Dark Souls is already $30(With far more price sales on it than I ever saw with Demon Souls) which is a much quicker decline than Demon's Souls. Dark is a good sequel, seeing as Demon wasn't pushing the envelope in any way, that left plenty of room for improvement as opposed to the typical need to cut things. Dark Souls might edge out a few extra games sold but not a crazy amount....which is suppose to be the main reason games are going MP in the first place right????

And it would seem you are trying to tell me I cannot make the connection that...

Multiplatform Development = Game's loss of content from exclusive counter parts  = mediocre sales spike or even decrease.

As I said in previous post, many sacrifices were made to some of these games in order to be playable on multiple consoles. Why else does a developer remove content that was successful in a previous entry? for kicks? I think not. It can only be because they couldn't get it to work or fit, its the only possible explanation. And the mythos that Multiplatform development is suppose to usher in double the sales numbers is just completely FALSE no matter how anyone tries to spin it. Japanese Devs are also the ones stating the whole "Westernizing" thing about their games, something that never came up when they were exclusives. And the evidence of MP development causing FF and Tekken release delays is right in front of you.I think you are some how waiting for the Developers to actually announce to you that "this this and this" is the reason why they gimped said games when they went Multi, something that will never happen. If you cannot see how it all corrolates into each other, you are simply being willfully ignorant. I don't know how else to illustrate this to you.

Greatness Awaits

Correlation =/= Causation

Around the Network
oniyide said:
@forevercloud, so you must have been pretty broken up when FF games STOPPED appearing on Ninty consoles, since thats where it started.

@darth tigris im seeing that too

Final Fantasy rose to prominance on the Playstation. After Cloud it was a household name even though there were great Final Fantasies before it. Final Fantasy has never enjoyed the lofty fanfare as it did on the Playstation. Microsoft can have XIII but Versus is the game everyones waiting for to revitalize the FF franchise. No offense but Playstation is synonymous with many third party titles. Look at Metal Gear Solid, which was on Nintendo before Sony. It never reached fame and noteriety until it became synonymous with the Sony platform. Rare was known for quality with Nintendo and when they left Nintendo and went to Microsoft it was a shell of itself. Final Fantasy is a shell of what it was as well. Metal Gear Revengence is coming to the 360 as a shell of its former self. Its little too late for Microsoft to bask in the glory of partnerships other brands had with third parties.

FrancisNobleman said:
Doesn't make a difference. I would get upset if my gf announced she was going multiplatform.

With that kind of exclusivity I mind, yes.

I think your girlfriend should go multiplatform. ;)

oniyide said:

Aside from the good Doctor making a trip to another dimension, that point is literally impossible to prove unless you look at evidence and draw a conclusion. You have previously shown that you are incapable of figuring out a conclusion using evidence without a concrete resolution being provided for you by some nameless authority. It's also ironic though that you are completely capable of conclusively saying the ideas are wrong, in the instance that no conclusive yes or no is stated by said authority.

That's at least the feeling I'm getting from you. 'There is no conclusive proof, therefore, we are conclusively wrong.' There is so much wrong with that logic, especially when not only will you even 'entertain the possibility', you implicitly call people insecure. I'd like to explicitly say that's ignorant.

I gathered this just from your interaction with me. And here you are doing it a second time by telling cloud to "prove that quality suffered". To me that's enough evidence, if not conclusive, that I've pegged you accurately.

What I mean by that is...... I could not even prove to you earlier that content was cut despite posting industry trends, typical actions by the developer to save space, historical actions based on the number of discs..etc. FINE.

But let's flip that on it's side a minute. Even if I tried..... I could not prove that content...wasn't...cut. We have the words of some people against the words of others. Is that proof? No.

So why did you arbitraily decide that you were "right"? Especially when there isn't even a shred of evidence on your end! I know, I know.... you're about to say "I don't have to prove ANYTHING because YOU'RE the one making accusations". Close?

Do you now realize how ridiculous this entire argument sounds? Not yet? Look, you have put yourself in a position that requires no proof, denies all evidence unless it's conclusive (which is a standard that you've arbitrarily decided as a man saying "yes", when even cops don't arrest people that say "i did it"). ....

..and then you call people insecure. I mean, this is absurd oniyide. I implore you to reconsider, really, this entire argument of yours.

theprof00 said:
oniyide said:

Aside from the good Doctor making a trip to another dimension, that point is literally impossible to prove unless you look at evidence and draw a conclusion. You have previously shown that you are incapable of figuring out a conclusion using evidence without a concrete resolution being provided for you by some nameless authority. It's also ironic though that you are completely capable of conclusively saying the ideas are wrong, in the instance that no conclusive yes or no is stated by said authority.

That's at least the feeling I'm getting from you. 'There is no conclusive proof, therefore, we are conclusively wrong.' There is so much wrong with that logic, especially when not only will you even 'entertain the possibility', you implicitly call people insecure. I'd like to explicitly say that's ignorant.

I gathered this just from your interaction with me. And here you are doing it a second time by telling cloud to "prove that quality suffered". To me that's enough evidence, if not conclusive, that I've pegged you accurately.

What I mean by that is...... I could not even prove to you earlier that content was cut despite posting industry trends, typical actions by the developer to save space, historical actions based on the number of discs..etc. FINE.

But let's flip that on it's side a minute. Even if I tried..... I could not prove that content...wasn't...cut. We have the words of some people against the words of others. Is that proof? No.

So why did you arbitraily decide that you were "right"? Especially when there isn't even a shred of evidence on your end! I know, I know.... you're about to say "I don't have to prove ANYTHING because YOU'RE the one making accusations". Close?

Do you now realize how ridiculous this entire argument sounds? Not yet? Look, you have put yourself in a position that requires no proof, denies all evidence unless it's conclusive (which is a standard that you've arbitrarily decided as a man saying "yes", when even cops don't arrest people that say "i did it"). ....

..and then you call people insecure. I mean, this is absurd oniyide. I implore you to reconsider, really, this entire argument of yours.

OMG This^^^^ to like the 5th Power.

Oh and if he needs further reinforcment...

FFXIII cut out enough content to make a whole nother game, FACT!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97532-Mounds-of-Content-Cut-from-Final-Fantasy-XIII

I am 99.9% sure some of this content was then reused for FFXIII-2 in order to fill up the game. To truely believe SE...the people who took 6 years to complete FFXIII can somehow churn out a completely brand spankin new title with huge cities in a 4th of the time? Get real.

360 release held back FFXIII for PS3, http://www.psu.com/a0004423/FFXIII-to-be-held-back-on-PS3-due-to-Xbox-360-version?page=0

Greatness Awaits

Dey terk errr gaaayyyymesssssss!!!!

Seriously, I find it hilarious that some people, namely Sony fans, complain about games and franchises that were once exclusive to one system going multiplatform. They didn't care when Nintendo gamers had to beg for 3rd parties to throw them a bone once in awhile like ports of RE2 and Tony Hawk more than a year after they originally hit PS1.

And now they tout the strength of their 1st party lineup after living off nothing but 3rd party support for 2 generations and mocking Nintendo fans for defending their systems' 1st and 2nd party libraries. Oh the irony.

Not gonna lie though, I got a little upset when previously announced "exclusive" games like Viewtiful Joe and RE4 found their way to other consoles last gen while most PS2 exclusives remained just that with the exception of the GTA games eventually being ported to Xbox. But now that I can enjoy most major 3rd party franchises on one console, I like the fact that most games are multiplatform.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.