By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Xbox Live is blatantly better than PSN

Chark said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Amazing, you still just don't get it. The benefit for a lot of us it ability to play games we prefer. PS3 has a ton of online games I could play for free... but I'd rather spend my time playing something I enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, but $60 is not a lot of money to me for something I will use all year.

"You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me." I'm paying for entertainment now and its a relatively small amount. You ever go to the movie theater? You simply pay for entertainment for that moment. You ever eat out? Once again, you are just paying for a moment of entertainement.

Some sort of fee is justified considering its not free to offer online services. For many years PSN was in the red. I presume PSN Plus is finally making PSN profitable.

Its not a charity since I feel what I get from the service is worth what I pay.

For someone who claims to care about how people spend their money... you sure care an awful lot. Anyhow, just bear in mind competition is a good thing. You think PSN would be as good without MS creating such a fantastic service? Its seems like almost everything Sony does is a response to Xbox. MS forces Sony to compete and make their service better. So even if you dislike MS, you atleast owe them thanks for making PSN great.

To be fair about this, no $60 is not much money at all. It's small in comparison to what MMOs usually charge but then again that is for that game specifically whereas they update it heavily and run servers. As for XBL there is a shroud over the actual cost of them running their service, is it really justified? It'd be nice to know.

The real issue is that XBL could be free and you could still play Halo, Gears, and all that. Elmininating the fee won't cause it to come crashing down. Competitor services are operating just fine under a free model and there has been discussion among companies that free models should be the established model. If a game needs to charge a service fee to operate then by all means charge a service fee, but to charge a fee regardless of use and regardless of which companies utlize it, doesn't bode well with me. Are third parties even part of this fee? Do they receive any of that money? Do they use Microsoft's servers? If they don't then there is defentily something wrong with this model. I wouldn't be opposed to Microsoft charging a fee to play 1st party games online since those are their servers and such. If third parties are brought into the mix then I guess it is alright but they seem to operate just fine without a fee in the past and on other platforms, that goes for 1st party games too. This also is aside from the fact Mircosoft doesn't allow access to paid services without an XBL subscription. Do you think Netflix isn't using their own servers? Why should you have to pay twice? Access to those services should be free but instead Microsoft needs to gather some money from their consumers, because if they are just using their Xbox to watch movies they probably aren't buying many games. This just screams unethical.

Enjoy what Xbox offers and XBL but you should really know that your participation in their service fee isn't because of any added value or guarentee of your entertainment, you have no other choice if you want access to those games. It is exploitation and in line with Microsoft's monopolistic past. Don't view this as an attack. If I was really into those games, and I was really into Halo 2 back when, I would be paying the fee aswell but only because I didn't have a choice. Really what should come out of this is a more active attempt by Xbox consumers to change the industry model, at least be met half way by freeing up services like Netflix and the upcoming IE9.

So I have to ask you the question. If XBL went free tomorrow, how would you feel?

So MS should just lose money on the service. Look at PSN and it's loses and then tell me what is the smart business choice. Plus it cost money to be in the driver seat and dictate the way online gaming or it's services n how it should be done. The extra things that are provided are not cheap and have to be paid for, not only that but the Programs/apps etc..... Are always first on XBLA. Also cross chat and the many things others do not have add to it. See I don't mind paying $60. I never had my info stolen or hacked. I also always have the new and exciting thing being provided. What does PSN have  that is so over the top? Yea, I thought so and also what does there profits look like? Ok then, Looks like it's not working to well.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
Chark said:

So I have to ask you the question. If XBL went free tomorrow, how would you feel?

So MS should just lose money on the service. Look at PSN and it's loses and then tell me what is the smart business choice. Plus it cost money to be in the driver seat and dictate the way online gaming or it's services n how it should be done. The extra things that are provided are not cheap and have to be paid for, not only that but the Programs/apps etc..... Are always first on XBLA. Also cross chat and the many things others do not have add to it. See I don't mind paying $60. I never had my info stolen or hacked. I also always have the new and exciting thing being provided. What does PSN have  that is so over the top? Yea, I thought so and also what does there profits look like? Ok then, Looks like it's not working to well.

Care to answer the question?

Are you getting your money's worth? Do you know? I know $60 isn't all that much but that is every year. That's $60 you could spend on a game or several, it could be money that Microsoft had to compete to attract. Others have had their info stolen or their accounts hacked, XBL was even taken down for a month a few years back. Are those apps on XBL first because of the service fee? How do you know? Perhaps it could be part of the contracts that Microsoft has them sign? Maybe they are there because 360 is easier to develop for than PS3, so it is part of the system and not the fee. It could be unrelated.

How much have you used PSN? Have you seen all of the games it has, the exclusives, the PSone and PS2 titles, the Netflix app that is better than the one on 360? Perhaps you haven't tried PS Home, the free games they offer on there or the giveaways? PS3 has had an internet browser from day 1 despite its shortcommings, shall I include that even if it isn't part of PSN? Maybe I should use the exclusive games as the justification for using PSN, afterall there are more of them.

The more you examine XBL the more you should question what exactly is the money being used for? For all we know it is pure profit which means that they are charging solely for exclusivity, extortion is a harsher sense. If I owned a 360 I would probably pay it out of neccessity. That's why I've avoided buying one despite countless friends pressuring me to and my brother (the person I played games with my whole life) buying one despite my reservations on the practices of Microsoft.

What I want to know is whether or not XBL would suffer or flourish by eliminating the fee? Where does your money actually go?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

lol the article is actually a brilliant satire. :)

Btw, PSPlus > XBLGold.

pokoko said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Amazing, you still just don't get it. The benefit for a lot of us it ability to play games we prefer. PS3 has a ton of online games I could play for free... but I'd rather spend my time playing something I enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, but $60 is not a lot of money to me for something I will use all year.

"You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me." I'm paying for entertainment now and its a relatively small amount. You ever go to the movie theater? You simply pay for entertainment for that moment. You ever eat out? Once again, you are just paying for a moment of entertainement.

Some sort of fee is justified considering its not free to offer online services. For many years PSN was in the red. I presume PSN Plus is finally making PSN profitable.

Its not a charity since I feel what I get from the service is worth what I pay.

For someone who claims to care about how people spend their money... you sure care an awful lot. Anyhow, just bear in mind competition is a good thing. You think PSN would be as good without MS creating such a fantastic service? Its seems like almost everything Sony does is a response to Xbox. MS forces Sony to compete and make their service better. So even if you dislike MS, you atleast owe them thanks for making PSN great.

Holy cats.  Wow.  I won't lie, this post floored me.  Is it just Sony and people who have a Sony device who need to get on thier knees and bow to Microsoft in thanks, or should Nintendo and Nintendo fans also join the praise-wagon?  I guess you're right, though, in that Sony had done absolutely nothing in gaming until the Xbox came out.  And here I was thinking the Xbox was at least a tiny bit inspired by the PS1 and PS2.  Silly me.  And the fact that it would be impossible for you to enjoy any online game on PSN ... wow.  Now I feel bad for thinking Journey was a pretty good game.

Seriously, though, I give Microsoft a lot of credit, and I think they've done a lot of things right, but don't you think you're being a little over-zealous in you praise?  They really, really aren't the only source of inspiration in the gaming world, you know.

Hmmm... your reponse is asinine and I'm not going bother explaining why.

MS definitely isn't the only inspiration. They blatantly took some ideas from NIntendo as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Chark said:

To be fair about this, no $60 is not much money at all. It's small in comparison to what MMOs usually charge but then again that is for that game specifically whereas they update it heavily and run servers. As for XBL there is a shroud over the actual cost of them running their service, is it really justified? It'd be nice to know.

The real issue is that XBL could be free and you could still play Halo, Gears, and all that. Elmininating the fee won't cause it to come crashing down. Competitor services are operating just fine under a free model and there has been discussion among companies that free models should be the established model. If a game needs to charge a service fee to operate then by all means charge a service fee, but to charge a fee regardless of use and regardless of which companies utlize it, doesn't bode well with me. Are third parties even part of this fee? Do they receive any of that money? Do they use Microsoft's servers? If they don't then there is defentily something wrong with this model. I wouldn't be opposed to Microsoft charging a fee to play 1st party games online since those are their servers and such. If third parties are brought into the mix then I guess it is alright but they seem to operate just fine without a fee in the past and on other platforms, that goes for 1st party games too. This also is aside from the fact Mircosoft doesn't allow access to paid services without an XBL subscription. Do you think Netflix isn't using their own servers? Why should you have to pay twice? Access to those services should be free but instead Microsoft needs to gather some money from their consumers, because if they are just using their Xbox to watch movies they probably aren't buying many games. This just screams unethical.

Enjoy what Xbox offers and XBL but you should really know that your participation in their service fee isn't because of any added value or guarentee of your entertainment, you have no other choice if you want access to those games. It is exploitation and in line with Microsoft's monopolistic past. Don't view this as an attack. If I was really into those games, and I was really into Halo 2 back when, I would be paying the fee aswell but only because I didn't have a choice. Really what should come out of this is a more active attempt by Xbox consumers to change the industry model, at least be met half way by freeing up services like Netflix and the upcoming IE9.

I think Xbox Live is a lot more complex than you imagine. MS operates all the servers except EA servers. Most games are P2P, but there are still servers for matchmaking. Furthermore, you have to take into consideration the massive amount of bandwidth that's used by a service like Xbox Live. Sony passes bandwidth fees to publishers, but MS does not.

As I mentioned before, Sony said PSN was in the red for years. So cost are definitely justified because its not free to offer these services. LIve is very profitable for MS, but so what? This is a business and making money is a pretty important goal.

I thought you were going to have a reasonable argument, but it seems you're using commie logic as well.

If XBL went free that would be great. If Taco Bell gave me food for free that would be great as well. But XBL isn't free and I enjoy using exclusive content on it so I'll continue paying.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
zero129 said:

How Xbox Live is blatantly better than PSN

It's American

Unlike the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live is American, and as such it enjoys all the benefits that America has to offer. Xbox Live stands for freedom, a strong work ethic, democracy, God, eagles, Obama, and justice. Meanwhile, PSN is not American, and as such does not stand for freedom or any of the other things I can't be bothered to type out again. Also, it's probably racist a little bit.

LINK

Wait.....I thought you were arguing XBL was better then PSN! Being American is a counter arguement!!!

Being American means shitty build quality. Wasn't the original 360 failrate 33%? Let's think of other American companies. General Moters (Now Government Moters), Ford, Dodge (now owned by Fiat), Acer Computers, Apple, Wal-Mart, Nike, Reebok, Bell, Rogers, etc. All terrible companies.

Nike and Reebok make shoes for under $1 in former slave shops, and sell them for over $100. Apple and Microsoft products (like 360 and iPhone) have the lowest relibility among electronics and are made user the most minimal conditions at Foxconn (China).

GM, Ford, and Dodge are shitty cars (well Ford is ok), and they used to follow a car module called planned obselence, where after 3 years (80,000km) all of the parts would simultaniously break down, making it cheaper to buy a new car then fix the old one, thus maintaining sales. Then the Japanese came in and in order to keep costs low, quality (as in material quality) dropped fast. Now all American cars look like shit, and even now GM and Dodge make cuts in productions which lead to terrible issues (like steering wheels falling of Cruze's, google it).

Acer Computers.....yea lets just not go there, complete shit.

Wal-Mart, Richer then Poland, but the Waltons deserve it. Zero funding to charity, cheap quality products, most often made in China under slave shops.

LOL, seriously, that was a funny comment.

But really XBL isn't better. I own a 360, and used to own a PS3 (might rebuy one, just want to know if PS4 is backward compatible or not), and I liked PSN a lot more.

First of all the service is the same, you don't get shit extra when you pay for XBL and you still can't play XBL if you have no internet connection. All you get on XBL over PSN is party comminication, but in reality I rarely play games where I want to talk to my friends while they play something else. Usually I only use it to set up matches and invite friends to my game.

Facebook and Twitter? You do have a PC you know, and PS3 has a web browser. I never use these BS social medium anyway, if people want to talk to me, they can just call.

And what's with all the sex analogies? If you want to pay for sex, go right ahead, she probably has something anyway. The best sex is the one you get from your gf/bf/wife/husband. Why? Because they actually give a shit about you and don't just look at you as an income source. They also probably aren't all loose as hell down there, and can feel stuff still.

PS3 getting hacked....okay, so what? No ones credit card info was lost.

Advertizing? No....this is another counter. I want to go onto my system to play games. I don't watch cable to avoid ads and I'll do the same with games.

Organization? It takes me forever to edit my info on XBL, it's easy on PS3. 360 is so ad filled I dunno where I'm going anymore....it took me a minute to find where I play my game after the last update (lol, no seriously I hit right at the load up and didn't notice and couldn't find it in all the ads).

As for Call of Duty...another cash grab huh? I don't play CoD to the point where I go out and buy a $60 game day 1 and then $30 worth of map packs. I play my 360 for $20 games like Halo and Tales of Vesperia.

Also....XBL is expensive. Had I subscribed to XBL Gold this year, I would have paid $60 for the year right? I'm played online only a handful of times so far....so realistically I would have paid $5 each time I used it.

I think this blog is a joke, I just wanted to rant about the American bit....and I never got a copy of Undertow!!!!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

This was hilarious to read. Pfffffffff im still laughing.

Chark said:

Are you getting your money's worth?

Nah.

I only go online at the very most once a month. Maybe for November and December I might go on more frequently because of Halo 4, but overall I barely play online. So $60 a year in reality translates to $5 a use to me.

This is why I don't subscribe to XBL Gold. I'll get a 3 month card for when a game like Halo 4 comes out, and the rest of the year I'll just use a 48 hour trail for the one or two times I really want to play online.

The pay to use XBL model discourages me from playing online, that's one reason I kind of switched my gaming habits to play lengthy RPG's back to back and then bulk my online playing into 3 months of the year.

Actually because of the pay to play XBL model, and reliability, I am interested in the PS4 over a NextBox. Although I love my 360's exclusives I hate the console, and in North America, during the holidays, 360's are cheap, and I bet the NExtBox will be no different. I don't need a large hard drive for the dozen or so exclusives I will want a NextBox for, and I don't want a shitty system which will break 5 times, or a pay for live model.

PSN has it all

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Chark said:

Nah.

I only go online at the very most once a month. Maybe for November and December I might go on more frequently because of Halo 4, but overall I barely play online. So $60 a year in reality translates to $5 a use to me.

This is why I don't subscribe to XBL Gold. I'll get a 3 month card for when a game like Halo 4 comes out, and the rest of the year I'll just use a 48 hour trail for the one or two times I really want to play online.

The pay to use XBL model discourages me from playing online, that's one reason I kind of switched my gaming habits to play lengthy RPG's back to back and then bulk my online playing into 3 months of the year.

Actually because of the pay to play XBL model, and reliability, I am interested in the PS4 over a NextBox. Although I love my 360's exclusives I hate the console, and in North America, during the holidays, 360's are cheap, and I bet the NExtBox will be no different. I don't need a large hard drive for the dozen or so exclusives I will want a NextBox for, and I don't want a shitty system which will break 5 times, or a pay for live model.

PSN has it all

Chark said:

Nah.

PSN has it all