By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Xbox Live is blatantly better than PSN

Soleron said:
Psyberius said:
Soleron said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I played on steam, battle.net, PSN, Dreamarena and Xbox Live. Xbox Live is by FAR the best service on the market.

Battle.net is full with hackers as well. 2 out of 5 games on WC3 (I still love that game) is against someone using MH.

Are you aware that Bnet has recieved some /slight/ updates since then? Or how about we only compare to Xbox 1's online.

To solve WC3 hacking just download iCCup and it's gone and also the standard of ladder play improves.

Why should a user have to "solve" online mplay?  Isn't that what the provider is there for?  What you're suggesting is that you not only have to play the game but you have to concentrate on making sure you don't get cheated too.

That right there is EXACTLY why XBL exists.  You log in, you play, you log off.  You don't sit there slamming your head on a desk when somoene goes god and becomes bulletproof on bnet while taking everyone out.

Because it's a 10 year old game and no one, especially not MS, supports a pay-once game for that long. You can still actually play WC3 unlike most Xbox 1 games. They did support WC3 with anti-hacking for a good six years.

In the games they currently support (WoW, Diablo, SC2) they are working very actively to stop cheaters and will do so for at least 3 years after their last expansion. Lack of support is not an accusation that can be levelled against Bnet, ever.

The problem is that Battle.net itself has been hacked several times.  Hell I stopped playing their games on their servers when a friend put his own VERSION of battle.net up for us to play on...code ripped right off their servers.  To me thats just effing scary.  You wouldn't catch me within 10 feet of even THINKING of sending any personal data over their servers.

Around the Network
Psyberius said:
Soleron said:
Psyberius said:
Soleron said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I played on steam, battle.net, PSN, Dreamarena and Xbox Live. Xbox Live is by FAR the best service on the market.

Battle.net is full with hackers as well. 2 out of 5 games on WC3 (I still love that game) is against someone using MH.

Are you aware that Bnet has recieved some /slight/ updates since then? Or how about we only compare to Xbox 1's online.

To solve WC3 hacking just download iCCup and it's gone and also the standard of ladder play improves.

Why should a user have to "solve" online mplay?  Isn't that what the provider is there for?  What you're suggesting is that you not only have to play the game but you have to concentrate on making sure you don't get cheated too.

That right there is EXACTLY why XBL exists.  You log in, you play, you log off.  You don't sit there slamming your head on a desk when somoene goes god and becomes bulletproof on bnet while taking everyone out.

Because it's a 10 year old game and no one, especially not MS, supports a pay-once game for that long. You can still actually play WC3 unlike most Xbox 1 games. They did support WC3 with anti-hacking for a good six years.

In the games they currently support (WoW, Diablo, SC2) they are working very actively to stop cheaters and will do so for at least 3 years after their last expansion. Lack of support is not an accusation that can be levelled against Bnet, ever.

The problem is that Battle.net itself has been hacked several times.  Hell I stopped playing their games on their servers when a friend put his own VERSION of battle.net up for us to play on...code ripped right off their servers.  To me thats just effing scary.  You wouldn't catch me within 10 feet of even THINKING of sending any personal data over their servers.

Could you explain why Bnet is more vulnerable than Steam or XBL or even things like Gmail? All of them have code and personal data on servers that can be ripped off with the right exploit.

Bnet maphacking is MUCH different to Bnet emulation like you're describing, so don't confuse the two issues. Maphacking is about figuring out data that's already on your computer, emulation is about stealing data from the server and is far more serious.

Mr Puggsly said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You didn't prove me wrong because your "proof" didn't prove anything.  The PS3 always had wifi, the original 360 models did not. That is a big reason why more PS3 users are online. However, it doesn't prove a larger percentage of PS3 users actually care about online gaming.

Yes, I enjoy Halo and Gears and that's a big reason why I subscribe to Live. If people enjoy playing World of Warcraft, I wouldn't suggest they settle with DC Universe because its free. Its funny, you simply can't grasp that millions of people rather pay a fee to play games they enjoy instead settling with free stuff. You absolutely do care how people spend their money, that's why you're here pissing and moaning about Live.

So let me get this straight. According to you MS is taking advantage of me... because I pay them a small fee for services and games I enjoy that only they provide? Really think about what you're saying, its oozing of ignorance.

that "small" fee shouldnt be there at all.

And it shouldn't be there because...?

Why should you have free access to an online infrastructure created and maintained by MS?

I hope you have better answers than, "I shouldn't have to pay for that!" or "I already pay for the internet!"

Because you paying for it does not give you any additional benefits. You can give millions to microsoft if you want. In a couple of years you wont be able to play gears and halo online anymore. Unless of course, you buy the new versions sure to come out. And the cycle goes again.

Realise that liking the game and wanting to play them online is fine. You want to do charity to microsoft for it, go ahead. But the fee isnt justified. The server costs are minimal and they will be shut down in just a few years. You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me.

If microsoft garanteed the servers would stay up aslong as you pay for it i would understand, but they really dont care.

As for oozing ignorance im sad you feel that way, because i totally understand leaking the same kind of comments when i see your posts. I know that you're a lost case in this matter, but i really want people that are reading this thread to see that microsoft is taking advantage of them and shoving it off like its a justifiable fee when its not, will just lead to even further abuse from microsoft. Its that kind of company, and its not where i want to see the industry heading.

As a side note, i want to let people know that there are plenty of hackers on Xboxlive aswell. These posts saying that its a much safer service is a load of parcial views. Xbox live has already been hacked aswell, it just didnt last longer and microsoft mostly baffled the subject.

Dont believe me? Great that should be the spirit. Go on youtube and you can see for example the rankings on Sonic games full of hackers and hackers playing the locked SF x Tekken character online on Xbox live.

I dont preach the believe me cause im right like others here try to, i preach the go and see it for yourself so you know what is really happening.

Soleron said:
Psyberius said:
Soleron said:
Psyberius said:
Soleron said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Could you explain why Bnet is more vulnerable than Steam or XBL or even things like Gmail? All of them have code and personal data on servers that can be ripped off with the right exploit.

Bnet maphacking is MUCH different to Bnet emulation like you're describing, so don't confuse the two issues. Maphacking is about figuring out data that's already on your computer, emulation is about stealing data from the server and is far more serious.

Being able to put up a server that emulates battle.net is more than a simple maphack.  Someone captured MAJOR parts of their infrastructure and reengineered them to act AS battle.net.  XBL has never been hacked because there's no middleman...no pc's involved that can screw with things.  You connect via your xbox and the environnment is controlled at both ends by MS.  Steam has been hacked, Battle.net has been hacked...both due to their allowance of PC's...

Certainly there will be tons of people trying to jack into MS via captured data off their routers and such however as we've seen...it's just not gonna happen.

Psyberius said:

Being able to put up a server that emulates battle.net is more than a simple maphack.  Someone captured MAJOR parts of their infrastructure and reengineered them to act AS battle.net.  XBL has never been hacked because there's no middleman...no pc's involved that can screw with things.  You connect via your xbox and the environnment is controlled at both ends by MS.  Steam has been hacked, Battle.net has been hacked...both due to their allowance of PC's...

Certainly there will be tons of people trying to jack into MS via captured data off their routers and such however as we've seen...it's just not gonna happen.

So you're basically saying you want LAN on Blizzard games. Don't we all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXHY6CnIR0

Deafening "We want LAN" chant as Bnet disconnects a crucial game between MarineKingPrime and ST.Parting for the Team League Finals, while Mike Morhaime, Blizzard CEO and Dustin Browder, lead designer for SC2 sit in the front row with the following expressions:

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Psyberius said:

So you're basically saying you want LAN on Blizzard games. Don't we all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXHY6CnIR0

Deafening "We want LAN" chant as Bnet disconnects a crucial game between MarineKingPrime and ST.Parting for the Team League Finals, while Mike Morhaime, Blizzard CEO and Dustin Browder, lead designer for SC2 sit in the front row with the following expressions:

We used to have land on games like StarCraft...their whole backend was hacked so that people had up a whole ton of servers set up to connect to.  It was AWESOME.

Nem said:
Mr Puggsly said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

that "small" fee shouldnt be there at all.

And it shouldn't be there because...?

Why should you have free access to an online infrastructure created and maintained by MS?

I hope you have better answers than, "I shouldn't have to pay for that!" or "I already pay for the internet!"

Because you paying for it does not give you any additional benefits. You can give millions to microsoft if you want. In a couple of years you wont be able to play gears and halo online anymore. Unless of course, you buy the new versions sure to come out. And the cycle goes again.

Realise that liking the game and wanting to play them online is fine. You want to do charity to microsoft for it, go ahead. But the fee isnt justified. The server costs are minimal and they will be shut down in just a few years. You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me.

If microsoft garanteed the servers would stay up aslong as you pay for it i would understand, but they really dont care.

As for oozing ignorance im sad you feel that way, because i totally understand leaking the same kind of comments when i see your posts. I know that you're a lost case in this matter, but i really want people that are reading this thread to see that microsoft is taking advantage of them and shoving it off like its a justifiable fee when its not, will just lead to even further abuse from microsoft. Its that kind of company, and its not where i want to see the industry heading.

As a side note, i want to let people know that there are plenty of hackers on Xboxlive aswell. These posts saying that its a much safer service is a load of parcial views. Xbox live has already been hacked aswell, it just didnt last longer and microsoft mostly baffled the subject.

Dont believe me? Great that should be the spirit. Go on youtube and you can see for example the rankings on Sonic games full of hackers and hackers playing the locked SF x Tekken character online on Xbox live.

I dont preach the believe me cause im right like others here try to, i preach the go and see it for yourself so you know what is really happening.

Amazing, you still just don't get it. The benefit for a lot of us it ability to play games we prefer. PS3 has a ton of online games I could play for free... but I'd rather spend my time playing something I enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, but $60 is not a lot of money to me for something I will use all year.

"You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me." I'm paying for entertainment now and its a relatively small amount. You ever go to the movie theater? You simply pay for entertainment for that moment. You ever eat out? Once again, you are just paying for a moment of entertainement.

Some sort of fee is justified considering its not free to offer online services. For many years PSN was in the red. I presume PSN Plus is finally making PSN profitable.

Its not a charity since I feel what I get from the service is worth what I pay.

For someone who claims to not care about how people spend their money... you sure care an awful lot. Anyhow, just bear in mind competition is a good thing. You think PSN would be as good without MS creating such a fantastic service? Its seems like almost everything Sony does is a response to Xbox. MS forces Sony to compete and make their service better. So even if you dislike MS, you atleast owe them thanks for making PSN great.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Amazing, you still just don't get it. The benefit for a lot of us it ability to play games we prefer. PS3 has a ton of online games I could play for free... but I'd rather spend my time playing something I enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, but $60 is not a lot of money to me for something I will use all year.

"You're virtually buying the game and paying for a service that will not exist anymore in a few years. How you consider that money well spent is beyond me." I'm paying for entertainment now and its a relatively small amount. You ever go to the movie theater? You simply pay for entertainment for that moment. You ever eat out? Once again, you are just paying for a moment of entertainement.

Some sort of fee is justified considering its not free to offer online services. For many years PSN was in the red. I presume PSN Plus is finally making PSN profitable.

For someone who claims to care about how people spend their money... you sure care an awful lot. Anyhow, just bear in mind competition is a good thing. You think PSN would be as good without MS creating such a fantastic service? Its seems like almost everything Sony does is a response to Xbox. MS forces Sony to compete and make their service better. So even if you dislike MS, you atleast owe them thanks for making PSN great.

Holy cats.  Wow.  I won't lie, this post floored me.  Is it just Sony and people who have a Sony device who need to get on thier knees and bow to Microsoft in thanks, or should Nintendo and Nintendo fans also join the praise-wagon?  I guess you're right, though, in that Sony had done absolutely nothing in gaming until the Xbox came out.  And here I was thinking the Xbox was at least a tiny bit inspired by the PS1 and PS2.  Silly me.  And the fact that it would be impossible for you to enjoy any online game on PSN ... wow.  Now I feel bad for thinking Journey was a pretty good game.

Seriously, though, I give Microsoft a lot of credit, and I think they've done a lot of things right, but don't you think you're being a little over-zealous in you praise?  They really, really aren't the only source of inspiration in the gaming world, you know.

Mr Puggsly said:

For someone who claims to care about how people spend their money... you sure care an awful lot. Anyhow, just bear in mind competition is a good thing. You think PSN would be as good without MS creating such a fantastic service? Its seems like almost everything Sony does is a response to Xbox. MS forces Sony to compete and make their service better. So even if you dislike MS, you atleast owe them thanks for making PSN great.

To be fair about this, no $60 is not much money at all. It's small in comparison to what MMOs usually charge but then again that is for that game specifically whereas they update it heavily and run servers. As for XBL there is a shroud over the actual cost of them running their service, is it really justified? It'd be nice to know.

The real issue is that XBL could be free and you could still play Halo, Gears, and all that. Elmininating the fee won't cause it to come crashing down. Competitor services are operating just fine under a free model and there has been discussion among companies that free models should be the established model. If a game needs to charge a service fee to operate then by all means charge a service fee, but to charge a fee regardless of use and regardless of which companies utlize it, doesn't bode well with me. Are third parties even part of this fee? Do they receive any of that money? Do they use Microsoft's servers? If they don't then there is defentily something wrong with this model. I wouldn't be opposed to Microsoft charging a fee to play 1st party games online since those are their servers and such. If third parties are brought into the mix then I guess it is alright but they seem to operate just fine without a fee in the past and on other platforms, that goes for 1st party games too. This also is aside from the fact Mircosoft doesn't allow access to paid services without an XBL subscription. Do you think Netflix isn't using their own servers? Why should you have to pay twice? Access to those services should be free but instead Microsoft needs to gather some money from their consumers, because if they are just using their Xbox to watch movies they probably aren't buying many games. This just screams unethical.

Enjoy what Xbox offers and XBL but you should really know that your participation in their service fee isn't because of any added value or guarentee of your entertainment, you have no other choice if you want access to those games. It is exploitation and in line with Microsoft's monopolistic past. Don't view this as an attack. If I was really into those games, and I was really into Halo 2 back when, I would be paying the fee aswell but only because I didn't have a choice. Really what should come out of this is a more active attempt by Xbox consumers to change the industry model, at least be met half way by freeing up services like Netflix and the upcoming IE9.

So I have to ask you the question. If XBL went free tomorrow, how would you feel?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

DirtyP2002 said:

The UI and integration of all the apps works just perfectly fine. Better than anywhere else. The content is awesome, the online gameplay works easily, same for the cloud storage, cross game chat, perfect customer service (something PC gamers don't even know in this form), integration with PCs is already pretty good and smartglass will be another step in the right direction.

XBLA > every online-game-service on the market.

Steam has good deals from time to time, but is full with cheaters. CSS, CS 1.6 is nearly unplayable. It doesn't feel like a community at all. Account-hacking is pretty bad, too.

PSN has a crappy UI, less content, fewer apps, no cross game chat at all, but more updates which take forever to download. Not everybody has a headset.

Sure you pay for XBL, but it is worth it. I am a XBL gold-member for 8 or 9 years and I don't regret a single day.

THis. ^^^^^^^^