By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tekken Producer Says People Are Focussing Too Much On Wii U Specs

the WiiU is everything you have on the PS3 (except blu ray)
plus the added stuff, thats been proven successful in other hw pieces

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

Its called combining common sense with known facts. ie, the WIi U version of every multi platform game shown to date has run at a higher resolution and a higher frame rate. There is a point where it becomes clear without constant begging of the question.

I don't provide information for people who continuously question beyond reason and show an intention to completely disrgegard any and all info that isn't to their liking while providing absolutely nothing substantial on there end other then endless nitpicking and denying anything that hasn't been dissected down to the atom with a 2000 page tutorial and video guide...which they would just ignore in favor of something else they could nitpick at if it were actually provided. This article we are posting on is far more enough fact than anything I've seen you "contribute".

Lol seems I have touched a nerve. I'm sorry if I have hurt your feelings. 

The reason I ask is that from what I have seen Tekken looks the same exept the Wii U version seems to be a bit jaggier, especially if you look at the background, could be a missing DoF effect and/or a post proccess AA. But both screens are from an early build so I was wondering if they had said something about the Wii U version was going to be better.

Make sure you view the screens as native res for comparison.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

DieAppleDie said:
the WiiU tech is nothing that special,
it has everything Sony and Msoft todays tech has and the pad has everything like the standard pad just with gyroscope acelerometer and touch screen...nothing to prove there, already been proven by the DS and standard consoles this gen....its just everything together, which imo is awesome

Ok so what will Nintendo do about the graphical leap in 2013?

It's looks really good. Nintendo showed us that in 2011 with their E3 tech demo, the one with the bird flying around. Wii U looks really good. That should be enough. Tech specs will come when console is very close to release, or after release. At this point most people probably know whether or not they are getting it.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

zarx said:
lilbroex said:

Its called combining common sense with known facts. ie, the WIi U version of every multi platform game shown to date has run at a higher resolution and a higher frame rate. There is a point where it becomes clear without constant begging of the question.

I don't provide information for people who continuously question beyond reason and show an intention to completely disrgegard any and all info that isn't to their liking while providing absolutely nothing substantial on there end other then endless nitpicking and denying anything that hasn't been dissected down to the atom with a 2000 page tutorial and video guide...which they would just ignore in favor of something else they could nitpick at if it were actually provided. This article we are posting on is far more enough fact than anything I've seen you "contribute".

Lol seems I have touched a nerve. I'm sorry if I have hurt your feelings. 

The reason I ask is that from what I have seen Tekken looks the same exept the Wii U version seems to be a bit jaggier, especially if you look at the background, could be a missing DoF effect and/or a post proccess AA. But both screens are from an early build so I was wondering if they had said something about the Wii U version was going to be better.

Make sure you view the screens as native res for comparison.

Touched a nerve? Not at all. Just stating a redundant fact.

Its called aliasing. Saying jaggies sounds so uneducated. How exactly can you say it has more aliasing without compaing it to a screenshot of the other version in the exact same area? Either way, it will still support higher resolutions. That is a given for all Wii U ports now.

I'm seeing aliasing all over the place. Compared to this, its miniscule in the Wii U version.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

Touched a nerve? Not at all. Just stating a redundant fact.

Its called aliasing. Saying jaggies sounds so uneducated. How exactly can you say it has more alasing without compaing it to a screenshot of the other version in the exact same area?

I guess you are just naturally rude then.

Yea but most people just call em jaggies, so I am used to using the term these days. People tend to know what you mean when you say jaggies, where as a lot of people don't know what aliasing means.

And it is the same level just turned a bit, it would be impossible to get a screen that is the exact same as the Wii U version has elements that are exclusive to that version. If you compair them at native res and look at the background it's clear that the PS3 version is blurred where as the Wii U version it's sharp and has very obvious aliasing especially on the stone arch. The characters are a different story as both versions have aliasing, making me think it may be a DoF effect. But there does seem to be some edges that have less aliasing than I would expect in the PS3 version but that could be down to other factors, which makes me think they may be using a lite post AA effect like MLAA.

A couple more PS3 screens for comparison

If you know of any more native Wii U screens for comparison that would be great, I can only find downscaled ones. 

Given that they have some spare GPU time on Wii U I am sure they will have the effect added in time for launch. And I hope they can use some of the extra GPU resources to add some anisotropic filtering, because that would really help the presentation. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

DieAppleDie said:
???

Okay, I'll explain it the best that I can.

In Sony consoles each game have associated a code (SLUS or SCUS followed by some numbers).

SCUS stands for Sony Computer USA Software. First party games and very few third party games have this code.

SLUS stands for Sony Licensed USA Software. Third party games have this code.

However, Tekken 3, 4, 5 , Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and more Namco games have an SCUS code. Why Namco games received first party treatment?

Namco even made an exclusive controller for the PSX:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeGcon

How did this happen? When did they became such good friends?

Let's go back to 1994:

In 1994 Sega and Namco were battling each other for the supremacy in the arcades. Sony was about to launch their first console.

Sony wanted a strong lineup of 3D games to show the power of the PSX, and Namco had a strong lineup of 3D arcade games. They decided to help each other. Sony helped Namco with their arcade motherboards and Namco ported their arcade games to the PSX.

In the arcades Tekken games run on playstation-based motherboards, so porting Tekken to PSX was cheap and easy.

The PSX didn't have strong first party support, unlike the Nintendo 64. This means that Namco games could be more relevant to the system (and have less competition and sell more). Their games had a chance to become the flagship titles of the console. At the end it didn't happen because Sony made a lot of new "friends": Square (FF7 have a SCUS code, btw), Enix, Konami... However Tekken did became the flagship fighting game of the playstation brand.

Next gen PS2 dominated like no console did before so porting Tekken to GC or XBOX was not worth the time and money.

Tekken 6 engine (the Tekken 6 arcade board was PS3-based) wouldn't run on the Wii so again it was not worth the time and money.

Namco's "betrayal" with Soul Calibur... another day.

PS3 is the console of choice in fighting games tournaments because of the diversity of controllers available. Pros aren't going to play with Wii U's tablet controller.

And Captain Falcon in TTT2 would be awesome.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like the Wii U tech, don't get me wrong, but it is going to have to prove itself going head to head with an already established generation. Will people fork out more money to buy a console just to play current gen games or will they wait until 2013? Your guess is as good as mine. I say the hardcore will do the latter. Nintendo has to win back a crowd they let go of. Namco is going to get caught in the confusion with Tekken. Thats all. I could be wrong, but it just seems that way.

We could have said the same thing about the 360 when it tried to get a portion of the Playstation market. If Nintendo wants a piece of the market, this is where they need to start. You may not believe people will bite, but at least they're offering it.

Had they not offered, you would have probably said that Nintendo is failing to capture the core gamer market. So it's damned if you do damned if you don't. As for confusion, you're right Namco doesn't get caught into confusion, they just make their games and tell the fans to shut up (as OP shows), because they finally realized they were constant complainers.

But to understand, what would it mean for Namco to get caught in the confusion with Tekken? Is Tekken on WiiU a case of getting caught in the confusion? If so, TTT2 would seem to show the opposite.

So I'm not sure about all this.

Player2 said:
DieAppleDie said:
???

Okay, I'll explain it the best that I can.

In Sony consoles each game have associated a code (SLUS or SCUS followed by some numbers).

SCUS stands for Sony Computer USA Software. First party games and very few third party games have this code.

SLUS stands for Sony Licensed USA Software. Third party games have this code.

However, Tekken 3, 4, 5 , Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and more Namco games have an SCUS code. Why Namco games received first party treatment?

Namco even made an exclusive controller for the PSX:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeGcon

How did this happen? When did they became such good friends?

Let's go back to 1994:

In 1994 Sega and Namco were battling each other for the supremacy in the arcades. Sony was about to launch their first console.

Sony wanted a strong lineup of 3D games to show the power of the PSX, and Namco had a strong lineup of 3D arcade games. They decided to help each other. Sony helped Namco with their arcade motherboards and Namco ported their arcade games to the PSX.

In the arcades Tekken games run on playstation-based motherboards, so porting Tekken to PSX was cheap and easy.

The PSX didn't have strong first party support, unlike the Nintendo 64. This means that Namco games could be more relevant to the system (and have less competition and sell more). Their games had a chance to become the flagship titles of the console. At the end it didn't happen because Sony made a lot of new "friends": Square (FF7 have a SCUS code, btw), Enix, Konami... However Tekken did became the flagship fighting game of the playstation brand.

Next gen PS2 dominated like no console did before so porting Tekken to GC or XBOX was not worth the time and money.

Tekken 6 engine (the Tekken 6 arcade board was PS3-based) wouldn't run on the Wii so again it was not worth the time and money.

Namco's "betrayal" with Soul Calibur... another day.

PS3 is the console of choice in fighting games tournaments because of the diversity of controllers available. Pros aren't going to play with Wii U's tablet controller.

And Captain Falcon in TTT2 would be awesome.

Not true I will lol. Been playing tekken since the first one and ill probably out in a lot of time on the 360 version and the wiiu version.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like the Wii U tech, don't get me wrong, but it is going to have to prove itself going head to head with an already established generation. Will people fork out more money to buy a console just to play current gen games or will they wait until 2013? Your guess is as good as mine. I say the hardcore will do the latter. Nintendo has to win back a crowd they let go of. Namco is going to get caught in the confusion with Tekken. Thats all. I could be wrong, but it just seems that way.

We could have said the same thing about the 360 when it tried to get a portion of the Playstation market. If Nintendo wants a piece of the market, this is where they need to start. You may not believe people will bite, but at least they're offering it.

Had they not offered, you would have probably said that Nintendo is failing to capture the core gamer market. So it's damned if you do damned if you don't. As for confusion, you're right Namco doesn't get caught into confusion, they just make their games and tell the fans to shut up (as OP shows), because they finally realized they were constant complainers.

But to understand, what would it mean for Namco to get caught in the confusion with Tekken? Is Tekken on WiiU a case of getting caught in the confusion? If so, TTT2 would seem to show the opposite.

So I'm not sure about all this.

Fair point you make.

One thning that has not be considered in this argument is that Nintendo console are family oriented. Meaning kids growup with Nintendo.

Once these kids turn 13-15 they usually switch to xbox or playstation to get the figher games (and mature games) that have been lacking on Nintendo consoles.

If Nintendo can provide these opitions early enough along with other mature titles, then these kids turning into young adults will have no reason to switch consoles provided there is enough variety offered for them on WiiU. 

Effectively Nintendo needs to start building its own loyal adult base from the upcoming generation of young adults. Rather than focus on winning back those who already made up their mind that Nintendo sucks.