By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tekken Producer Says People Are Focussing Too Much On Wii U Specs

Cobretti2 said:

Fair point you make.

One thning that has not be considered in this argument is that Nintendo console are family oriented. Meaning kids growup with Nintendo.

Once these kids turn 13-15 they usually switch to xbox or playstation to get the figher games (and mature games) that have been lacking on Nintendo consoles.

If Nintendo can provide these opitions early enough along with other mature titles, then these kids turning into young adults will have no reason to switch consoles provided there is enough variety offered for them on WiiU. 

Effectively Nintendo needs to start building its own loyal adult base from the upcoming generation of young adults. Rather than focus on winning back those who already made up their mind that Nintendo sucks.

You nailed it.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like the Wii U tech, don't get me wrong, but it is going to have to prove itself going head to head with an already established generation. Will people fork out more money to buy a console just to play current gen games or will they wait until 2013? Your guess is as good as mine. I say the hardcore will do the latter. Nintendo has to win back a crowd they let go of. Namco is going to get caught in the confusion with Tekken. Thats all. I could be wrong, but it just seems that way.

We could have said the same thing about the 360 when it tried to get a portion of the Playstation market. If Nintendo wants a piece of the market, this is where they need to start. You may not believe people will bite, but at least they're offering it.

Had they not offered, you would have probably said that Nintendo is failing to capture the core gamer market. So it's damned if you do damned if you don't. As for confusion, you're right Namco doesn't get caught into confusion, they just make their games and tell the fans to shut up (as OP shows), because they finally realized they were constant complainers.

But to understand, what would it mean for Namco to get caught in the confusion with Tekken? Is Tekken on WiiU a case of getting caught in the confusion? If so, TTT2 would seem to show the opposite.

So I'm not sure about all this.

No. Totally wrong. On the PS3 end of things Sony still has steam for possibly another two years if they please. The 360 has to die in 2013 from a hardcore gaming standpoint inrevealing the 720. This is a totally akward time for gaming where the market has been exhausted from what the gaming industry is offering. New consoles need to be delivered, but Nintendo is attacking current gen consoles with games that have basically the same graphics (this is ass backwards). When the next gen comes I am sure Sony and Microsoft will follow suit with the standards Epic games want set to truly harness the new engines. The only point of solace I have for Nintendo is they are the type of company that doesnt care if they have the worst graphics as long as the games are great. 

What Nintendo is doing is absolutely not like how Microsoft segmented Sonys fanbase. Microsoft knowingly rushed a faulty console into a new gen and was the FIRST to show off next gen graphics. People bought into it and third parties were right beside them. They basically collected the third partt ouies who were exclusive to Sony at the beginning of this gen. This is the risk as to why all the 360's broke down. They saw why Sony was so powerful and its that they had a great relationship with third parties and if they want to be great they have to take away their exclusivity to segment them. Nintendo will segment the PS3 and the 360 by having the same games, but not by much because. Nintendo is selling the Wii U based on current gen standards with more graphical power(which in a way I dont mind, but Id like to see Nintendo characters in HD anyway). 

The problem with Tekken is its coming out in September. When it launches on the Wii U the PS3 and 360 will have cased more than 80% of potential buyers. 

Mad55 said:
Player2 said:
DieAppleDie said:
???

Okay, I'll explain it the best that I can.

In Sony consoles each game have associated a code (SLUS or SCUS followed by some numbers).

SCUS stands for Sony Computer USA Software. First party games and very few third party games have this code.

SLUS stands for Sony Licensed USA Software. Third party games have this code.

However, Tekken 3, 4, 5 , Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and more Namco games have an SCUS code. Why Namco games received first party treatment?

Namco even made an exclusive controller for the PSX:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeGcon

How did this happen? When did they became such good friends?

Let's go back to 1994:

In 1994 Sega and Namco were battling each other for the supremacy in the arcades. Sony was about to launch their first console.

Sony wanted a strong lineup of 3D games to show the power of the PSX, and Namco had a strong lineup of 3D arcade games. They decided to help each other. Sony helped Namco with their arcade motherboards and Namco ported their arcade games to the PSX.

In the arcades Tekken games run on playstation-based motherboards, so porting Tekken to PSX was cheap and easy.

The PSX didn't have strong first party support, unlike the Nintendo 64. This means that Namco games could be more relevant to the system (and have less competition and sell more). Their games had a chance to become the flagship titles of the console. At the end it didn't happen because Sony made a lot of new "friends": Square (FF7 have a SCUS code, btw), Enix, Konami... However Tekken did became the flagship fighting game of the playstation brand.

Next gen PS2 dominated like no console did before so porting Tekken to GC or XBOX was not worth the time and money.

Tekken 6 engine (the Tekken 6 arcade board was PS3-based) wouldn't run on the Wii so again it was not worth the time and money.

Namco's "betrayal" with Soul Calibur... another day.

PS3 is the console of choice in fighting games tournaments because of the diversity of controllers available. Pros aren't going to play with Wii U's tablet controller.

And Captain Falcon in TTT2 would be awesome.

Not true I will lol. Been playing tekken since the first one and ill probably out in a lot of time on the 360 version and the wiiu version.

Are you a pro? Generally the pro controllers consist of either PS3 or arcade stick.

I kind of see where STAGE is coming from. IMHO the Wii U seems to be competing with PS360, which is dumb. Whats the point? ninty has already beaten those two with Wii yes I get it they need to start somewhere and they have an ok start, BUT they are competing with systems that have already millions in install base, the XBL is popular and the PS360 isnt even going to be around that much longer, what will happen when Sony and MS unveil their new systems?

Cobretti2 said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like the Wii U tech, don't get me wrong, but it is going to have to prove itself going head to head with an already established generation. Will people fork out more money to buy a console just to play current gen games or will they wait until 2013? Your guess is as good as mine. I say the hardcore will do the latter. Nintendo has to win back a crowd they let go of. Namco is going to get caught in the confusion with Tekken. Thats all. I could be wrong, but it just seems that way.

We could have said the same thing about the 360 when it tried to get a portion of the Playstation market. If Nintendo wants a piece of the market, this is where they need to start. You may not believe people will bite, but at least they're offering it.

Had they not offered, you would have probably said that Nintendo is failing to capture the core gamer market. So it's damned if you do damned if you don't. As for confusion, you're right Namco doesn't get caught into confusion, they just make their games and tell the fans to shut up (as OP shows), because they finally realized they were constant complainers.

But to understand, what would it mean for Namco to get caught in the confusion with Tekken? Is Tekken on WiiU a case of getting caught in the confusion? If so, TTT2 would seem to show the opposite.

So I'm not sure about all this.

Fair point you make.

One thning that has not be considered in this argument is that Nintendo console are family oriented. Meaning kids growup with Nintendo.

Once these kids turn 13-15 they usually switch to xbox or playstation to get the figher games (and mature games) that have been lacking on Nintendo consoles.

If Nintendo can provide these opitions early enough along with other mature titles, then these kids turning into young adults will have no reason to switch consoles provided there is enough variety offered for them on WiiU. 

Effectively Nintendo needs to start building its own loyal adult base from the upcoming generation of young adults. Rather than focus on winning back those who already made up their mind that Nintendo sucks.

lol Nintendo already the youth to COD. Hate kids on Xbox Live.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mad55 said:

Not true I will lol. Been playing tekken since the first one and ill probably out in a lot of time on the 360 version and the wiiu version.

Are you a pro? Generally the pro controllers consist of either PS3 or arcade stick.

Why do them so called "Pro's" matter??, and the "Pros" you are talking about do they make up most of the sales when it comes to a fighting game?.

Have you played Tekken 6 online on the PS3? Just asking. Dont face anyone who has a 1000 match record within the first week of launch. Just saying lol

S.T.A.G.E. said:

No. Totally wrong. On the PS3 end of things Sony still has steam for possibly another two years if they please. The 360 has to die in 2013 from a hardcore gaming standpoint inrevealing the 720. This is a totally akward time for gaming where the market has been exhausted from what the gaming industry is offering. New consoles need to be delivered, but Nintendo is attacking current gen consoles with games that have basically the same graphics (this is ass backwards). When the next gen comes I am sure Sony and Microsoft will follow suit with the standards Epic games want set to truly harness the new engines. The only point of solace I have for Nintendo is they are the type of company that doesnt care if they have the worst graphics as long as the games are great. 

What Nintendo is doing is absolutely not like how Microsoft segmented Sonys fanbase. Microsoft knowingly rushed a faulty console into a new gen and was the FIRST to show off next gen graphics. People bought into it and third parties were right beside them. They basically collected the third partt ouies who were exclusive to Sony at the beginning of this gen. This is the risk as to why all the 360's broke down. They saw why Sony was so powerful and its that they had a great relationship with third parties and if they want to be great they have to take away their exclusivity to segment them. Nintendo will segment the PS3 and the 360 by having the same games, but not by much because. Nintendo is selling the Wii U based on current gen standards with more graphical power(which in a way I dont mind, but Id like to see Nintendo characters in HD anyway). 

The problem with Tekken is its coming out in September. When it launches on the Wii U the PS3 and 360 will have cased more than 80% of potential buyers. 

No, Colbretti's post shows that there are other ways to fragment the fanbase. And even then, does capturing the core have to be the reason of being for TTT2 on the WiiU?

Simple answer... No. Nintendo can create its own market and not care what the other two are making, and that's what it looks like is gonna happen. TTT2 is just part of that, and the 3DS in Japan shows that it's working.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mad55 said:

Why do them so called "Pro's" matter??, and the "Pros" you are talking about do they make up most of the sales when it comes to a fighting game?.

Have you played Tekken 6 online on the PS3? Just asking. Dont face anyone who has a 1000 match record within the first week of launch. Just saying lol

Thats not even the question i asked lol but ill go with it. So if someone is ranked number one Online at Tekken 6 on Xbox 360 are they also a Pro Gamer??

Now when TTT2 comes out and whoever is Ranked number 1 online on the WiiU version are they any less of a Pro gamer then the Online Pros you are talking about on the PS3??.

If you're good on Xbox Live then you can  be good anywhere with that controller. I've played against some good players who use the 360 version but the PS3 is just horrible online. I would like to try my hand with a Wii U player though when it launches. I doubt anyone I know will have it though. No one I know (where I live)thinks its justifiable to buy a new console that plays the same games. I have a friend who played the Wii U recently though and said it was great. Can't blame them, it looks like great tech that Nintendo can harness if they do everything properly.

As for the previous question, the pros do matter. Even those who are not pros but are close to it matter. Newbs matter..thats what I build my record up with and Namco knows newbs will be playing which is why the flipped the system to favor newbs in danger of losing, but they gave the advanced  Tekken gamers thhe ability to juggle. Pros, much like the core in gaming are a minority, but my point is based on where the most competition will exist pro or not. As I said the worst I'd seen was a guy with a 1000 match record on the PS3 version.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

If you're good on Xbox Live then you can  be good anywhere with that controller. I've played against some good players who use the 360 version but the PS3 is just horrible online. I would like to try my hand with a Wii U player though when it launches. I doubt anyone I know will have it though. No one I know (where I live)thinks its justifiable to buy a new console that plays the same games. I have a friend who played the Wii U recently though and said it was great. Can't blame them, it looks like great tech that Nintendo can harness if they do everything properly.

As for the previous question, the pros do matter. Even those who are not pros but are close to it matter. Newbs matter..thats what I build my record up with and Namco knows newbs will be playing which is why the flipped the system to favor newbs in danger of losing, but they gave the advanced  Tekken gamers thhe ability to juggle. Pros, much like the core in gaming are a minority, but my point is based on where the most competition will exist pro or not. As I said the worst I'd seen was a guy with a 1000 match record on the PS3 version.

The most competition exists where there are the most gamers. It doesn't matter if there are more pros in one place or another if you're not a pro. And by pro I mean damn awesome at the game. I'd say I'm not bad at SFIV, but I wouldn't want to get clobbered by pros. If I wanted to fight pros, sure I'd play the HD versions rather than the 3DS version, but so far the 3DS version has given me everything I needed, especially a wonderful circle pad to play with (it's perfect for fighting games imho, much better than the PS3 controller).

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The most competition exists where there are the most gamers. It doesn't matter if there are more pros in one place or another if you're not a pro. And by pro I mean damn awesome at the game. I'd say I'm not bad at SFIV, but I wouldn't want to get clobbered by pros. If I wanted to fight pros, sure I'd play the HD versions rather than the 3DS version, but so far the 3DS version has given me everything I needed, especially a wonderful circle pad to play with (it's perfect for fighting games imho, much better than the PS3 controller).

If you like the circle pad perhaps the 360 version is best for you. :)