By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228

i think it could be a good decision but what i really don't get, if we will get the opportunity to stream the games on whatever device, why exactly is that good for game developers? sure sony would say something like "pay 15 bucks a month and play whatever you want" and they would give the developers a part of that but this can't really bring as much money to them as selling the game as download or at retail.

i just hope this isn't true because then, developers couldn't invest so much in the games. if developers will make the same money and will have the same money to invest in huge games, i have no problem with it and would like the idea if i can still get the games on retail or so because i think at least for multi-player, lag will always be too much and yeah, not even sure if my internet will be still as horrible as it is right now in the next years^^

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:

"In a world where Instagram sells for $1bn, Sony's $380m acquisition of Gaikai looks like an astute piece of business that could potentially revolutionise its PlayStation business."

"OnLive is being mooted as a Microsoft acquisition target but with valuations as high as $1.8bn, the Sony's Gaikai tie-up looks like even more of a bargain."

OnLive valuation at $1.8bn and it's not even as good. Smart move getting Gaikai. The deal with Samsung that Gaikai made already should stay in place also, get Playstation branded content onto those TVs as well all for that single buyout price. 

i have no clue about all these services but if onlive would cost much more, shouldn't there be a reason why it costs more? why does it cost more if it isn't as good? is it on the stock market and that's the reason? (like i said, i don't really know these companies that's why i ask). and if this onlive isn't so good, microsoft should start an own service. shouldn't be so hard for them to start this kind of service with their experience.

crissindahouse said:
Sal.Paradise said:

"In a world where Instagram sells for $1bn, Sony's $380m acquisition of Gaikai looks like an astute piece of business that could potentially revolutionise its PlayStation business."

"OnLive is being mooted as a Microsoft acquisition target but with valuations as high as $1.8bn, the Sony's Gaikai tie-up looks like even more of a bargain."

OnLive valuation at $1.8bn and it's not even as good. Smart move getting Gaikai. The deal with Samsung that Gaikai made already should stay in place also, get Playstation branded content onto those TVs as well all for that single buyout price. 

i have no clue about all these services but if onlive would cost much more, shouldn't there be a reason why it costs more? why does it cost more if it isn't as good? is it on the stock market and that's the reason? (like i said, i don't really know these companies that's why i ask). and if this onlive isn't so good, microsoft should start an own service. shouldn't be so hard for them to start this kind of service with their experience.

OnLive is a fully set up streaming delivery service, with retail hardware boxes, controllers and games out there for people to buy.

Gaikai has the tech (and better tech - better image quality, better server coverage especially in Europe and a partnership with Nvidia tech that is resulting in the lowest latency on the market) but is still smaller and only offer demo streaming from their website.

I believe it was a company made to be bought out at some stage, not to operate on its own like OnLive. 

Sal.Paradise said:

OnLive is a fully set up streaming delivery service, with retail hardware boxes, controllers and games out there for people to buy.

Gaikai has the tech (and better tech - better image quality, better server coverage especially in Europe and a partnership with Nvidia tech that is resulting in the lowest latency on the market) but is still smaller and only offer demo streaming from their website.

I believe it was a company made to be bought out at some stage, not to operate on its own like OnLive. 

ah ok so it isn't so expensive because it did not really make money until now and onlive is making money right now so if you only need the tech and let's say both techs would be the same quality, onlive would be pretty useless because the tech alone you want to use isn't really worth so much.

i think microsoft should really try to start an own service then. no clue about next patent wars but paying much more for something which wouldn't be more useful for them sounds pretty much like money wasting.

and to my other question i asked in another post, have you a clue how developers will make enough money with that then if they would only get a part of the subscription costs you have to pay to sony and maybe microsoft to stream these games? an i have no clue how they will calculate that for every developer?

crissindahouse said:

ah ok so it isn't so expensive because it did not really make money until now and onlive is making money right now so if you only need the tech and let's say both techs would be the same quality, onlive would be pretty useless because the tech alone you want to use is only woth much less.

i think microsoft should really try to start an own service then. no clue about next patent wars but paying much more for something which wouldn't be more useful for them sounds pretty much like money wasting.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS just made their own solution ground up, they're capable of doing it. (Although I gotta say, the only MS cloud-esque service I've ever used, SkyDrive, is kinda shit.)

Around the Network

They won't go software only, streaming will allow them to make cheap hardware that they can stream their higher quality games to. No hardware refresh, no cell bb chip, no nvidia video card, no media drive, just a thin client like device and the tv of your choice.

Looking at how expensive this gen was to R&D the PS3 I can't blame Sony if this is the plan they roll out next gen.

A cheap thin client for $199 with a controller, and video cables out the box. Games, video and music services are streamed to you, your library of music, video, and games are stored on a server, simple and I'm all for it.

Refreash the brand, drop the number digits, and call it PlayStation Air or some crap. Streaming is the future.

Very interesting news to wake up to today.

I'm fascinated with exactly what influence Sony foresee streaming having on the Playstation division. They could use this tech to add limited demos to a vast array of products, including phones and TV's as a method of advertisement for their new hardware or you could carry your PS account to multiple devices changing from streaming to installed software depending on what you're using.

Good news for PlayStation owners if this gets integrated into the PS4, I'd imagine it will open up an even wider selection of software.

Icy-Zone said:
S.Peelman said:
If the next generation Playstation games would be streaming only, I'm not buying anymore Playstation. Next Gen could then very well be the first time I'd buy an XBox.
I want my stuff, all of my stuff, to actually physically be here. I need to be able to hold it in my hands, I don't like my belongings to be magically 'in the clouds', where I can only hope the things I payed for will work indefinitely. If I have physical copies of my things, no one can ever screw me over.
The day Cloud Gaming becomes the norm and it becomes the only way I could purchase a game is the day I stop gaming (on new consoles).
If they'll only use it for demos and the like then fine, but I don't see the point.

You wouldn't need to buy another console.. Your PS3 and Vita (amongst other devices) would be able to stream PS4 games as it wouldn't require much processing power from your end.  But yeah, I like owning a physical copy of my games so I understand where you're coming from.

I dont think PSN will stay free if they went with that plan. 

Yay!!!

Game demos, PS1 & PS2 games, any and all kinds of video/services... this could be very good for gamers.

It's confirmed then, the next PlayStation will be the PS4ever.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(