By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228
Flanneryaug said:

I'm not saying that cloud gaming won't ever be a good investment, but it isn't one right now.

have you tried gaikai ? (you can just go to the website and start a demo, no subscription or anything needed - just maybe a java update)

the technology seems to be ready, as the input lag I got was very minor (at 100% connection quality), so they needed to buy now,because in the future it will just get more expensive to buy into it

Around the Network

this has great potential. You could buy a game digitally and if you internet speed is fast enough you could just stream it, or if you dont feel like it, just download it :D

Lafiel said:
Flanneryaug said:

I'm not saying that cloud gaming won't ever be a good investment, but it isn't one right now.

have you tried gaikai ? (you can just go to the website and start a demo, no subscription or anything needed - just maybe a java update)

the technology seems to be ready, as the input lag I got was very minor (at 100% connection quality), so they needed to buy now, as in the future it will just get more expensive to buy into it

agree.  i was pretty impressed overall by the demo.  i tried rayman orgins because that is what i was playing on vita at the time which made for a great comparision.  I didn't noticed any lag personally.  I only had two things that i found different.  A) the keyboard is a terrible input for platformers.  B) a pretty noticable downgrade in resolution.  I think wii/CoD proves most of the market doesn't care about graphics like it do so i think it will be fine.

There are a lot of questions to this move.

Is this for PlayStation or Sony On-Line?

Will other companies continue to put their games on the service? (i.e. EA, Microsoft, etc.)?

This gets tech. But how the tech is used will determine if it is folly or fabulous.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

in before: Sony are be poor becasue the internet told me so- *beaten*

interesting to see where this goes

Around the Network

They should merge SEN (Sony entertainment network) accounts with Gaikai accounts, so that I can buy games using PSN cards, and earn PlayStation Trophies instead of Gaikai achievements (if that is what they are called).

They could also offer PS3/PSVITA games to different kind of devices.   If you prefer phisical copies then you would need a PS3/PSVITA, but if you just want to stream games, then you could be able to do it with your device of choice.

kitler53 said:
Lafiel said:
Flanneryaug said:

the technology seems to be ready, as the input lag I got was very minor (at 100% connection quality), so they needed to buy now, as in the future it will just get more expensive to buy into it

agree.  i was pretty impressed overall by the demo.  i tried rayman orgins because that is what i was playing on vita at the time which made for a great comparision.  I didn't noticed any lag personally.  I only had two things that i found different.  A) the keyboard is a terrible input for platformers.  B) a pretty noticable downgrade in resolution.  I think wii/CoD proves most of the market doesn't care about graphics like it do so i think it will be fine.

Try NFS: Run and get back to us... the lag felt horrible to me.

A few days ago I tried Onlive and the mouse lag was also horrible on games like Bioshock and UT3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Nice move to backwards compatibility... PS1, PS2, PC, etc.

Well, if they really thought this is the right moment to move to cloud computing it's a smart move, although it would have been better before E3 and the rumors about Sony buying it that have probably made Gaikai shares to rise and thus make the deal more expensive, and $380 million is not that much money.

Now the question is what will they do Sony with it. I'd say that for now they will lock it to Sony devices, probably PS4 and Vita, and PCs.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

After i read this news i tried out Gaikai on my pc.
First impressions:

- had to load about 7 times until the game (witcher 2) started. "due to our high popularity our servers are busy". understandable, guess many people are checking this out now.
- couldn't change to fullscreen. everytime i did it jumped back to the browser after 2 seconds.
- controls are ok, had no mentionable lags.

so, i am ok with that. if they can stabilize servers and make i feel more comfortable i'd totally like this concept on my ps3 / ps4. one big advantage: when i buy a game i can play instant. no need for downloads or shipping.

i hope for sony they can use gaikai as a selling point and turn some profit out of it. could be a good step to use it for the demos. than, later on, maybe one buys a retail game and gets a code for gaikai to stream it. maybe i will be able to send in my ps3 library to enable those games on gaikai.

and for all the people who think it is a bad decision to buy other companies when the whole company isn't profitable: i don't think they paid too much, i.e. they paid a price which is "the market price" for that company. this purchase increases the loss, yes. but markets do analyse where the loss comes from, and this is an investment. everyone's talking about mobile devices and streaming, and this will be the future technology. so better buy gaikai now when the hype hasn't begun yet. nice to see that sony has done this step into the future.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse