By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228

I am sceptic, about that. On the other Hand, I always am. Let´s hope Sony has done the right thing.

btw. can someone tell me some things about Gaikai. What it actually is, would be a start.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
I am sceptic, about that. On the other Hand, I always am. Let´s hope Sony has done the right thing.

btw. can someone tell me some things about Gaikai. What it actually is, would be a start.

right now it's a free game-streaming service for demos - you can test demos of several different games for 30 minutes without any subscription or fee on their website (in a java window)

Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:

right now it's a free game-streaming service for demos - you can test demos of several different games for 30 minutes without any subscription or fee on their website (in a java window)

Now I am even more sceptic. Why is this company 380 million$ worth then. Because this does not seem like a very big deal to me. I thought it was something like Steam.

pezus said:
AndrewWK said:
Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:

Now I am even more sceptic. Why is this company 380 million$ worth then. Because this does not seem like a very big deal to me. I thought it was something like Steam.

Because of the technology and potential. Steam does not offer streaming. Now that Sony has bought them, they can start streaming full titles if they so wish.

Is this really something we need? I mean Streaming games would need constant online access. how much bandwidth would it need? And what would happen if you have connection issues? I think it was a dumb thing to do. But I am just one guy.

I personally think this is how PS4 will maintain backwards compatability with all prior Playstations. It could also mean superior remote play for Vita. It would also help any Playstation certified device as well. Seems like Sony is really trying to differentiate with PSN by allowing you to have your games whenever on whatever which is quite ideal. I just hope they dont screw it up.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
pezus said:
AndrewWK said:
Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:

Because of the technology and potential. Steam does not offer streaming. Now that Sony has bought them, they can start streaming full titles if they so wish.

Is this really something we need? I mean Streaming games would need constant online access. how much bandwidth would it need? And what would happen if you have connection issues? I think it was a dumb thing to do. But I am just one guy.

It means you can play highly spec'ed games on any device that is good enough to handle the video stream(think TVs, tablets, smart phones, handhelds), because the game itself runs on high-end servers. In the future there probably won't be new consoles (not sure if after next gen there is another gen tbh), because you can just upgrade the servers and have better quality available for all those stream-enabled devices.

And Sony invested in this now, because the technology is advanced enough to go mass market (just test it on gaikai.com)  so they needed to acquire the necessary software patents and the infrastructure and know-how gaikai build up.

Ofc it means "always online", which in the 1st world countries mostly is no problem anyways, and currently their demos on relatively low video quality settings use up 1mbit-2.5mbit/s. With a medium sized adsl connection you should easily be able to use it (if there are server clusters in your region and they aren't overloaded - gaikai itself was just a small start-up but now sony can build up more and better infrastructure for that system) at this quality setting. I expect Sony to push atleast 1080p for that in the future, which probably will need better connections.

Abd here's what Tak Fuji thinks about all this..

Chark said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Guess you didn't hear about Sony spending 2.2 billion acquiring some music recently? They are now the largest because of it if I remember.

that bid for EMI was done way before Kaz became CEO and Sony was not in such a miserable position like they are now.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Troll_Whisperer said:
DirtyP2002 said:
ethomaz said:
Nice move to backwards compatibility... PS1, PS2, PC, etc.

How is it backwards compatibility when you have to re-buy these games?

As someone said above, you can just put your game in and when the PS4 or whatever detects the disc it'll allow you to stream the game. This is what was done with the PSP-Vita program in Japan.

I just noticed something that made me lol.

Sony invested 1 billion USD in the cell processor and spends another 400 million to buy a company to avoid backwards compatibility issues with it so they can finally ditch it. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

At the beginning of this generation and a couple of years in, the cell processor was a myth and oh so powerful even though games did not show it.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

"In a world where Instagram sells for $1bn, Sony's $380m acquisition of Gaikai looks like an astute piece of business that could potentially revolutionise its PlayStation business."

"OnLive is being mooted as a Microsoft acquisition target but with valuations as high as $1.8bn, the Sony's Gaikai tie-up looks like even more of a bargain."

OnLive valuation at $1.8bn and it's not even as good. Smart move getting Gaikai. The deal with Samsung that Gaikai made already should stay in place also, get Playstation branded content onto those TVs as well all for that single buyout price.