By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228
Fumanchu said:
Kasz216 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
It's a good idea to provide backwards compatibility (I don't know how you would prove you own the game) if this is impossible otherwise.

Apart from that, I like my physical copies, so I hope this doesn't take off.

To late for the current gen, but could always use one time registration product codes.

Of course then again, someone might just buy the game, use the registration code for the streaming version and sell the disc version.

Could always be used for "game renting" as well to try and cut into used games market.

Or just do all streaming to get rid of that, and piracy.  Go the full Diablo 3 route.

I'd say they'd just use the same check as Microsoft does when you install games to the hard drive i.e. you must have the game disc in the tray/slot. 

doubtful, it would defeat the point.  ...especially if they get this streaming to TVs where there is not disc drive.

sony just bought this tech -- if obviously won't be put to use much if at all for the ps3.  for that case BC for ps3 games it probably wouldn't be a big deal if someone sells their disc after the fact as the software doesn't have much value 10 years later.  for ps4 games they could be more sophisicaed about it.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Chevinator123 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Gotta spend money to make money and anyway this isn't the only thing they have brough in the pass few mounths, they brought EMI music publishing for 2.2B they now have the biggst marketshare in music publishing

which is a collapsing industry as well and was done way before Kaz became CEO.

I just don't see where Sony can make money with Gaikai on the Playstation. 99% of Gaikais customers are on Windows PCs and will stay there. If Gaikai really is demo only on the PS3, I really don't get the point to subscribe to Gaikai even for free when you can download the same demo right from PSN and play it in a better quality.

If they sell retail games for the PS3 via Gaikai they have to make sure they only run on PS3s and not Windows PCs and other devices, because that would kill PS3 sales. If they manage to sell retail games only on PS3, why not sell them straight from PSN in the first place or build a similar service to Gaikai instead of paying 400 million for it? Normally you pay more money than the amount you would have spent for the assets due to the customers, but what would be the point if your company does not benefit from these customers?

I can't wait to see how this will be implemented in the future.

that might not be a bad thing...   i mean, sony can't seem to make money on hardware anyways. 

imo, the wii sucess was in part due to having a low cost of entry @ $250.  if gaikai can stream to any interent enabled device (TVs, Blu ray players, computers, tablets)  they could reduce that price to $0. that breaks down a huge barrier to entry to play sony's games.

Ex.  you're a 360 fan, i get that, it's a good system.  if you could play the last of us without having to get the ps3 hardware wouldn't you be more likely to play?

anywhoo, i agree with your post above.  it is a pretty big risk.  if not well planned and implemented it could really backfire on them.  i also can't wait to see how this will be implemented.  but in the short term ... game demos without a download would be awesome in of itself.

The scenario you describe is basically becoming Software only and I just can't see that.
I can play all the PS3 games without the need of a special hardware so why should Sony sell the "PS4" for 0 USD and make a loss with it when everyone with a braodband connection can play these titles on their devices anyway?!

And it would be just a matter of time before you can play these games on Xbox 3 as well. Sony would only increase their audience.

I would give Uncharted 4 a try through my Samsung Smart TV (or Xbox 3) if there is not a subscription-modell or something like this behind it but I would not get a new device for that game.

I can't see it happen like that.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

kitler53 said:
Fumanchu said:
Kasz216 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
It's a good idea to provide backwards compatibility (I don't know how you would prove you own the game) if this is impossible otherwise.

Apart from that, I like my physical copies, so I hope this doesn't take off.

To late for the current gen, but could always use one time registration product codes.

Of course then again, someone might just buy the game, use the registration code for the streaming version and sell the disc version.

Could always be used for "game renting" as well to try and cut into used games market.

Or just do all streaming to get rid of that, and piracy.  Go the full Diablo 3 route.

I'd say they'd just use the same check as Microsoft does when you install games to the hard drive i.e. you must have the game disc in the tray/slot. 

doubtful, it would defeat the point.  ...especially if they get this streaming to TVs where there is not disc drive.

sony just bought this tech -- if obviously won't be put to use much if at all for the ps3.  for that case BC for ps3 games it probably wouldn't be a big deal if someone sells their disc after the fact as the software doesn't have much value 10 years later.  for ps4 games they could be more sophisicaed about it.

I'm talking about how it could be used for PS3 backwards compatibility to verify you had purchased the game...

I'm sure there could be a number of subscription models they could offer, but it's unlikely that they'll give over the entire PS3 catalogue for a monthly fee.  They'll most likely sell/rent individual games. 

DirtyP2002 said:
kitler53 said:

that might not be a bad thing...   i mean, sony can't seem to make money on hardware anyways. 

imo, the wii sucess was in part due to having a low cost of entry @ $250.  if gaikai can stream to any interent enabled device (TVs, Blu ray players, computers, tablets)  they could reduce that price to $0. that breaks down a huge barrier to entry to play sony's games.

Ex.  you're a 360 fan, i get that, it's a good system.  if you could play the last of us without having to get the ps3 hardware wouldn't you be more likely to play?

anywhoo, i agree with your post above.  it is a pretty big risk.  if not well planned and implemented it could really backfire on them.  i also can't wait to see how this will be implemented.  but in the short term ... game demos without a download would be awesome in of itself.

The scenario you describe is basically becoming Software only and I just can't see that.
I can play all the PS3 games without the need of a special hardware so why should Sony sell the "PS4" for 0 USD and make a loss with it when everyone with a braodband connection can play these titles on their devices anyway?!

And it would be just a matter of time before you can play these games on Xbox 3 as well. Sony would only increase their audience.

I would give Uncharted 4 a try through my Samsung Smart TV (or Xbox 3) if there is not a subscription-modell or something like this behind it but I would not get a new device for that game.

I can't see it happen like that.

i guess i can see them going software only.  there will be only ~70M ps3s sold LTD.  there are 300M people just in the US and i'd wager at least half of them have some sort of internet access.  if done well you could really expand your audience by ditching the exclusive hardware entirely.

put it this way, if uncharted 4 could instantly because a 20M seller instead of a 5M seller simply due to increased accessibility that's an extra 900M dollars (retail revenue).  compare that to the several billion dollars they lost on ps3 hardware this gen.

there will be a ps4/xbox720.  ...but i'm pretty sure neither MS or Sony will have a hardware after that though.  or if they do it won't be a locked down experience like the current set of consoles.  by then there (with the way converence is going) there probably won't be a dedicated anything. 

Wow, it actually happened! Very exciting for me as a consumer, I'm cautiously awaiting their implementation of the tech. Gaikai was definitely the right choice over onLive too. And lol at people saying this is a bad decision as if this giant technology company should not be investing in...technology.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
kitler53 said:

I'm talking about how it could be used for PS3 backwards compatibility to verify you had purchased the game...

I'm sure there could be a number of subscription models they could offer, but it's unlikely that they'll give over the entire PS3 catalogue for a monthly fee.  They'll most likely sell/rent individual games. 

who knows.  i'd pay $50 a month of that service.  it would be smart of them to offer several models -- pay per title, rentals, rent to own, subscription. 

but you are probably right.  they had that upgrade plan in japan to buy the digital versions of your disc based games.  i guess i could see that again.  kind of defeats the point (for me) but honestly that's probably what they'll do again if anything.

meh the day I can't own a physical copy of a game will be the day I quit gaming.

good luck to those who want this.

But but but Sony isn't capable of buying anything? Sony is a sinking ship I tell you.

Anyways, I can see the Gakai deals will be implemented on their future TV models.

Icy-Zone said:
Flanneryaug said:
I think this is a pretty bad decision by Sony. A company that lost 6 billion last year shouldn't be spending 380 million on unnecessary tech.

I heard it was 1.2 billion. These are some comments from n4g members. Apparently sony's still ballin'.

Mikhail  +   2h ago

Deficit in the balance sheet is different from net loss in the income statement. Just google those to know the difference

LNDCalling  +   1h ago

For a company purported by many to be in financial difficulty they aren't half flashing the cash!

In 2012:-

USD 1,000,000,000 (Invested in camera image sensor production)
USD 623,000,000 (Invested in Olympus)
USD 380,000,000 (To acquire Gaikai)
USD 2,200,000,000 (EMI - as 50/50 JV assume circa USD1bn from Sony)
USD ??? (Sony and Panasonic OLED TV joint venture)

And late 2011:-

USD 1,470,000,000 (To acquire Ericsson)

And these are just a few of their recent investments / acquisitions.

Back on topic, I think this is a good move in all sorts of ways especially if implemented correctly and one that could send shockwaves through the industry depending what they do with it… interesting times!

They lost 1.2 billion in the last financial quarter, but about 6 billion in the last financial year. Also, all of your data shows why Sony is in its current financial situation. I'm not saying that cloud gaming won't ever be a good investment, but it isn't one right now.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Flanneryaug said:
Icy-Zone said:
Flanneryaug said:
I think this is a pretty bad decision by Sony. A company that lost 6 billion last year shouldn't be spending 380 million on unnecessary tech.

I heard it was 1.2 billion. These are some comments from n4g members. Apparently sony's still ballin'.

Mikhail  +   2h ago

Deficit in the balance sheet is different from net loss in the income statement. Just google those to know the difference

LNDCalling  +   1h ago

For a company purported by many to be in financial difficulty they aren't half flashing the cash!

In 2012:-

USD 1,000,000,000 (Invested in camera image sensor production)
USD 623,000,000 (Invested in Olympus)
USD 380,000,000 (To acquire Gaikai)
USD 2,200,000,000 (EMI - as 50/50 JV assume circa USD1bn from Sony)
USD ??? (Sony and Panasonic OLED TV joint venture)

And late 2011:-

USD 1,470,000,000 (To acquire Ericsson)

And these are just a few of their recent investments / acquisitions.

Back on topic, I think this is a good move in all sorts of ways especially if implemented correctly and one that could send shockwaves through the industry depending what they do with it… interesting times!

They lost 1.2 billion in the last financial quarter, but about 6 billion in the last financial year. Also, all of your data shows why Sony is in its current financial situation. I'm not saying that cloud gaming won't ever be a good investment, but it isn't one right now.

Wrong.  The loss for SCE was from March 2011 to March 2012.