By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228

Sony Computer Entertainment has agreed to acquire cloud gaming service Gaikai for approximately $380 million and establish a new cloud service.

The acquisition includes all Gaikai's technology and infrastructure, giving Sony a large network of datacentres to deliver streaming content to its customers.

"By combining Gaikai's resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE's extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences," said Andrew House, group CEO of SCE.

"SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices."

To Read More http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-02-sony-acquires-gaikai-for-USD380m

So Sony are the first of the big 3 to make the move into online cloud gaming, buying up Gaikai and all its infrastructure, so do you think this is a good move. 

Around the Network

damn missed by a seconds

Now the question is, will they start streaming Playsation games to all Gaikai suported platforms

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:

damn missed by a seconds

Now the question is, will they start streaming Playsation games to all Gaikai suported platforms

He He Sorry

To be honest i think Sony got a bargain, setting something like this up from scratch without any of the patents would of been a nightmare, now there in a very strong position going forward.

I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Will this be exclusive to North American customers only like with OnLive?

Around the Network
Panama said:
Will this be exclusive to North American customers only like with OnLive?

How do you mean, i have used both On LIve and Gaikai in the UK, Gaikai is only for demos right now anwyay, dont think they sell full games in any country yet, now im guessing they will be moving into streaming PS content. 

PSN+ new subscription model; $60 a year for full PS3 backwards compatibility.

Hopefully this pays off for Sony.

kowenicki said:
zarx said:

damn missed by a seconds

surely not... that would be a massive own goal.

Why?

Sony/MS etc. make money selling games and peripherals not by selling consoles. Cutting the actual console from the equation only will increase the profit.

kowenicki said:
zarx said:

damn missed by a seconds

surely not... that would be a massive own goal.

They already let people play PS1 games on Playstation certified phones (tho HTC is currently the only non Sony developed devices to support it,) I don't really see how offering demos of Sony games via streaming would be an own goal, if anything it could be a great tool to advertise the PS3/4 as they could let people try out games like uncharted etc without buying a PS3.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!