By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228
DirtyP2002 said:
Chevinator123 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Gotta spend money to make money and anyway this isn't the only thing they have brough in the pass few mounths, they brought EMI music publishing for 2.2B they now have the biggst marketshare in music publishing

which is a collapsing industry as well and was done way before Kaz became CEO.

I just don't see where Sony can make money with Gaikai on the Playstation. 99% of Gaikais customers are on Windows PCs and will stay there. If Gaikai really is demo only on the PS3, I really don't get the point to subscribe to Gaikai even for free when you can download the same demo right from PSN and play it in a better quality.

If they sell retail games for the PS3 via Gaikai they have to make sure they only run on PS3s and not Windows PCs and other devices, because that would kill PS3 sales. If they manage to sell retail games only on PS3, why not sell them straight from PSN in the first place or build a similar service to Gaikai instead of paying 400 million for it? Normally you pay more money than the amount you would have spent for the assets due to the customers, but what would be the point if your company does not benefit from these customers?

I can't wait to see how this will be implemented in the future.

Gaikai doesnt have any paying customers it doesnt sell games, its just for streaming demos at the moment, and Sony are very open about making there products available on more platforms, as long as the money is going through there store, they wont care people arent playing on Sony branded hardware. 

Just look at Kindle, Amazon sell there books on all platforms, doesnt mean they discontinue there own hardware, the future big digital companies will be the ones that let there consumers get access to there content anywhere on any platform, not on one first party box under there tele. 

Around the Network

I think this is a pretty bad decision by Sony. A company that lost 6 billion last year shouldn't be spending 380 million on unnecessary tech.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

It's a step in the right direction. Streaming is an inevitable future imo, it's good that they're adopting early. I highly doubt we'll see full game streaming on consoles next gen, internet connections just aren't there yet. but there are many other things this is useful for, and the service alone, without any playstation integration will bring in money.

Flanneryaug said:
I think this is a pretty bad decision by Sony. A company that lost 6 billion last year shouldn't be spending 380 million on unnecessary tech.

I heard it was 1.2 billion. These are some comments from n4g members. Apparently sony's still ballin'.

Mikhail  +   2h ago

Deficit in the balance sheet is different from net loss in the income statement. Just google those to know the difference

LNDCalling  +   1h ago

For a company purported by many to be in financial difficulty they aren't half flashing the cash!

In 2012:-

USD 1,000,000,000 (Invested in camera image sensor production)
USD 623,000,000 (Invested in Olympus)
USD 380,000,000 (To acquire Gaikai)
USD 2,200,000,000 (EMI - as 50/50 JV assume circa USD1bn from Sony)
USD ??? (Sony and Panasonic OLED TV joint venture)

And late 2011:-

USD 1,470,000,000 (To acquire Ericsson)

And these are just a few of their recent investments / acquisitions.

Back on topic, I think this is a good move in all sorts of ways especially if implemented correctly and one that could send shockwaves through the industry depending what they do with it… interesting times!

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

If the next generation Playstation games would be streaming only, I'm not buying anymore Playstation. With all the Sony rumours, next Gen could then very well be the first time I'd buy an XBox. I really hope the future is not headed towards digital only distribution.
I want my stuff, all of my stuff, to actually physically be here. I need to be able to hold it in my hands, I don't like my belongings to be magically 'in the clouds', where I can only hope the things I payed for will work indefinitely. If I have physical copies of my things, no one can ever screw me over.

The day Cloud Gaming becomes the norm and it becomes the only way I could purchase a game is the day I stop gaming (on new consoles).
If they'll only use it for demos and the like then fine, but I don't see the point.

Around the Network

Sounds cool, but I question it's application. Cloud gaming for consoles seems like having a cloud contacts list for your cell phone.

Most people only have 1 anyway.

I mean, you could go PSvita/PS3, but... unless your giving a way a copy of a PS vita game to anyone who buys the PS3/4 version I question that applicability of that too.

I'd have to guess if this has to do with Playstation, Sony is planning to do something innovative as hell.

Like maybe a "console" that is a number of tablet screens.

S.Peelman said:
If the next generation Playstation games would be streaming only, I'm not buying anymore Playstation. Next Gen could then very well be the first time I'd buy an XBox.
I want my stuff, all of my stuff, to actually physically be here. I need to be able to hold it in my hands, I don't like my belongings to be magically 'in the clouds', where I can only hope the things I payed for will work indefinitely. If I have physical copies of my things, no one can ever screw me over.
The day Cloud Gaming becomes the norm and it becomes the only way I could purchase a game is the day I stop gaming (on new consoles).
If they'll only use it for demos and the like then fine, but I don't see the point.

You wouldn't need to buy another console.. Your PS3 and Vita (amongst other devices) would be able to stream PS4 games as it wouldn't require much processing power from your end.  But yeah, I like owning a physical copy of my games so I understand where you're coming from.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Icy-Zone said:
Flanneryaug said:

I heard it was 1.2 billion. These are some comments from n4g members. Apparently sony's still ballin'.

Mikhail  +   2h ago

Deficit in the balance sheet is different from net loss in the income statement. Just google those to know the difference

LNDCalling  +   1h ago

For a company purported by many to be in financial difficulty they aren't half flashing the cash!

In 2012:-

USD 1,000,000,000 (Invested in camera image sensor production)
USD 623,000,000 (Invested in Olympus)
USD 380,000,000 (To acquire Gaikai)
USD 2,200,000,000 (EMI - as 50/50 JV assume circa USD1bn from Sony)
USD ??? (Sony and Panasonic OLED TV joint venture)

And late 2011:-

USD 1,470,000,000 (To acquire Ericsson)

And these are just a few of their recent investments / acquisitions.

Back on topic, I think this is a good move in all sorts of ways especially if implemented correctly and one that could send shockwaves through the industry depending what they do with it… interesting times!

Never ever trust N4G comments. I just troll there and see what happens.

Look at the way N4G responded to my comment and look how neogaf or VGC responded to the fact that SCE lost 1.2 billion last year.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Too early to tell, maybe they'll use this as a improvement point for Sony TV's, have Playstation games be available to their TV sets for streaming exclusivity. Won't do much good now that Samsung beat them to the punch, but I don't really understand what they want with this anyway.

Nvm, forgot Samsumg already signed such a deal that would be hard to escape.

Samsung and LG have collaborations with Gaikai so I don't know how that is going to play out. Probably royalty payments unless Samung/LG nix's the deal.