By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228

With the invention of Playstation Mobile, and now this, Sony clearly see there content going forward to be platform agnostic where possible. This does not mean for a second there pulling out of the console race, just means theyve realised people want there digital content on any device they own, and it is going to be a big selling point when people are choosing there digital stores in the future.

Its certainly why i buy my books from kindle store, can read them on any device.

Around the Network

I would imagine that Sony would be gearing to either bolster their online service offerings to gain more subscribers or at least sell this as a service to enable backwards compatibility for the PS4. Surely they must have a revenue stream in mind for this service instead of just marketing/mindshare to play PS4 demos on TVs etc.

DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Gotta spend money to make money and anyway this isn't the only thing they have brough in the pass few mounths, they brought EMI music publishing for 2.2B they now have the biggst marketshare in music publishing

Chevinator123 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Gotta spend money to make money and anyway this isn't the only thing they have brough in the pass few mounths, they brought EMI music publishing for 2.2B they now have the biggst marketshare in music publishing

which is a collapsing industry as well and was done way before Kaz became CEO.

I just don't see where Sony can make money with Gaikai on the Playstation. 99% of Gaikais customers are on Windows PCs and will stay there. If Gaikai really is demo only on the PS3, I really don't get the point to subscribe to Gaikai even for free when you can download the same demo right from PSN and play it in a better quality.

If they sell retail games for the PS3 via Gaikai they have to make sure they only run on PS3s and not Windows PCs and other devices, because that would kill PS3 sales. If they manage to sell retail games only on PS3, why not sell them straight from PSN in the first place or build a similar service to Gaikai instead of paying 400 million for it? Normally you pay more money than the amount you would have spent for the assets due to the customers, but what would be the point if your company does not benefit from these customers?

I can't wait to see how this will be implemented in the future.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Well if this is working Next Gen(Gaikai only demos for now but i love it) with full Games i won't buy any games in stores anymore.
Gaikai or OnLive are the things i wished for the most - This is the future > This is the best thing that is going to happen Next Gen.
Hopefully M$ is buying or copying someone and gets their own technology...Maybe End of Next Gen we already can have Maxed out Multiplats on all systems when PC Games again look far superior there.

Around the Network

Why do people think Sony only work on PS3? 

they have SOE as well, they're probably going to release PS3 games on Gaikai , screw exclusity ,only fanboys care about it, 

Time to upgrade to a fiber optic internet connection with unlimited usage.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Maybe Sony got confused... when we said we wanted Cloud on the ps3 we meant Final Fantasy 7 Remake...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I wonder when we will see the first game streaming services on PSN, will it take half a year or will they announce and implement sth as soon as Gamescom/TGS ?

were this people the ones that said that one of the big 3 would not have a next generation console?