By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228

i can see why they would do this, a streaming client on the PS3 would take up less ram and free up recources to implement cross game chat

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
PDF said:
Does this mean the ps4 will be the last piece of hardware i'll ever have to own. If they promote the console as such I think thats a pretty big selling point.

actually in that leaked Microsoft document (which i read was from april 2010, so it's more than 2 years old - not sure how much of it is still really planned for the next machine) Microsoft actually wrote the same thing.. 720 the last console a consumer needs and cloud gaming by 2015

DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

This.

In FY2011 they had a 94,374 million yen loss. It is now looking like for FY2012 they are also going to post a very hefty loss what with the 380million for acquiring Gaikai, PS4 R&D and Vita's poor performance. 

Not only this but acquiring Gaikai is possibly a good long term move but is a complete gamble. Unless I'm mistaken, Gaikai so far has done nothing but lose money. I don't think they really even have a revenue stream at this point. Streaming of games in general has so far received a pretty lukewarm reception and there are still A LOT of hurdles for it to overcome. In it's current form I really don't think core gamers will embrace it. 

It just seems that for a company that has had such massive financial woes over the last generation that making a very risky acquistion with no sight of when it will actually be profitable is madness. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

PDF said:
Does this mean the ps4 will be the last piece of hardware i'll ever have to own. If they promote the console as such I think thats a pretty big selling point.

Theoretically; this will depend entirely on the end users experience with Sony's future infrastructure improvements and the bandwidth services in your local area.  Even still, it's hard to imagine a quality of service that mirrors local rendering. 

It's a good idea to provide backwards compatibility (I don't know how you would prove you own the game) if this is impossible otherwise.

Apart from that, I like my physical copies, so I hope this doesn't take off.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

It all depends how Sony decide to implement Gakai into it's current ecosystem. Going Foward, Sony isn't going to limit the PS4 to a digital distribution model only. It's about giving your customers choices for physical or digital mediums. IMO this is a case of Sony going for the ultimate media centre. Whether this strategy is successful or not is an entirely different matter.

Troll_Whisperer said:
It's a good idea to provide backwards compatibility (I don't know how you would prove you own the game) if this is impossible otherwise.

To late for the current gen, but could always use one time registration product codes.

Of course then again, someone might just buy the game, use the registration code for the streaming version and sell the disc version.

Could always be used for "game renting" as well to try and cut into used games market.

Or just do all streaming to get rid of that, and piracy.  Go the full Diablo 3 route.

DirtyP2002 said:
Chevinator123 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Gotta spend money to make money and anyway this isn't the only thing they have brough in the pass few mounths, they brought EMI music publishing for 2.2B they now have the biggst marketshare in music publishing

which is a collapsing industry as well and was done way before Kaz became CEO.

I just don't see where Sony can make money with Gaikai on the Playstation. 99% of Gaikais customers are on Windows PCs and will stay there. If Gaikai really is demo only on the PS3, I really don't get the point to subscribe to Gaikai even for free when you can download the same demo right from PSN and play it in a better quality.

If they sell retail games for the PS3 via Gaikai they have to make sure they only run on PS3s and not Windows PCs and other devices, because that would kill PS3 sales. If they manage to sell retail games only on PS3, why not sell them straight from PSN in the first place or build a similar service to Gaikai instead of paying 400 million for it? Normally you pay more money than the amount you would have spent for the assets due to the customers, but what would be the point if your company does not benefit from these customers?

I can't wait to see how this will be implemented in the future.

that might not be a bad thing...   i mean, sony can't seem to make money on hardware anyways. 

imo, the wii sucess was in part due to having a low cost of entry @ $250.  if gaikai can stream to any interent enabled device (TVs, Blu ray players, computers, tablets)  they could reduce that price to $0. that breaks down a huge barrier to entry to play sony's games.

Ex.  you're a 360 fan, i get that, it's a good system.  if you could play the last of us without having to get the ps3 hardware wouldn't you be more likely to play?

anywhoo, i agree with your post above.  it is a pretty big risk.  if not well planned and implemented it could really backfire on them.  i also can't wait to see how this will be implemented.  but in the short term ... game demos without a download would be awesome in of itself.

Kasz216 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

To late for the current gen, but could always use one time registration product codes.

Of course then again, someone might just buy the game, use the registration code for the streaming version and sell the disc version.

Could always be used for "game renting" as well to try and cut into used games market.

Or just do all streaming to get rid of that, and piracy.  Go the full Diablo 3 route.

I'd say they'd just use the same check as Microsoft does when you install games to the hard drive i.e. you must have the game disc in the tray/slot. 

Troll_Whisperer said:

I think they could just verify your PS3 BR you put into the PS4 and then start the game stream. The PS4 will be capable of reading and verifying the PS3 BRs, just not of playing the games on there as it's likely not strong enough and architecturally too different to straight up emulate it.