By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE buys Gaikai, Sony make first move into Streaming Games

Have Sony Made The Right Move?

Yes - Cloud Gaming is an ... 118 51.75%

Maybe - Far too early to tell 67 29.39%

No - Waste of Money on an insane idea. 43 18.86%

Total:228
ethomaz said:
Nice move to backwards compatibility... PS1, PS2, PC, etc.

How is it backwards compatibility when you have to re-buy these games?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
ethomaz said:

As someone said above, you can just put your game in and when the PS4 or whatever detects the disc it'll allow you to stream the game. This is what was done with the PSP-Vita program in Japan.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
DirtyP2002 said:
ethomaz said:

As someone said above, you can just put your game in and when the PS4 or whatever detects the disc it'll allow you to stream the game. This is what was done with the PSP-Vita program in Japan.

Now we should hope that if they ever do that in Japan, to do it in the Us ¬_¬

This a good move for Sony, but risky. Sometimes it pays off to take risks. This service is not even in it's infant stages yet, so it's hard to tell what they will do with this and what it means, for PS4, PS Vita, SOE, TV's, And Sony's owned phones and any partnerships they have with other companies.

Sony may stumble with this service at the start, but I'm certain they will do fine. As time goes on, they will tweak this service on all Sony devices too make it better.

Gehirnkrampf said:
After i read this news i tried out Gaikai on my pc.
First impressions:

- had to load about 7 times until the game (witcher 2) started. "due to our high popularity our servers are busy". understandable, guess many people are checking this out now.
- couldn't change to fullscreen. everytime i did it jumped back to the browser after 2 seconds.
- controls are ok, had no mentionable lags.

so, i am ok with that. if they can stabilize servers and make i feel more comfortable i'd totally like this concept on my ps3 / ps4. one big advantage: when i buy a game i can play instant. no need for downloads or shipping.

i hope for sony they can use gaikai as a selling point and turn some profit out of it. could be a good step to use it for the demos. than, later on, maybe one buys a retail game and gets a code for gaikai to stream it. maybe i will be able to send in my ps3 library to enable those games on gaikai.

and for all the people who think it is a bad decision to buy other companies when the whole company isn't profitable: i don't think they paid too much, i.e. they paid a price which is "the market price" for that company. this purchase increases the loss, yes. but markets do analyse where the loss comes from, and this is an investment. everyone's talking about mobile devices and streaming, and this will be the future technology. so better buy gaikai now when the hype hasn't begun yet. nice to see that sony has done this step into the future.

Remember, this is fairly new, so I don't expect it to be 100% It also depends on how good your PC is too I'm sure. Hope it's opitional for those who can handle it on the PS4.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
DirtyP2002 said:
ethomaz said:

okay.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Train wreck said:
Flanneryaug said:
Icy-Zone said:
Flanneryaug said:
I think this is a pretty bad decision by Sony. A company that lost 6 billion last year shouldn't be spending 380 million on unnecessary tech.

I heard it was 1.2 billion. These are some comments from n4g members. Apparently sony's still ballin'.

Mikhail  +   2h ago

Deficit in the balance sheet is different from net loss in the income statement. Just google those to know the difference

LNDCalling  +   1h ago

For a company purported by many to be in financial difficulty they aren't half flashing the cash!

In 2012:-

USD 1,000,000,000 (Invested in camera image sensor production)
USD 623,000,000 (Invested in Olympus)
USD 380,000,000 (To acquire Gaikai)
USD 2,200,000,000 (EMI - as 50/50 JV assume circa USD1bn from Sony)
USD ??? (Sony and Panasonic OLED TV joint venture)

And late 2011:-

USD 1,470,000,000 (To acquire Ericsson)

And these are just a few of their recent investments / acquisitions.

Back on topic, I think this is a good move in all sorts of ways especially if implemented correctly and one that could send shockwaves through the industry depending what they do with it… interesting times!

They lost 1.2 billion in the last financial quarter, but about 6 billion in the last financial year. Also, all of your data shows why Sony is in its current financial situation. I'm not saying that cloud gaming won't ever be a good investment, but it isn't one right now.

Wrong.  The loss for SCE was from March 2011 to March 2012.

Huh? I was talking about Sony overall, not just SCE. Also they did lose 6 billion last financial year, look it up.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

DirtyP2002 said:
I can't believe they just spent 400 million USD for a company when they just had a 1.2 billion loss last year.

I just want to see how Sony will use this fo their business. They need to make sure that they are not killing their own software sales.

It is a risky move.

Guess you didn't hear about Sony spending 2.2 billion acquiring some music recently? They are now the largest because of it if I remember.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Alan Wake demo on PS3/PS4/Vita? Thats weird, i must say...

Consider this a huge blow for DirectX. I don't believe Gaikai will support this anymore. Only OnLive en Microsoft are still left to support DirectX. Consider Windows not as dominant as it used to be due to Apple and Google. Game development will benefit from en open standard for any device. Now it'll really boil down to exclusives.