By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii has much more third party interesting games than any other for me

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mnementh said:

I'm not sure about the consoles mentioned, but I'm pretty sure the percentage of shovelware on Wii is around the same as the percentage of shovelware on PS2.

I cannot take this seriously. PS2 development yielded many great PS2 games which harnessed the Dual Shock (Which really isnt a stretch when N64 analog changed the way we game on a gamerpad). The majority of third party titles on the Wii were commercial failures, to the point where people had to question whether devs were having a hard time with the tech or they just didn't care about anything but to make a quick buck. They treated the gimmick commercialization as a cheap whore essentially.

Until today, if I look for PS2-games I find a mass of crap, which contains some gems. It's easier to sort now, because the gems are better known at this point. Bu that doesn't change the fact, that there is a sea of shovelware for PS2.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mnementh said:

I'm not sure about the consoles mentioned, but I'm pretty sure the percentage of shovelware on Wii is around the same as the percentage of shovelware on PS2.

I cannot take this seriously. PS2 development yielded many great PS2 games which harnessed the Dual Shock (Which really isnt a stretch when N64 analog changed the way we game on a gamerpad). The majority of third party titles on the Wii were commercial failures, to the point where people had to question whether devs were having a hard time with the tech or they just didn't care about anything but to make a quick buck. They treated the gimmick commercialization as a cheap whore essentially.

Until today, if I look for PS2-games I find a mass of crap, which contains some gems. It's easier to sort now, because the gems are better known at this point. Bu that doesn't change the fact, that there is a sea of shovelware for PS2.

Obviously the PS2 commercially had shovelware (which is why the two are always compared asking" which is worse?"), but again it also had double the amount of games the Wii had give or take. I am sure if you look the percentage of the whole library with low scores the Wii will have a larger pecentage of shovelware than the PS2. The PS2 was a casual and core success everyone loved it equally and people continued to buy PS2's even afters spotlight was yielded to the PS3. The Wii was majorly a casual success and thats a tough pill to swallow for a lot of Nintendo fans, but to argue that is hurting anyones argument. Third parties were not hailed by the core on the level of the PS2. It would hurt to list Wii's highest rated games above 70 and the and the vs the PS2's. Even quite a few multiplats scored lowest on the Wii because publishers took the plunge and bombed trying to harness capabilities  of the new controls.

Significant_leap said:
I cant believe people didnt like Red steel 2, it is an amazing game, the first FP beat em up ever and a great game overall...The Conduit is good also, No more heroes 2 has an amazing story and aesthetics, Arc rise fantasia is the best jrpg this gen, Grand slam tennis is a great tennis game, Tales for Wii is also good....

i could go on but im very lazy :)
the Wii has very nice exclusives, just not mainstream ones that are advertised as the second coming of Christ...which is pretty much the only thing HD consoles had, advertising and flashy graphics...really sad that has become the standard this gen...

Condemned and Zeno Clash come to my mind that did this before Red Steel 2.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Obviously the PS2 commercially had shovelware (which is why the two are always compared asking" which is worse?"), but again it also had double the amount of games the Wii had give or take. I am sure if you look the percentage of the whole library with low scores the Wii will have a larger pecentage of shovelware than the PS2. The PS2 was a casual and core success everyone loved it equally and people continued to buy PS2's even afters spotlight was yielded to the PS3. The Wii was majorly a casual success and thats a tough pill to swallow for a lot of Nintendo fans, but to argue that is hurting anyones argument. Third parties were not hailed by the core on the level of the PS2. It would hurt to list Wii's highest rated games above 70 and the and the vs the PS2's. Even quite a few multiplats scored lowest on the Wii because publishers took the plunge and bombed trying to harness capabilities  of the new controls.

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to gather facts for this.

One point: casual game != shovelware. The successful casual games on the Wii (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance) are far from being shovelware. They are polished games, that attract a different sort of gamer. What I was talking about, is the sea of low quality productions for the PS2. But most of them would be classified as core. The well known casual experiences on the PS2 (Buzz, Singstar, Dance Dance Revolution, Eyetoy) are also no shovelware (while casual shovelware may exist too). So I was talking about low quality games (and this I mean with shovelware). The classification into core vs. casual-games is far too subjective, to base anything on it. Sure, most people agree, that Final Fantasy and Zelda are core-games, while Singstar and Wii Fit are casual games. But the borders are very blurred on this and change from person to person.

You also talk about review-scores. You are right about the multiplats, many 3rd-party did a crappy job in supporting the Wii. But didn't the Wii had some high-rated first-party-games? But even here, review-scores are very subjective. Quality is a different thing. How many people regret buying a game would be an indicator of quality. I doubt many people regret  buying Just Dance. I suspect the buyers of this game have fun with it - and that's what a game is created for.

So, yes, I agree the Wii is a console strongly focusing on casual-experiences. I also think, that the amount of casual games is bigger than on PS2, although it's hard to classify. (What category is Mario Kart?) But I don't think the Wii really had a higher percentage of crap-games, than the PS2 had. And how hard is it to find the gems? Actually, the sales indicate, that most people buyed good games like Sports Resort and Just Dance. Yes, they are casual, and probably weren't that expensive. But they do good what they intend to do. Even if you don't like this sort of game. I also don't like dance games and I'm irritated about the success of Just Dance, but I can admit it's a good game. I also hate Jump&Runs, but I can admit Mario Galaxy is a good one, although I would never buy it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Barozi
oops, so true...how could i forgot Condemmned, i liked that game very much...my bad
both great games :)

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Someone who owns Red Steel 2 AND No More Heroes 2 now that's rare lol

I own both. Does that make me special *PLEASE*

Araknie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Araknie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Araknie said:
Explanations for all, read it or you do it on purpose.

The title explains the part of "for me".
Now at the beginning of the post i say the games i own, so you can compare how many third parties are there in front of the first, but i will do math for you.

10 first party titles: SSBB, Metroid Prime 3, NSMBWii, DKCR, MKWii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, SMG2, Disaster, Xenoblade Chronicles. (yes Nintendo owns Monolith)
9 third party titles: NMH2, Boom Blox, Red Steel 2, Tales of Symphonia 2, Monster Hunter Tri-, Sonic Colours, Darkside Chronicles, Unlimited Cruise 2, Pandora's Tower.

So you see that in my experience Wii was perfectly balanced, stop saying that the list has mostly 1st party because isn't true. You can't really argue with fatcs.

So, this only proves that many of the hatred has come without reading the initial post.

The majority of those games are not third party man, hate to break it to you. You know what third party means? 

Yes, a third party, is a company without a contract of exclusive for doing their games only on that consoles ever, every game they do.

Suda51 is third party, EA is third party, Ubisoft is third, Namco-Bandai is third party, Capcom is third party, SEGA is third party, Ganbarion is under Namco-Bandai so third party.

All the games i said were third are, you know a thing called balance and reading posts. 

I don't have anything to say more, this is so clear, have about it.

Ok now that were over that, you do know that the HD consoles are drowning in hot third party titles compared to the Wii? If you were to compare the two it wouldn't be fair. 80% of the Wii's third party is crap.

That's why i said exclusives in the first post, i can totally agree with multiplatform but XBox360 and PS3 with large Third Party exclusives that make a person have 1:0,9 rate from 1st to 3rd parties in a personal collection? You know that's not even near it.

Multiplatforms sells but exclusives are good games, i'm a gamer that's what i'm interested with.

Also the PS2 had like the same rate of crap but it selled and anybody knows that has many many good games also because they are exclusives. Not comparing the Wii to the PS2, i totally agree that PS2 has more.

It's only a statement with PS3, 360 and Wii, Home Consoles that are out today. The more a consoles has good games, triple that for crap games. The Wii is only an example, the same was on PS2, PS1, SNES and NES. It's totally normal.

Are trying to make the point that multiple platform games are not good games?

Also the wii is nothing like the PS2, PS1  SNES etc. Although it is true that the more games you have the more shovelware you are going to find, the difference is the above platforms also have a ton classic 3rd party games which critics praised to the heaven and still have a lasting legacy. By any systems standards, your list of 3rd party games for the wii is poor, most of the 3rd titles mention recieved good but far from amazing reviews. Understandably you might love them, but the general consesus is against you.

The ps2 had games like FFX, Okami, Metal Gear solid 3, Tekken Tag tournanment, Grand theft auto 3, Devil May Cry...... your 3rd party list is not comparable. Has a 3rd party wii game ever scored above 90 on metacritic? I have a wii and I thought the the 3rd efforts were poor, games like Mad world and no more heroes were supposed to  entice me but they were terribly stale where gameplay is concerned. Okami and RE4 were the only 3rd part titles don't regret buying (never bought Red steel 2).

Can somene please help me cross of the 1st and 2nd party games of my Wii games list?

Title Genre Publisher Developer
Band Hero Music Activision Vicarious Visions
Battalion Wars 2 Action; Strategy Nintendo Kuju Ent.
Big Beach Sports Sports THQ HB Studios Multimedia
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree Party; Puzzle Nintendo Nintendo
The BIGS 2 Sports 2K Sports Blue Castle Games
de Blob Puzzle THQ Blue Tongue Software
Bully: Scholarship Edition Action; Sandbox Rockstar Games Rockstar Vancouver
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare FPS Activision Treyarch
Call of Duty World at War FPS Activision Treyarch
Call of Duty: Black Ops FPS Activision Treyarch
The Conduit FPS Sega of America High Voltage Software
The Conduit 2 FPS Sega of America High Voltage Software
Cursed Mountain Action Deep Silver Deep Silver
Dancing Stage Hottest Party 2 Music Konami Digital Entertainment Konami
Dawn of Discovery Simulation; Strategy Ubisoft Keen Games
Dead Space: Extraction Action Electronic Arts Visceral Games
Deadly Creatures Action THQ Rainbow Studios
Disaster: Day of Crisis Action N/A Monolith Software
DJ Hero Music Activision FreeStyleGames
Donkey Kong Country Returns Platformer Nintendo of Europe Retro Studios
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 Fighting Atari Spike
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo Fighting Namco Bandai Media.Vision
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter Action/Adventure THQ To Be Announced
Endless Ocean Action/Adventure; Simulation Nintendo Arika
Endless Ocean: Blue World Simulator Nintendo Arika
Excite Truck Racing Nintendo Nintendo
F1 2009 Racing Codemasters Codemasters
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers RPG Square Enix Square Enix
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn RPG Nintendo Intelligent Systems
Ghostbusters The Video Game Action Atari Red Fly Studios
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition Action Electronic Arts EA Games
GoldenEye 007 Action Activision Eurocom Entertainment
Guitar Hero 5 Music Activision Vicarious Visions
Guitar Hero Greatest Hits Music Activision Beenox
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Music RedOctane Harmonix
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith Music Activision Vicarious Visions
Guitar Hero: Metallica Music Activision Vicarious Visions
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Music Activision Vicarious Visions
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Action/Adventure Electronic Arts EA Games
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Action/Adventure Electronic Arts EA Games
Heatseeker Flight Simulation; Shooter; Simulator Codemasters Transmission Games
The House Of The Dead 2 & 3 Return Action; Shooter Sega of America SEGA
The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Action Sega of America Headstrong Games
Impossible Mission Action N/A System 3
Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings Action/Adventure LucasArts Artificial Mind And Move (A2M)
Ju-On The Grudge Adventure XSEED Games To Be Announced
Just Dance Music Ubisoft Ubisoft
The Last Story RPG N/A Mistwalker
The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword Action/Adventure Nintendo Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Action/Adventure; RPG Nintendo Nintendo
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues Action/Adventure LucasArts Travellers Tales
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures Action/Adventure LucasArts Travellers Tales
LEGO Rock Band Music Warner Bros Interactive Travellers Tales
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga Action/Adventure LucasArts Travellers Tales
MadWorld Action/Adventure Sega of America PlatinumGames Inc.
Manhunt 2 Action Rockstar Games Rockstar Toronto
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Party; Sports Sega of America SEGA
Mario Kart Wii Racing Nintendo Nintendo
Mario Strikers Charged Sports Nintendo Next Level Games
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption FPS Nintendo Retro Studios
Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition Action; Compilation; FPS; Shooter Nintendo Retro Studios
Metroid: Other M Action Nintendo Nintendo
Monopoly Entertainment Electronic Arts EA Games
Monster Hunter Tri Action Capcom Capcom
New Super Mario Bros. Wii Action; Platformer Nintendo Nintendo
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams Action/Adventure Sega of America SEGA
No More Heroes Action; Action/Adventure Ubisoft Grasshopper Manufacture
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle Action Ubisoft Grasshopper Manufacture
Obscure II Action/Adventure; Survival Horror Playlogic Hydravision
Okami Action/Adventure Capcom Clover Studio
Pandora's Tower RPG Nintendo Ganbarian
Petz: Monkey Madness Entertainment; Virtual Pet Ubisoft Ubisoft
Pikmin Strategy Nintendo Nintendo
Pikmin 2 Strategy N/A Nintendo
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Action Ubisoft Ubisoft
Punch-Out!! Fighting Nintendo Nintendo
Red Steel Fighting; FPS Ubi Soft Ubi Soft
Red Steel 2 Fighting; FPS Ubisoft Ubisoft
Resident Evil 4 Action; Action/Adventure; Survival Horror Capcom Capcom
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles Action/Adventure Capcom Capcom
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles Action/Adventure; Shooter; Survival Horror Capcom Capcom
Rock Band: The Beatles Music Electronic Arts Harmonix
Scarface: The World is Yours Action; Sandbox Vivendi Games Radical Entertainment
Shaun White Snowboarding Sports Ubisoft Ubisoft
Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage Sports Ubisoft Ubisoft
Sonic and the Black Knight Action Sega of America Sonic Team
Sonic and the Secret Rings Action; Platformer Sega of America SEGA
Sonic Colors Action/Adventure Sega of America SEGA
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Hack & Slash LucasArts Krome Studios
Super Mario All-Stars: 25th Anniversary Edition Platformer Nintendo Nintendo
Super Mario Galaxy Action; Action/Adventure; Platformer Nintendo Nintendo
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Action; Platformer Nintendo Nintendo
Super Paper Mario Action; Platformer Nintendo Intelligent Systems
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Action; Fighting Nintendo Nintendo
Table Tennis Sports Rockstar Games Rockstar Leeds
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Fighting Capcom Capcom
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up Action Ubisoft Ubisoft
TNA Impact Fighting; Sports; Wrestling Midway Midway LA Paradox Development
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Sports Activision Toys for Bob
Truth or Lies Party THQ THQ
Virtua Tennis 2009 Sports Sega of America SEGA
Wii Fit Entertainment; Sports Nintendo Nintendo
Wii Play Entertainment; Party; Sports Nintendo Nintendo
Wii Sports Party; Sports Nintendo Nintendo
Wii Sports Resort: MotionPlus Bundle   Nintendo Nintendo
WWE All Stars Fighting THQ THQ
Xenoblade Chronicles Action Nintendo Nintendo
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Adventure; Puzzle Capcom Capcom

Mnementh said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to gather facts for this.

One point: casual game != shovelware. The successful casual games on the Wii (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance) are far from being shovelware. They are polished games, that attract a different sort of gamer. What I was talking about, is the sea of low quality productions for the PS2. But most of them would be classified as core. The well known casual experiences on the PS2 (Buzz, Singstar, Dance Dance Revolution, Eyetoy) are also no shovelware (while casual shovelware may exist too). So I was talking about low quality games (and this I mean with shovelware). The classification into core vs. casual-games is far too subjective, to base anything on it. Sure, most people agree, that Final Fantasy and Zelda are core-games, while Singstar and Wii Fit are casual games. But the borders are very blurred on this and change from person to person.

You also talk about review-scores. You are right about the multiplats, many 3rd-party did a crappy job in supporting the Wii. But didn't the Wii had some high-rated first-party-games? But even here, review-scores are very subjective. Quality is a different thing. How many people regret buying a game would be an indicator of quality. I doubt many people regret  buying Just Dance. I suspect the buyers of this game have fun with it - and that's what a game is created for.

So, yes, I agree the Wii is a console strongly focusing on casual-experiences. I also think, that the amount of casual games is bigger than on PS2, although it's hard to classify. (What category is Mario Kart?) But I don't think the Wii really had a higher percentage of crap-games, than the PS2 had. And how hard is it to find the gems? Actually, the sales indicate, that most people buyed good games like Sports Resort and Just Dance. Yes, they are casual, and probably weren't that expensive. But they do good what they intend to do. Even if you don't like this sort of game. I also don't like dance games and I'm irritated about the success of Just Dance, but I can admit it's a good game. I also hate Jump&Runs, but I can admit Mario Galaxy is a good one, although I would never buy it.

Pick a genre where PS2 had gems, they were in nearly all of them, first, second or third party. Doesn't matter. The amount of hot third party titles on the PS2 was astonishing. Heaps of JRPG's, Action-Adventure games, Platformers, Hack N Slash, Sand Box games, Sports, Party games and more. Also remember that Motion cam gaming started on the PS2. It was just commercial domination. The reason the few great games the Wii has can barely be seen is because of they are surrounded by crap at Gamestop. Again it begs to question whether developers and publisher had a problem with the motion controls or whether they just wanted a quick buck and thought casuals wouldnt notice the difference. If the Wii had a strong core backing they wouldnt need to end the console now at five years after the profit they made from the casuals. 

The PS2 sold 1.51 billion games during its time.

The Wii sold 716.09 (Probably a bit more now, but not much). 

Yeah...thats nearly double the amount of games the Wii sold.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pick a genre where PS2 had gems, they were in nearly all of them, first, second or third party. Doesn't matter. The amount of hot third party titles on the PS2 was astonishing. Heaps of JRPG's, Action-Adventure games, Platformers, Hack N Slash, Sand Box games, Sports, Party games and more. Also remember that Motion cam gaming started on the PS2. It was just commercial domination. The reason the few great games the Wii has can barely be seen is because of they are surrounded by crap at Gamestop. Again it begs to question whether developers and publisher had a problem with the motion controls or whether they just wanted a quick buck and thought casuals wouldnt notice the difference. If the Wii had a strong core backing they wouldnt need to end the console now at five years after the profit they made from the casuals.

The PS2 sold 1.51 billion games during its time.

The Wii sold 716.09 (Probably a bit more now, but not much).

Yeah...thats nearly double the amount of games the Wii sold.

I never doubted the PS2 has much gems (some of them I own), as you also admitted that the Wii has gems. But if I look through the PS2-shelf at Gamestop (I think this is the only game-shop in my city that has PS2-games now), I have much crap for choice. I forgot most titles as I saw them, but Eternal Quest, God Hand, stuff like that. For PS2 exists much of this crap. I somehow doubt, the crap-percentage on PS2 is much lower (if even), than on Wii.