By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Seems Mistwalker is going to be back on board for the Wii U

YukanaSenix said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:
I'd rather want them to make a game for the next gen PS4/nextbox consoles tho :/

He refuses to work for Sony, so you can kiss that fantasy goodbye. Though it funny how people can show so much love and favoritism for something that doesn't even exist yet. Nintendo hate is something else.

He has far to much power in the business cause he obviously doesn't need to SELL games.
The Last Story,LO and BD bombed...The only console where he really could SELL stuff would be on a Sony Console and that is a fact.

And there won't be a LO2 or anything else cause he hates Microsoft.
Those 2 games were made cause M$ helped them out with money while Mistwalker was still new.They had a contract for 2 games and the second they were done they did RUN for their lives....and made a Nintendo DS game i think*sigh*

What are you talking about? All of those games met their set sells expectations and then some.

He refuses to work for Sony. That will not change. Its not a matter of opinion. There is nothing to argue about.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

If that happened, then the best JRPG of the past decade, Xenoblade, would be nothing like it is now. It'd be shorter, smaller, and generall less-fun, simply so it could look a little better. I'd rather have my 100-hour story with 450 sidequests, open areas and stunning scenery, than a 20-hour corridor crawler which looks good like FFXIII...

So the least important thing in huge RPG's is most certainly the graphics. It's why FFVII is still loved, whilst FFXIII is not. 

Why would it be shorter?

If it becomes the jrpg system of choice for the next 5 to 6 years as this article and some of the posts I read in some of the other forums here yesterday seemed to think it could, I'll have to quit knocking it and give it a try.

darkknightkryta said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:
I'd rather want them to make a game for the next gen PS4/nextbox consoles tho :/

He refuses to work for Sony, so you can kiss that fantasy goodbye. Though it funny how people can show so much love and favoritism for something that doesn't even exist yet. Nintendo hate is something else.

I agree with him.  I mean it won't be nearly as bad as wii to ps3, but when you have RPGs with these huge stories and lore, graphics play an important part.  I mean; wouldn't you want the best possible graphics when watching frequent and long cutscenes? Or traveling around the world and towns?

the BEST rpgs didn't rely on graphics fyi. If we had that kind of mindset people wouldn't be playing 20+ yo classic rpgs.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

If they can start off the WiiU early with JRPG's from Mistwalker and Monolith it won't take long before I take the plunge.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
darkknightkryta said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:

I agree with him.  I mean it won't be nearly as bad as wii to ps3, but when you have RPGs with these huge stories and lore, graphics play an important part.  I mean; wouldn't you want the best possible graphics when watching frequent and long cutscenes? Or traveling around the world and towns?

the BEST rpgs didn't rely on graphics fyi. If we had that kind of mindset people wouldn't be playing 20+ yo classic rpgs.

Yes they did.  RPGs generally had the best graphics at the time.

Conegamer said:
darkknightkryta said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:

If that happened, then the best JRPG of the past decade, Xenoblade, would be nothing like it is now. It'd be shorter, smaller, and generall less-fun, simply so it could look a little better. I'd rather have my 100-hour story with 450 sidequests, open areas and stunning scenery, than a 20-hour corridor crawler which looks good like FFXIII...

So the least important thing in huge RPG's is most certainly the graphics. It's why FFVII is still loved, whilst FFXIII is not. 

that's true that the most important isn't the graphics, but it's also true that it could have looked better without any of the issues you mentioned.  It'd be just like playing Xenoblade in Dolphin which doesn't magically make the story shorter somehow.  Going for slightly less amazing graphics and more content is a design philosophy, it isn't something dictated by the console that you choose to develop on.  If SE had decided to make FFXIII on the Wii it'd look slightly worse and still have all those issues you mention.  

Torillian said:
Conegamer said:
darkknightkryta said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:

that's true that the most important isn't the graphics, but it's also true that it could have looked better without any of the issues you mentioned.  It'd be just like playing Xenoblade in Dolphin which doesn't magically make the story shorter somehow.  Going for slightly less amazing graphics and more content is a design philosophy, it isn't something dictated by the console that you choose to develop on.  If SE had decided to make FFXIII on the Wii it'd look slightly worse and still have all those issues you mention.  

Very true, but that's upscaled rather than being built around the HD Hardware, hence it still looks very ropey in places. 

Both Monolith and Mistwalker said the game would only be possible on the Wii because of the finite budget, and many things would have been missing from Xenoblade had Nintendo not been there to give them the opportunity to finish it. 

I'm not denying that FFXIII would probably have been the same game, but if Monolith wished to make Xenoblade exactly as it is on the HD consoles, they'd need a much larger budget, so it would only be feasible on the Wii.

I'll try and find sources.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Very true, but that's upscaled rather than being built around the HD Hardware, hence it still looks very ropey in places. 

Both Monolith and Mistwalker said the game would only be possible on the Wii because of the finite budget, and many things would have been missing from Xenoblade had Nintendo not been there to give them the opportunity to finish it. 

I'm not denying that FFXIII would probably have been the same game, but if Monolith wished to make Xenoblade exactly as it is on the HD consoles, they'd need a much larger budget, so it would only be feasible on the Wii.

I'll try and find sources.

But there is nothing specifically more expensive about developing on HD consoles.  Development usually gets expensive if you go for higher fidelity art but there isn't anything that magically means drawing the same models in Wii is cheaper than they'd be to make on 360 or PS3, it's just that developers usually shoot significantly higher because they can, but there's nothing that requires it.

darkknightkryta said:
theARTIST0017 said:
darkknightkryta said:
lilbroex said:
Turkish said:

Yes they did.  RPGs generally had the best graphics at the time.

Not really, only Squaresoft RPGs really pushed the graphical limits of platforms.

The Pokemon RPGs  don't push graphics at all

Dragon Quest pre-VIII didn't either (VII was probably the worst looking high profile PSX games)

Tales doesn't really (though Symphonia, minus the overworld, looked pretty good for a GC game)

The first Wild Arms was very basic looking, even by PSX standards

Even those RPGs which had fantastic graphics for their platform (Chrono Trigger, FFXII, etc), didn't rely on them.  To say so is completely overlooking the gameplay that made such games legendary.