By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New info on Wii U controllers. PRO controller pic inside!

Analog sticks beneath the buttons gives me crampy finger.

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:

I think it looks pretty badass. It is obviously inspired by the Xbox360 controller but that one has a great design. This will be great for multi platform games.

Here's hope it will come in different colors. Black / White / Red / Gold or something (That would match the colors of my Wii remotes )

Wait... do my eyes sense a USB port up there? Great stuff! 

It obivously has nothing to do with the360 controller exept in the minds of people who are dying to lable Nintendo as copying so that their preffered HD console won't look as bad now. The 360 controller is just a copy of others itself with the, primarily the Dreamcast.

Also the default coloration of the 360 controller isn't black as well as there being more differences in the design when looked at from other angles, so whoever made that gif is trying their hardest to make the associations. The clearest sign of this is that people refuse to even view the other probabilities as they know it would instantly shoot down their claim.

The Pro design is pretty much the Gamecube controller fused with the SNES

I like my controllers fat like the 360 so it is win. Sony better copy and make the PS4 controller nice and fat.

From what I have learned the position of the analog sticks has no affect on comfort. It is usually a complaint of biased whiners.

lilbroex said:
UncleScrooge said:

I think it looks pretty badass. It is obviously inspired by the Xbox360 controller but that one has a great design. This will be great for multi platform games.

Here's hope it will come in different colors. Black / White / Red / Gold or something (That would match the colors of my Wii remotes )

Wait... do my eyes sense a USB port up there? Great stuff! 

It obivously has nothing to do with the360 controller exept in the minds of people who are dying to lable Nintendo as copying so that their preffered HD console won't look as bad now. The 360 controller is just a copy of others itself with the, primarily the Dreamcast.

Also the default coloration of the 360 controller isn't black as well as there being more differences in the design when looked at from other angles, so whoever made that gif is trying their hardest to make the associations. The clearest sign of this is that people refuse to even view the other probabilities as they know it would instantly shoot down their claim.

The Pro design is pretty much the Gamecube controller fused with the SNES

By all means my prefered HD console will likely be the Wii U and all it needed was a Super Mario game to be shown. Come on It does look like a 360 controller with a new layout. I don't get these discussions, really. Controllers keep evolving and whenever one company finds a way to make it even more comfortable the others will try to mimick that. It's a good thing for the players. 

The modern controller design stems from the NES controller, which was later improved with the release of the SNES (and, thankfully, won over the Genesis controller design) so basically it's still Nintendo's design wich prevailed. I wouldn't even argue that. The Wii U Pro controller looks like the most comfortable controller ever designed, at least looking at the pictures. To get to this level of comfortability Nintendo obviously had to take some design cues from other more recent controllers and the 360 controller is the most comfortable one on the market right now (says a guy who sold his 360 because he sadly didn't like the exclusive games) but it has a terrible d-pad. Just like the Gamecube controller which was just as comfortable and had a terrible d-pad as well. The layout of the buttons on the Pro controller may look unfamiliar but it's actually a good thing for most games because it is the most natural position for your thumbs. I own a PS3 and I still prefer the analog sticks to be in this position. It's just more natural. 

- All modern controllers (besides the Wiimote) stem from the NES / SNES controller designs

- The PS Move controller was heavily influenced by the Wii remote

- The Xbox controller was an evolution / mix of the Playstation / SNES and Dreamcast controller and took big parts of its design from them

- The Wii U Pro controller mixes the 360 controller with a Gamecube Pad

There, I probably made thousands of people angry with a single post. I don't understand why people are getting so upset over it. This thing will likely be the best controller ever shipped. I'm happy they took some design cues from Microsoft instead of "doing their own thing" just for the sake of it. 

VGKing said:
zimbawawa said:
Sony prolly gonna mimic this :)

360 controller is the best this gen, so no suprises there.

Nope. Dualshock design is perfect.

Nope, the 360 controller is better.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Nintendo have a good track record so I wouldn't worry about it. Since when has Nintendo ever released an uncomfortable controller?

The Classic Controller comes to mind.

OMG NintendoPie! For the first time you say something I was about to say.

The Classic Controller was a flimsy PoS. The only thing that redeemed it was the Classic Controller Pro that came with Monster Hunter, but even then it's gaming junk.

greenmedic88 said:
Mummelmann said:
So after a generation of telling us that the HD consoles were stupid and would have to follow their lead to survive and that motion controls were the shizzle, they decide to announce a black 360 controller?!

It also comes in white!

Revolution! I'm one of those weird types who actually thought that the N64 pad was brilliant.

VGKing said:
NintendoPie said:

Seriously, there is no DualShock in there, at all.

For sure 360 influenced, though.

Dualshock has D-Pad and Face Buttons in parallel layout and so are its analog sticks. This is what they Wii U copied from the Dualshock.

This is what Turkish is trying to tell you.

You must be bonkers. The PS1 controller, from which we get the parallel layout for D-pad and face buttons you're talking about, was made as pure rip-off of the Super Nintendo controller.

lilbroex said:

The first dual shock didn't copy the N64's "design".  it had a copy of its features which the N64 controller made popular with its dynamic use. Those being analog control and rumble. The N64 wasn't the first to use analog control but it was the first to make it a standard of the system as well as rumble and its showed the benefits through intuitive use which is why Sony realeased a second controller with those features. The same with move and the Wii Mote. Nintendo showed what could be done with it then sony ripped off the concept.

The classic controller pro's look is just what is name says. Nintendo's "classic" designs put together  which predates the Xbox altogether. That design being the Gamecube and SNES. The current 360 controller is the shell design of the Dreamcast, with the gamecube controller layout and dualshock buttons/function.

Nobody can copy it, because its a rip off all around.

To my knowledge, this will be the first console to have a standard controller with a right analog stick above the main input buttons. The analog over the D-pad was first done by Nintendo.

+=

The 360 controller isn't really directly from the Dreamcast, the original XB controller was, then MS realised it was ridiculously uncomfortable and improved upon it twice with the second XB controller (which I thought was still uncomfortable, but useable) and then the X360 version.

There is no denying the X360 controller is clearly inspiring the general shape of the controller shell here, but there is nothing wrong with that in the same way that there was nothing wring with the SNES controller being the main inspiration for the original PS controller... or the GC controller in turn taking inspiration from the dual analogue.

My personal opinion is that if two of those shoulder buttons are digital, and the other two analogue triggers this is probably the pinnacle of what has become the standard 3D gaming controller. I think it is about time the other control stick has been moved to a more dominant position... when your thumb is out of it's comfort zone it's easier to press a button than use a control stick, so I would say this is finally a controller that is solely designed for gaming in 3 dimensions. The N64 design was Nintendo's attempt at mushing a 3D controller with a 2D. The Dual Shock was originally just a PS controller (which came from the SNES controller, which was for 2D games) but after the N64 came out they tacked on two sticks... the sticks were not given priority position, but did at least show that two sticks were better than one. Dreamcast indicated that the control stick needs priority over d-pad without resorting to multiple hand positions like N64, and GC/XB brought that into dual-stick realm.

So this is the ultimate 3D controller. It has the d-pad and button placement originally derived form the SNES, but finally moved out of the priority position. Shoulder buttons also from the SNES, and shoulder triggers derived from GC/XB/PS2 design. The control sticks are finally both in the priority position and the heads are from the nunchuck stick design (convex but with a single ridge, I think if pressed I would argue the GC's three ridges are my fave, but this is still better than concave or convex with no ridge). And of course the shell is from the X360 controller, which is arguably the most comfortable of these types of controllers (I haven't extensively used one, but I have held one and could tell at once it was a good design) Until I hold it I can't know for sure of course but assuming it is as comfortable at the X360 controller I really can't see anything wrong with the UPro (from now on we must all call it the UPro!) apart from my personal gripe about the control stick inset being circular (I like the 8 point compass method, probably due to being used to Nintendo controllers but it is nice to be able to easily find those 8 directions)

lilbroex said:
sergiodaly said:

Saturo Iwata has revealed during Nintendo’s pre-E3 press conference that Wii U has been created to provide “something that will help unite people rather than divide them – whether in same room or great distances apart.”

Discussing how the controller has changed,  Iwata showed off the new analogue sticks and the buttons, which have been moved to make the controller more comfortable. An added NFC reader/writer, was also shown, allowing users to place figures on the WiiU Gamepad or scan AR cards. We are also told that WiiU GamePad has a TV control button and can be used as a fully independent infrared TV remote.

One of the biggest announcements is that Nintendo will release a WiiU pro controller, which you can see pictured below. Looks a bit like a 360 controller eh?

Source

I bet you jumped to post this just make the claim that it looked like the 360 controller but no, it looks like the gamecube controller fused with the classic controller/snes controller.

The 360 controller is just a copy of Dreamcast controller with dual shock features added. The dualshock is known to be a concept copy of the N64 controller(rumble and analog controller) that was released because it was successful with Nintendo just as with move.

All of these designs  are just revisions of SEGA and Nintendo's previous designs. I mean there  is much more tweaking that can be done to those designs.

sorry... thats not my opinion... i was in a hurry and post the original news article from the source (copy, paste)... they made that final question... not me...

now IMO, for the overall aspect of it... yes it looks like a 360 controller... whats wrong with that? from a distance you might think that is a 360 controller, proving the similarity. we can only guess where is the inspiration come from when MS, Sony and Nintendo do their design, but human hands are what they are... there is not much they can do to fit and be ergonomic. there will always be similarities.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4