By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation is a bigger and more important invention than PC

PlayStation a bigger invention than PC?

Yeah 80 30.42%

No PS2 was bigger! 30 11.41%

SNES ftw! 152 57.79%

Total:262
zarx said:
Mnementh said:
IEATBABIES said:

This is most likely a flamebait post by the op, but Just because the PC has x amount of games, mods and graphical power, doesn't mean all of them will sell, which clearly shows. Records show 90% of gamers are on consoles and use handhelds. That's where 90% of the market is. Just look where most games sell on.

I would agree, that more gamers are on console-platforms than on PC (it's a feeling, not knowledge), but 90% is ridiculous. Have you data to back this claim?

I have real data

As you can see PC (digital+boxed+MMO+Browser bassed games) gets far more play time than consoles which is only arround ~20% of time spent gaming.

Have another

Actually you are wrong because yuo can play mmo games on consoles so we don't know what that data means

mmo games like MAG for example.....and bytheway SNES SUCKS!!!!

Around the Network
Riku148 said:

Actually you are wrong because yuo can play mmo games on consoles so we don't know what that data means

MAG is not an MMO tho...

There are a few MMOs on consoles but so far they have all flopped. Even taking those numbers away PC would still be ahead as shown by that last image you know with PC screens having 1.15b hours per week vs 323m for games on TV screens. Time spent favours PC by a country mile, and unique players PC is also ahead with 143m vs 105m.

Not to mention in most listed reigons PC retail+digital is arround the time spent on console games even without all the MMO and Web games that are both mostly played via PC.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

i know many more pc as console gamers here were i live in germany. i mean, almost everyone who has a console here is playing on pc as well but many who play on pc don't play on console. some of them only play facebook games or so but many play mmos or as example skyrim (i know much more pc skyrim players as i know console players)

and lol mmos on console, that is maybe 5% of all mmo playtime (which is a high estimate)

and that survey was made in countires where console gaming is very common, in many countires like china or so it would look even better for pc playtime.

Turkish said:
Player1x3 said:
Turkish said:
Player1x3 said:
crissindahouse said:

harharhar first of all you can bring the old poll results back and not stealing all our votes just because you didn't like  them verstanden?

I like how you just assume he can speak german just because hes turkish and thus must be some ghetto low-life living in west berlin and is unemployed school dropout ;D

You couldve ended your comment there, I find the 2nd part highly offensive.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, i was just pointing out the stereotype that's put on german turks

Keep your stereotypes to yourself, I dont even live in Germany, and even if I did live in Germany, I would not need you to point out a stereotype buddy.

Its not my stereotype, nor was it pointed at you. Christ, chil the fuck out

zarx said:
Riku148 said:

MAG is not an MMO tho...

There are a few MMOs on consoles but so far they have all flopped. Even taking those numbers away PC would still be ahead as shown by that last image you know with PC screens having 1.15b hours per week vs 323m for games on TV screens. Time spent favours PC by a country mile, and unique players PC is also ahead with 143m vs 105m.

Not to mention in most listed reigons PC retail+digital is arround the time spent on console games even without all the MMO and Web games that are both mostly played via PC.

You're mostly right, stuff like DCUO and Champions of Norrath never really took off.

Wasn't Final Fantasy XI on PS2 actually pretty successful though, especially as far as console MMO's go?  At least from the VGChartz figures, it seems to have sold quite decently. I assumed that's why Sony were so desperate to get FFXIV to the PS3 before they realised it was a pile of... well, you know.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
zarx said:
Riku148 said:

MAG is not an MMO tho...

You're mostly right, stuff like DCUO and Champions of Norrath never really took off.

Wasn't Final Fantasy XI on PS2 actually pretty successful though, especially as far as console MMO's go?  At least from the VGChartz figures, it seems to have sold quite decently. I assumed that's why Sony were so desperate to get FFXIV to the PS3 before they realised it was a pile of... well, you know.

FF XI has been by far the most successful console MMO, but even that PS2+X360+PC peaked at 500k active players which is tiny verses games like WoW with 10m+ active subs. Then there are games like RuneScape on PC with 8.5 million active players,  The Legend of Mir 3 with 750k simultanious players (Korea and China), Knight Online with 4.25+ active accounts, Guild Wars 2 million active users. And there are dozzens of MMOs on PC vs a handful of them on consoles.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
Mnementh said:
I would agree, that more gamers are on console-platforms than on PC (it's a feeling, not knowledge), but 90% is ridiculous. Have you data to back this claim?

I have real data

You have great data, thanks for sharing. I'm not surprised, that this data don't back the ridiculous statement (90% of gamers on console). But it had some surprises. Boxed+Download-PC-games get a similar amount of game-time as console. From the better sales of multiplat-titles on console I thought, console would also get more play-time. I also surprised, how big casual websites are. That is even more surprising, as you can count also social gaming, that mostly are casual games on websites. The players here pay not as much as console-gamers, but these games take a surprising big amount of play-time. Interesting data!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
zarx said:
Mnementh said:

I have real data

You have great data, thanks for sharing. I'm not surprised, that this data don't back the ridiculous statement (90% of gamers on console). But it had some surprises. Boxed+Download-PC-games get a similar amount of game-time as console. From the better sales of multiplat-titles on console I thought, console would also get more play-time. I also surprised, how big casual websites are. That is even more surprising, as you can count also social gaming, that mostly are casual games on websites. The players here pay not as much as console-gamers, but these games take a surprising big amount of play-time. Interesting data!

While big games berally sell less than consoles there are a lot of games on PC the sales are very spread out. A lot of PC games keep selling for 10 years, a lot of Blizzard games are like that you still see things Diablo and Starcraft battle chests pop on sales charts from time to time after so many years. Then you have things like Educational "games" etc. 

Social and web gamming has the advantage of being quick and easy to get into plus something people can do at work.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

The strength of the PC comes from a large number of different factors, I can name a few of them: it's customizable and it's a work tool, so it can cater for totally hardcore and totally casual gamers and all the gradations in between. Having a continuous, not by discrete steps, evolution, it came to offer BC spanning more than two generations, this further enlarges its market to wide shades of retrogamers. No royalties to HW producers make prices drop down lower with time and launch prices be lower too, so it becomes the cheapest choice for people that would need a PC anyway.
The downside are possible SW, drivers and HW conflicts and incompatibilities, but they are less serious and difficult to solve than in the past.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

crissindahouse said:

i know many more pc as console gamers here were i live in germany. i mean, almost everyone who has a console here is playing on pc as well but many who play on pc don't play on console. some of them only play facebook games or so but many play mmos or as example skyrim (i know much more pc skyrim players as i know console players)

and lol mmos on console, that is maybe 5% of all mmo playtime (which is a high estimate)

and that survey was made in countires where console gaming is very common, in many countires like china or so it would look even better for pc playtime.

Germany is a huge exception among the biggest gaming markets (China excluded).
Every other West European market, USA or Japan favors consoles by far, whereas here the PC is as strong as Wii, PS3 and 360 combined.