By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Baldur's Gate for Wii U, bad Nintendo experience to blame

RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

" If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work "

Sorry? What? Since when? And for your information, they have released it on steam and gog.com. On gog.com it has a rating of 4.5/5 from over 1000 users. I found 3 reviews on metacritic, all 8/10 or over. There is no metric by which you could say this is not a 'good' or 'well received' game, apart from a made up one. (like the one you just made up.)

I cannot believe you are arguing in defense of the 6000 sale limit. I really cannot.  

You are trying to rationalise a multinational company such as Nintendo, with billions upon billions of dollars in capital, refusing to give a small third party a single cent from their video game release, because it sold less then 6000 units on their service.

"Oh, your game sold only 2000 units? Oh, your game sold only 5999 units? Whatever, we are not giving you a cent of that money for the game you developed and released on our platform." Talk about a healthy relationship with third parties!

I recognize your quality control argument, it is the only believable defense that anyone could conjure up for this horrible business practice. How is an arbitrary limit on the units a company has to sell a quarantee of quality? 

Let me ask you, how do other donwload services manage quality control without withholding money from developers? That's right, they use a better system to determine the quality of the game. Steam and gog.com, hell even PSN and xbla seem to manage it, why hasn't Nintendo thought of a proper way of doing it? They're definitely not short on cash and they could hire whoever they want. It's plain incompetence, is what it is.

Not being able to sell 6,000 units of a supposed quality title is plain incompetence and arguing anything other than that is a sure sign that somebody has a clear agenda against Nintendo in general and the Wii in particular. It isn't a high number. It's not an insurmountable threshold by any means. It's a number you can fly by within days of release. The fault in this case lies completely with the developer.

6,000 units. Think about it. They couldn't even manage to sell 6,000 units.

Why does a company have to sell 6000 units to make a penny of their money back? Why? 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Mad55 said:
pezus said:
Mad55 said:
Its not Nintendo's fault you couldnt sell 6,000 units lol. Market yur game better and he knew all this before he started development why bitch now.

It's Nintendo's fault that they had to sell 6k units though

Lol i can't tell if your serious or not Pezus....ok you are I believe. I just think if your game couldn't sell even that many then its your fault mostly. Even if nintendo did something where they give the dev and publisher half the revenue in sale until it reaches a certain milestone this developer couldn not have broken even at all with less than 6,000 units sold im guessing. 

Well it was probably cheap to port over. Keep in mind that this barrier (which really shouldn't be there) is not the only thing they complained about.

Yes the 40 mb limit is a joke and he has the right to be mad about that, but not working with a console maker ever again for those things doesn't sound all that right to me. I agree and disagree I guess because if it happened to me I guess i would be mad as well, but more at myself honestly. 

Lest we forget the turnover made here- 6,000 unit limit at £7 each is £42,000.

So, the total income is less than £42k for the game. Much less. Let's say £25k.

Whose fault is it if you make a 'great title' and you're only making £25k, before salaries, Nintendo's cut, taxes, dev kits, advertisement (or lack thereof) etc.?

The company was never going to see a penny from the game with that attitude. If you can't make £40k turnover on your product, your business as a whole is doing something SERIOUSLY wrong, no?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

They must have known that Nintendo demanded 6000 copies sold, they must have known about the 40MB limit, they must have known Wiiware doesn't sell as much as PSN and XBLA so they really should stop bitching about it

Im calling bullshit on this. Baldur's Gate would easily break 6000 units. Seems like laziness.

Im also telling people who're saying "nothing of value was lost" when talking about BG, that you're horrible people.

Around the Network
jlrx said:
Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:
richardhutnik said:

I am not going to praise the whole 6000 unit limit, but I will ask this, what are the rules for XBLA and PSN? Are there limits, and do you know them, does Wii Ware take a lower precentage of a sale once past the limit compared to others? 

As for why Nintendo hasn't done this or that, the past is the past and we all know they kind of blew chunks at online features previously, but relating this to the Wii U is what the topic claimed and we don't know exactly what the deal is yet, or do we?

I'm assuming that gog and steam do not have the same limits because the game is already available for those platforms, and the guy, who is obviously quite outspoken about this, did not call them out at all (the gog.com version only received 1044 ratings, and you dont even have to own the game to rate it, the steam version straight up has NO user ratings.) I know that most other digital distribution services on pc don't have this limit as they get very low traffic and there are tons of games that receive sub 6000 unit sales on them (direct2drive, gamersgate, greenmangaming etc). I assume xbla does not have the same restrictions as he said they are considering releasing mdk2 on xbla after they're done with Baldur's Gate, although that's of course not concrete. I don't think it happens on PSN because there are also many, many niche titles and 'minis' that recieve very little attention on there (games with less than 10 user ratings etc), although I don't have any solid evidence that it does not happen, and now I'm actually interested I have emailed a few services to clarify! Should be interesting! 

Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

" If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work "

Sorry? What? Since when? And for your information, they have released it on steam and gog.com. On gog.com it has a rating of 4.5/5 from over 1000 users. I found 3 reviews on metacritic, all 8/10 or over. There is no metric by which you could say this is not a 'good' or 'well received' game, apart from a made up one. (like the one you just made up.)

I cannot believe you are arguing in defense of the 6000 sale limit. I really cannot.  

You are trying to rationalise a multinational company such as Nintendo, with billions upon billions of dollars in capital, refusing to give a small third party a single cent from their video game release, because it sold less then 6000 units on their service.

"Oh, your game sold only 2000 units? Oh, your game sold only 5999 units? Whatever, we are not giving you a cent of that money for the game you developed and released on our platform." Talk about a healthy relationship with third parties!

I recognize your quality control argument, it is the only believable defense that anyone could conjure up for this horrible business practice. How is an arbitrary limit on the units a company has to sell a quarantee of quality? 

Let me ask you, how do other donwload services manage quality control without withholding money from developers? That's right, they use a better system to determine the quality of the game. Steam and gog.com, hell even PSN and xbla seem to manage it, why hasn't Nintendo thought of a proper way of doing it? They're definitely not short on cash and they could hire whoever they want. It's plain incompetence, is what it is.

Not being able to sell 6,000 units of a supposed quality title is plain incompetence and arguing anything other than that is a sure sign that somebody has a clear agenda against Nintendo in general and the Wii in particular. It isn't a high number. It's not an insurmountable threshold by any means. It's a number you can fly by within days of release. The fault in this case lies completely with the developer.

6,000 units. Think about it. They couldn't even manage to sell 6,000 units.

Why does a company have to sell 6000 units to make a penny of their money back? Why? 

For one, because it's going to cost Nintendo money just to set up the game on their servers and host it there.

For two, likely to prevent crap like this very situation from happening - to give devs a little incentive to actually try. Nobody wants their service full of bloatware and bullshit.

SW-5120-1900-6153

It's funny how people call this bitching when the guy simply answered why they're not releasing BG on Wii U. He could have ignored the question or lied about it but instead he told the truth. What's there to complain about telling the truth? You may not agree with what the guy's saying but I'd say it's still pretty far from 'bitching'.

Zkuq said:
It's funny how people call this bitching when the guy simply answered why they're not releasing BG on Wii U. He could have ignored the question or lied about it but instead he told the truth. What's there to complain about telling the truth? You may not agree with what the guy's saying but I'd say it's still pretty far from 'bitching'.

No, the guy did go on bitching on Twitter and stuff about it all.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The 6000 threshold is nothing, even my buggy indie game hit 6000. Yeah it was free but I had no advertising whatsoever so that cancels it out. The 40mb is a bit of a drawback, especially when it comes to audio, but developers should be able to scale appropriately to their target platform.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine