By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Baldur's Gate for Wii U, bad Nintendo experience to blame

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/17/beamdog-no-baldurs-gate-for-wii-u-bad-nintendo-experience-to/

Taking to Twitter once again, Beamdog's Trent Oster has made it painfully clear thatBaldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will not be ported to the Wii U.

When asked about the possibility, Oster told a fan that "we don't do Nintendo development," adding that Beamdog's "previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another [Nintendo project]."

Oster's issues with Nintendo extend from Beamdog's WiiWare port of MDK 2. A 6,000 unit sales requirement before a developer receives payment – combined with a drawn-out certification process soured Oster's feelings for WiiWare. He also noted that the Wii's "exceptionally low attach rate" is "bad for devs" and essentially makes the Wii "a toy."

We contacted Oster for clarification on Beamdog's experience with Nintendo, and he tells Joystiq, "It's pretty simple."

Oster says Beamdog self-funded the WiiWare version MDK 2 as part of its arrangement with Interplay. The team underwent the process of crunching a 400MB game down to WiiWare's 40MB size requirement, no easy task. Beamdog was "very excited" about implementing the Wii Remote, and Oster says "we worked our butts off to make a great version of the game, the best version of MDK 2 there ever was." Even with "good reviews and good coverage" and despite the work of a hired PR firm, "the game was quickly lost in the WiiWare store and failed to sell enough to earn us a dime back." While Oster did not disclose sales numbers, it would seem that MDK 2 failed to break the 6,000 download threshold.

"We don't hate Nintendo and I have fond memories of earlier consoles," concludes Oster, "but the phenomenal sales of the Wii console don't truly indicate the number of people who buy third party software on it."

tl;dr

Let me clarify this a second.

The guys did not get any money for their game.

Think about that.

Not a dime back. Not a dime. Nothing. Nada. 

Around the Network

I'm a Nintendo fan but I can't fault him for his stance given what occurred.

never seen anything of the game so no loss for me

is it good?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Damn nintendo you so greedy.

Roma said:

is it good?

Generally revered as one of the best RPGs ever made. You should be fine though, there'll be a PC version and any PC will be able to run it, it's quite old. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
If you can't manage to sell 6k units, then you should have promoted your game better or made a better game. He should have made some outrageous statements to get himself and his game in the news.

its a downloadable game, who buys downloadable games on the Nintendo marketplace that isn't Nintendo ? 

Sal.Paradise said:
Roma said:

is it good?

Generally revered as one of the best RPGs ever made. You should be fine though, there'll be a PC version and any PC will be able to run it, it's quite old. 

Aha

Well not much of an RPG fan here so no loss at all then

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
If you can't manage to sell 6k units, then you should have promoted your game better or made a better game. He should have made some outrageous statements to get himself and his game in the news.

But I thought games sold based on how much fun the developer had making it? 

The best rpg my ass
no loss at all

PullusPardus said:
RolStoppable said:

its a downloadable game, who buys downloadable games on the Nintendo marketplace that isn't Nintendo ? 

VVVVVV and Mutant Mudds are doing well on the eShop. That port of Plants vs Zombies is the best selling DSiware game ever, and Tetris, Bomberman, Rayman, Shantae, Dragon Quest, and Earthworm Jim are all in the top 20 too. And even on WiiWare, you have games like World of Goo, Mega Man 9 and 10, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Tetris that sell over half a million units.

Love and tolerate.