By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Baldur's Gate for Wii U, bad Nintendo experience to blame

RolStoppable said:
richardhutnik said:
RolStoppable said:
If you can't manage to sell 6k units, then you should have promoted your game better or made a better game. He should have made some outrageous statements to get himself and his game in the news.

MDK2 doesn't suck.  It is a retro title that people had fond memories of.  It is entirely possible that the Wii just is not a platform to do stuff like MDK2 on.   If you think the game is bad, show evidence of MDK2 being a bad title.

By the way, you think it be right someone not get a cent until they break a certain sales threshold?  That approach means Nintendo walks off with free coin, for not doing anything.  If you think it is right, go ahead and explain why.

If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work. The reason why certain third party games end up being Wii exclusive is because they are deemed as not good enough for the HD consoles audiences. A lot of Wii and WiiWare third party software is that way. And if people had fond memories of MDK2, they would have bought the definitive version of the game (as the developer claims). But the thing couldn't even move 6k units.

I think it is right what Nintendo does with their sales thresholds, because third parties have proven that it is necessary. Third parties don't respect the Nintendo audience, so somehow there needs to be put in a stop to the neverending wave of low quality games. If companies know that they need to move 6k units before seeing a single cent, then at least the worst of the worst will refrain from flooding the system with trash. Let's not pretend that 6,000 is a huge number, a lofty goal, a miracle etc.; it should be stupidly easy to reach for a quality title that gets a little bit of exposure on the internet.

" If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work "

Sorry? What? Since when? And for your information, they have released it on steam and gog.com. On gog.com it has a rating of 4.5/5 from over 1000 users. I found 3 reviews on metacritic, all 8/10 or over. There is no metric by which you could say this is not a 'good' or 'well received' game, apart from a made up one. (like the one you just made up.)

I cannot believe you are arguing in defense of the 6000 sale limit. I really cannot.  

You are trying to rationalise a multinational company such as Nintendo, with billions upon billions of dollars in capital, refusing to give a small third party a single cent from their video game release, because it sold less then 6000 units on their service.

"Oh, your game sold only 2000 units? Oh, your game sold only 5999 units? Whatever, we are not giving you a cent of that money for the game you developed and released on our platform." Talk about a healthy relationship with third parties!

I recognize your quality control argument, it is the only believable defense that anyone could conjure up for this horrible business practice. How is an arbitrary limit on the units a company has to sell a quarantee of quality? 

Let me ask you, how do other donwload services manage quality control without withholding money from developers? That's right, they use a better system to determine the quality of the game. Steam and gog.com, hell even PSN and xbla seem to manage it, why hasn't Nintendo thought of a proper way of doing it? They're definitely not short on cash and they could hire whoever they want. It's plain incompetence, is what it is.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Salnax said:

VVVVVV and Mutant Mudds are doing well on the eShop. That port of Plants vs Zombies is the best selling DSiware game ever, and Tetris, Bomberman, Rayman, Shantae, Dragon Quest, and Earthworm Jim are all in the top 20 too. And even on WiiWare, you have games like World of Goo, Mega Man 9 and 10, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Tetris that sell over half a million units.

Do you mean only for Tetris, or all the games you mentioned? That's an interesting bit of information.

All of those games. I remember reading this on a link. Useful, I know. I'll tell you if I find it again.

Love and tolerate.

Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:
richardhutnik said:
RolStoppable said:
If you can't manage to sell 6k units, then you should have promoted your game better or made a better game. He should have made some outrageous statements to get himself and his game in the news.

MDK2 doesn't suck.  It is a retro title that people had fond memories of.  It is entirely possible that the Wii just is not a platform to do stuff like MDK2 on.   If you think the game is bad, show evidence of MDK2 being a bad title.

By the way, you think it be right someone not get a cent until they break a certain sales threshold?  That approach means Nintendo walks off with free coin, for not doing anything.  If you think it is right, go ahead and explain why.

If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work. The reason why certain third party games end up being Wii exclusive is because they are deemed as not good enough for the HD consoles audiences. A lot of Wii and WiiWare third party software is that way. And if people had fond memories of MDK2, they would have bought the definitive version of the game (as the developer claims). But the thing couldn't even move 6k units.

I think it is right what Nintendo does with their sales thresholds, because third parties have proven that it is necessary. Third parties don't respect the Nintendo audience, so somehow there needs to be put in a stop to the neverending wave of low quality games. If companies know that they need to move 6k units before seeing a single cent, then at least the worst of the worst will refrain from flooding the system with trash. Let's not pretend that 6,000 is a huge number, a lofty goal, a miracle etc.; it should be stupidly easy to reach for a quality title that gets a little bit of exposure on the internet.

" If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work "

Sorry? What? Since when? And for your information, they have released it on steam and gog.com. On gog.com it has a rating of 4.5/5 from over 1000 users. I found 3 reviews on metacritic, all 8/10 or over. There is no metric by which you could say this is not a 'good' or 'well received' game, apart from a made up one. (like the one you just made up.)

I cannot believe you are arguing in defense of the 6000 sale limit. I really cannot. I thought you were one of the more intelligent users of this site.  

You are trying to rationalise a multinational company such as Nintendo, with billions upon billions of dollars in capital, refusing to give a small third party a single cent from their video game release, because it sold less then 6000 units on their service.

"Oh, your game sold only 2000 units? Oh, your game sold only 5999 units? Whatever, we are not giving you a cent of that money for the game you developed and released on our platform." Talk about a healthy relationship with third parties!

I recognize your quality control argument, it is the only believable defense that anyone could conjure up for this horrible business practice. How is an arbitrary limit on the units a company has to sell a quarantee of quality? 

Let me ask you, how do other donwload services manage quality control without withholding money from developers? That's right, they use a better system to determine the quality of the game. Steam and gog.com, hell even PSN and xbla seem to manage it, why hasn't Nintendo thought of a proper way of doing it? They're definitely not short on cash and they could hire whoever they want. It's plain incompetence, is what it is.

I am not going to praise the whole 6000 unit limit, but I will ask this, what are the rules for XBLA and PSN? Are there limits, and do you know them, does Wii Ware take a lower precentage of a sale once past the limit compared to others? 

As for why Nintendo hasn't done this or that, the past is the past and we all know they kind of blew chunks at online features previously, but relating this to the Wii U is what the topic claimed and we don't know exactly what the deal is yet, or do we?

Salnax said:
Pavolink said:
Salnax said:

VVVVVV and Mutant Mudds are doing well on the eShop. That port of Plants vs Zombies is the best selling DSiware game ever, and Tetris, Bomberman, Rayman, Shantae, Dragon Quest, and Earthworm Jim are all in the top 20 too. And even on WiiWare, you have games like World of Goo, Mega Man 9 and 10, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Tetris that sell over half a million units.

Do you mean only for Tetris, or all the games you mentioned? That's an interesting bit of information.

All of those games. I remember reading this on a link. Useful, I know. I'll tell you if I find it again.

Thanks.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

pezus said:
Viper1 said:
richardhutnik said:
RolStoppable said:

Server costs?   Software costs?    I'm nto saying the 6,000 unit limit is good or bad but a limit needed to ensure their own costs are covered.   And Beamdog knew all this well before signing on to make the game.

They sure have to pay a lot to keep a 40 MB game available for download >_>

In all seriousness though, I think I had never heard of this game until today.

It's a Bioware classic but not as well known as Baldur's Gate. Should be worth checking out though, if you're a fan of Bioware's earlier work.

Around the Network

Its not Nintendo's fault you couldnt sell 6,000 units lol. Market yur game better and he knew all this before he started development why bitch now.

Well there's definitely a problem with how the game is advertised if it can't push 6k units.

pezus said:
Mad55 said:
Its not Nintendo's fault you couldnt sell 6,000 units lol. Market yur game better and he knew all this before he started development why bitch now.

It's Nintendo's fault that they had to sell 6k units though

Lol i can't tell if your serious or not Pezus....ok you are I believe. I just think if your game couldn't sell even that many then its your fault mostly. Even if nintendo did something where they give the dev and publisher half the revenue in sale until it reaches a certain milestone this developer couldn not have broken even at all with less than 6,000 units sold im guessing. 

RolStoppable said:

6,000 units. Think about it. They couldn't even manage to sell 6,000 units.

It didn't sell because they didn't advertise it. I've never heard of it, let alone have any interest in it...

Whilst the rules regarding WiiWare are silly, the 'excuse' of 3rd parties not selling is wafer-thin. For example, look at Epic Mickey, Goldeneye and Monster Hunter Tri. 3 discrete devs, who all made the effort to produce a AAA 3rd-party Wii exclusive, all of whom received sales of over 2,000,000 for trying.

To put it simply, don't put in the money and effort to let people know it exsists, you don't reap rewards, and vice-versa. They have, sadly, no-one to blame but themselves.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.