By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Baldur's Gate for Wii U, bad Nintendo experience to blame

Not a big loss- how can you not manage to even sell 6000 units anyway?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

Has anyone here actually bought and/or played the game on Wii?? I have and its a pretty good port considering the size limit is so stupid. I wouldnt call it a definitive version, but its good. One thing, though it had little coverage, hell i didnt hear about it until someone (i think GumbyTrucker) on this forum told me about it. That still doesnt take away from fact that WiiWare sucks pretty hare. Whatever Wii U is using should be one hundreds times better.

thetonestarr said:
Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

" If MDK2 was a good title, it would have come to the HD consoles as well, because that's how remasters of old games work "

Sorry? What? Since when? And for your information, they have released it on steam and gog.com. On gog.com it has a rating of 4.5/5 from over 1000 users. I found 3 reviews on metacritic, all 8/10 or over. There is no metric by which you could say this is not a 'good' or 'well received' game, apart from a made up one. (like the one you just made up.)

I cannot believe you are arguing in defense of the 6000 sale limit. I really cannot.  

You are trying to rationalise a multinational company such as Nintendo, with billions upon billions of dollars in capital, refusing to give a small third party a single cent from their video game release, because it sold less then 6000 units on their service.

"Oh, your game sold only 2000 units? Oh, your game sold only 5999 units? Whatever, we are not giving you a cent of that money for the game you developed and released on our platform." Talk about a healthy relationship with third parties!

I recognize your quality control argument, it is the only believable defense that anyone could conjure up for this horrible business practice. How is an arbitrary limit on the units a company has to sell a quarantee of quality? 

Let me ask you, how do other donwload services manage quality control without withholding money from developers? That's right, they use a better system to determine the quality of the game. Steam and gog.com, hell even PSN and xbla seem to manage it, why hasn't Nintendo thought of a proper way of doing it? They're definitely not short on cash and they could hire whoever they want. It's plain incompetence, is what it is.

Not being able to sell 6,000 units of a supposed quality title is plain incompetence and arguing anything other than that is a sure sign that somebody has a clear agenda against Nintendo in general and the Wii in particular. It isn't a high number. It's not an insurmountable threshold by any means. It's a number you can fly by within days of release. The fault in this case lies completely with the developer.

6,000 units. Think about it. They couldn't even manage to sell 6,000 units.

Why does a company have to sell 6000 units to make a penny of their money back? Why? 

For one, because it's going to cost Nintendo money just to set up the game on their servers and host it there.

For two, likely to prevent crap like this very situation from happening - to give devs a little incentive to actually try. Nobody wants their service full of bloatware and bullshit.

the funny thing is, that WiiWare IS full of bloatware and bullshit.

melbye said:
They must have known that Nintendo demanded 6000 copies sold, they must have known about the 40MB limit, they must have known Wiiware doesn't sell as much as PSN and XBLA so they really should stop bitching about it

Is it possible to believe both the threshold Nintendo set up sucks AND also that the company is incompetent and didn't do their job?  It is like, when people argue the threshold sucks, that the company's incompetence is justification for it.

You have stuff like XBLA Indie Games that doesn't have such a threshold and has a much wider range of games for it, because it doesn't have this threshold.  Because of a lack of the Nintendo threshold I was able to get Shogi for the XBox 360.

thetonestarr said:
Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:

Why does a company have to sell 6000 units to make a penny of their money back? Why? 

For one, because it's going to cost Nintendo money just to set up the game on their servers and host it there.

For two, likely to prevent crap like this very situation from happening - to give devs a little incentive to actually try. Nobody wants their service full of bloatware and bullshit.

As I have mentioned before, there are far better ways to implement quality control than to simply withold money from a developer after they have released atheir damn game. This is not good business on a fledgling download service. It's shitty business. 

Small independent games can turn a profit at very low sales, and attracting talented but underfunded people to your service can be a huge benefit.

Look at Rovio, they developed something like 20 shitty mobile games no one has heard about. Then they developed Angry Birds in 2009 and it has gone on to sell over 500 million copies. It's an all round stupid, and tbh pretty shady, decision from Nintendo, and something that needs to go for the Wii U. 

And budget? Don't make me laugh. Look at the independent download services on PC, they host games that go up to 10gb of data or more and they don't have these stupid restrictions. 

And do I even have to point out that "For two, likely to prevent crap like this very situation from happening" is a silly thing to say here? 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Third parties don't respect the Nintendo audience, so somehow there needs to be put in a stop to the neverending wave of low quality games. If companies know that they need to move 6k units before seeing a single cent, then at least the worst of the worst will refrain from flooding the system with trash.

In other words, third parties have to blame other third parties who tried to abuse the Nintendo audience. Regardless, let's not pretend that 6,000 is a huge number, a lofty goal, a miracle etc.; it should be stupidly easy to reach for a quality title that gets a little bit of exposure on the internet.

You really have a bone to pick with third parties don't you? Everything issue on the Wii seems to be their fault.

Apparently this developer did 'respect' the Nintendo audience enough to release their game, as I said before well reviewed by every outlet I could find, on Nintendo's own Wii console. What do the developers get back for this effort? Nothing. Nothing at all. Just debt and a big fuck you from Nintendo.

And to take it to another level entirely, third parties only have other third parties to blame, for Nintendo themselves enforcing possibly the worst quality control restriction I've ever seen on their own download service?

Come on man, you must be kidding me around here, that's insane. Not only does it rob a game developer of their money AFTER the game has been released, rather than in the submission phase for the service, it completely discourages any small developer for releasing games on their service that CAN make a profit, or at least help the developer, at very low sales numbers. It's insaaane. 

The thing that gets me is this statement:

He also noted that the Wii's "exceptionally low attach rate" is "bad for devs" and essentially makes the Wii "a toy."

So if his game managed 500,000 units, would the Wii cease to be a toy then?  Lol.

RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

You really have a bone to pick with third parties don't you? Everything issue on the Wii seems to be their fault.

Apparently this developer did 'respect' the Nintendo audience enough to release their game, as I said before well reviewed by every outlet I could find, on Nintendo's own Wii console. What do the developers get back for this effort? Nothing. Nothing at all. Just debt and a big fuck you from Nintendo.

And to take it to another level entirely, third parties only have other third parties to blame, for Nintendo themselves enforcing possibly the worst quality control restriction I've ever seen on their own download service?

Come on man, you must be kidding me around here, that's insane. Not only does it rob a game developer of their money AFTER the game has been released, rather than in the submission phase for the service, it completely discourages any small developer for releasing games on their service that CAN make a profit, or at least help the developer, at very low sales numbers. It's insaaane. 

The one who makes the game has the responsibility to sell it. If a third party game doesn't sell, it's the third party's fault. It works the same way on any other console.

MDK2 doesn't even have a Metascore, because it only has three registered reviews. This points to a failure of the company to pitch their game to reviewers and thus gamers, because without reviews hardly anyone will know that it even exists.

Third parties have to blame other third parties for forcing Nintendo to implement such a method (otherwise third parties would put flash games on the service; the WiiWare service is in a bad enough state as it is). Regardless, a threshold of 6,000 units shouldn't be a problem for a talented third party, so I point you to the first paragraph of this post.

I have yet to see a third party that got screwed over on a Nintendo platform, so it's hard to feel any empathy for them. The complaints usually come from third parties who had it coming. Either because they made bad games or because they relied on something else spreading the word for them (i.e. didn't bother to promote their game at all). In most cases it's been both. Also, the best environment for really small developers is the PC by default and no console setup will ever come close.

" The one who makes the game has the responsibility to sell it. If a third party game doesn't sell, it's the third party's fault. It works the same way on any other console. "

Yeh, completely agreed. They take the money from the low sales of their game and have to move on. They do not have every single cent of their money withheld from them and presumably going to Nintendo instead. 

"Third parties have to blame other third parties for forcing Nintendo to implement such a method (otherwise third parties would put flash games on the service; the WiiWare service is in a bad enough state as it is)."

What? so if Nintendo didn't implement this 6000 unit limit, the only alternative situation is them having no quality control at all and the platform being flooded with bad games? Come on man, try harder here. 

I cannot believe you are arguing that a developer that releases a title that gets only a small amount of attention (small but positive, even though whether the reception is positive or negative should not matter) somehow deserves to receive absolutely nothing for their game. . They deserve nothing, no money. Those few thousand sales? Forget about them, they're worthless if you don't hit a certain number. 3000 sales? Nope! 5,999 sales? Nope, you deserve to get nothing! 6001 sales? Oh! You deserve to get your money now, well done! 

It was the developer's fault for releasing their game on a download service with a horrible quality control system, absolutely. But it is Nintendo's fault for implementing it on their own system, and that is what I'm arguing about here, Nintendo's bad business practice and failure when it comes to making an attractive and successful digital dsitribution platform for other developers, relative to every other digital distribution service I know of. 

Also, the best environment for really small developers is the PC by default 

Yeh, I agree with this for the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean console offerings have to be shit does it? There's a middle ground to be found, and Nintendo obviously didn't find it. That's no sort of excuse. 

I have yet to see a third party that got screwed over on a Nintendo platform

Er, what? 

Sal.Paradise said:
RolStoppable said:
Sal.Paradise said:

The one who makes the game has the responsibility to sell it. If a third party game doesn't sell, it's the third party's fault. It works the same way on any other console.

MDK2 doesn't even have a Metascore, because it only has three registered reviews. This points to a failure of the company to pitch their game to reviewers and thus gamers, because without reviews hardly anyone will know that it even exists.

Third parties have to blame other third parties for forcing Nintendo to implement such a method (otherwise third parties would put flash games on the service; the WiiWare service is in a bad enough state as it is). Regardless, a threshold of 6,000 units shouldn't be a problem for a talented third party, so I point you to the first paragraph of this post.

I have yet to see a third party that got screwed over on a Nintendo platform, so it's hard to feel any empathy for them. The complaints usually come from third parties who had it coming. Either because they made bad games or because they relied on something else spreading the word for them (i.e. didn't bother to promote their game at all). In most cases it's been both. Also, the best environment for really small developers is the PC by default and no console setup will ever come close.

" The one who makes the game has the responsibility to sell it. If a third party game doesn't sell, it's the third party's fault. It works the same way on any other console. "

Yeh, completely agreed. They take the money from the low sales of their game and have to move on. They do not have every single cent of their money withheld from them and presumably going to Nintendo instead. 

"Third parties have to blame other third parties for forcing Nintendo to implement such a method (otherwise third parties would put flash games on the service; the WiiWare service is in a bad enough state as it is)."

What? so if Nintendo didn't implement this 6000 unit limit, the only alternative situation is them having no quality control at all and the platform being flooded with bad games? Come on man, try harder here. 

I cannot believe you are arguing that a developer that releases a title that gets only a small amount of attention (small but positive, even though whether the reception is positive or negative should not matter) somehow deserves to receive absolutely nothing for their game. . They deserve nothing, no money. Those few thousand sales? Forget about them, they're worthless if you don't hit a certain number. 3000 sales? Nope! 5,999 sales? Nope, you deserve to get nothing! 6001 sales? Oh! You deserve to get your money now, well done! 

It was the developer's fault for releasing their game on a download service with a horrible quality control system, absolutely. But it is Nintendo's fault for implementing it on their own system, and that is what I'm arguing about here, Nintendo's bad business practice and failure when it comes to making an attractive and successful digital dsitribution platform for other developers, relative to every other digital distribution service I know of. 

Also, the best environment for really small developers is the PC by default 

Yeh, I agree with this for the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean console offerings have to be shit does it? There's a middle ground to be found, and Nintendo obviously didn't find it. That's no sort of excuse. 

I have yet to see a third party that got screwed over on a Nintendo platform

Er, what? 

well to be fair its not like they didnt KNOW that the WiiWare service sucked, its been well known and almost universally accepted that the service has been rubbish for years, with little sign of improving.

This makes my head hurt. It's just like the Super Meat Boy thing when people were rushing all over Nintendo telling them how horrible they are, when it's like, no, Team Meat should have known the limitations of the platform going in. Don't talk about the certification or trying to cram the game into 40MB as if its some sort of horrible process that was thrust upon you at the last second: you fucking knew what you were getting into, so don't bitch about it.

And yes, a 6,000 unit threshold is something any sort of decent game should be able to bypass. Who's fault is it exactly if you fail to meet a threshold that low?

Keep your Baldur's Gate and your bad attitude well off of my next generation platform, thank you.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.