By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global up 31st March

RolStoppable said:
radishhead said:
RolStoppable said:

The 3DS needs a REAL Mario game as a catalyst for hardware and software sales. It takes a killer app to spark excitement and this leads to more sales of everything.

The track record of Super Mario Bros. is incredible. It sells to both genders, all ages, in all regions. This is the kind of game that every video game publisher wants to have, it has truly universal appeal. But Nintendo treats it like an afterthought.

You should be thankful- if any other developer owned Mario they would already have milked it so that nobody would want to buy it anymore. Nintendo seem to limit themselves to one 2D Mario /console (sometimes less)

Why should I be thankful that a company that has proven that they don't milk their IPs to death doesn't make more sequels to its most popular series? Especially when it means that the company in question is ruining themselves in the process?

What you, what every Nintendo fan should be able to understand, is that Super Mario Bros. is the piece that gets the entire machine running.

They're hardly ruining themselves- besides, we don't want them rushing the 2D Mario game :)

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
SunofKratos said:
The Vitas problem right now are the games. It will need more than some Pinball and chees game to sell. Software sells hardware. Games like God of War and Gran Turismo will sell the Vita and not some lame ports from older PS3 games. When will the developers realize that?

For the love of all that is holy, lety's stop putting PS3's series on the portable PlayStation!

I bought PSP for LocoRoco and even if I had only bought that game it would still have been worth it, because I fucking love it! And that's also what Vita needs, exclusive and adequate series. And good marketing for when said games come out.

Barozi said:
haha Mass Effect on 360 outselling Mass Effect 3 on PS3 this week in the US ?
funny stuff.

It's the millons of PS3 Mass Effect fans having to go out an finally by ME1 and play it on their friend's 360, obviously.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Kid Icarus is having a great second week, especially in Europe! I thought the game would be pretty front-loaded, but it looks like that won't be the case.

Love and tolerate.

Didn´t Sony report 400k Uncharted 3 units sold in France in 2011? Even if those numbers were shipped, 290k sold to consumer (until today) seams low to me, maybe we are overtracking it in some other region.

Wasn´t Uncharted trilogy released in countries like France last week? Are these being tracked individually or are they going to be added to every uncharted game? If these are added to every game, I have a hard time believing U3 went from 6.9K to 3.7 in France, but maybe I am missing something here..

From a hardware perspective everything is weak other then the 3ds in Japan. Waiting for NPD to confirm US numbers for March, one thing is confirmed something needs to be done, because it is strange to me that new consoles like the Vita and 3Ds are doing so bad outside of Japan. I think gaming, maybe it is just portables, is tacking a hit, we will see how the market reacts to the WiiU.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:
Has the Vita settled yet or is it still dropping week by week globally?

A 6k units drop this week, so that's as good as stabilized. The majority of weeks going forward should fall within the 60-80k units range, I don't think it's going to drop any lower than that.

Vita got a boost this week in Japan, without it the afterlaunch-drop would be around 8K. But anyways, it seems to level out below 70K. I would see it in the area of 50-70K until some bigger game arrives.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:

i would think horrible is a bit of an overstatement.  yes the rest of the pack's poor performance make the 3DS look better than it really is but being on the happy side of 200k is definently respectable outside the holiday period.

No, it really isn't when 120k units of those sales come from Japan. The minimum target for the 3DS has to be 300k worldwide in a week with no big releases. Anything below that is evidence that Nintendo is doing something wrong.

You mentioned before that at this point in time that japan already had the DS Lite.  Your 300K target factors in Japan having the DS Lite which makes it unfair to suggest the 3DS needs to mimic the first months sales of the DS Lite in Japan.

US sales of the DS 1 month after the DS Lite had launched in Japan were around 37k.  3DS sales in the US right now are 48k.  So it is trending ahead of the DS in the US.  DS + DS Lite sales in Japan for the same week were 213k which is higher than the 3DS's current 120k but Kid Icarus is not expected to be a hardware driver as a much as a new console model would be.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Spedfrom said:
SunofKratos said:
The Vitas problem right now are the games. It will need more than some Pinball and chees game to sell. Software sells hardware. Games like God of War and Gran Turismo will sell the Vita and not some lame ports from older PS3 games. When will the developers realize that?

For the love of all that is holy, lety's stop putting PS3's series on the portable PlayStation!

I bought PSP for LocoRoco and even if I had only bought that game it would still have been worth it, because I fucking love it! And that's also what Vita needs, exclusive and adequate series. And good marketing for when said games come out.

PSVita need the too new ip like loco roco won't we systhem sellers,Big series move hardware like Gran turismo,Metal Gear Solid .

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

3DS was able to outsell a little bit  the ds with a price cut and big games so it's not that good.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

HappySqurriel said:
theprof00 said:
Has anyone considered that people are not buying Vita because they expect a price drop just like the 3DS?
ie; Sony hasn't annoucned a price drop, but it's inevitable wasn't it? Right from the start.

Before the Vita was released I was claiming that anticipation of a price cut was a significant risk for Sony ...

It is. Sony can't handle a huge price cut on the Vita.

1) SCE (and the division it's in) is finally profitable, they don't want the PSV ruining that
2) the other Sony divisions can't compensate for the SCE losses like they could 6 years ago.