By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Based on tech specs and not opinion, is the 3ds stronger than the Wii?

Is the 3ds stronger than the Wii (based on tech specs)?

Yes 148 47.74%

No 105 33.87%

What a stupid question, dumbass. 54 17.42%

Total:307
Play4Fun said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Play4Fun said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Navane said:
Play4Fun said:
It has better shaders and more RAM, so it can do better looking games than Wii can.

There you go. This the answer to the entire thread.

The 3DS may not have as much processing power (though I don't know if that's true), but what Play4Fun just said is exactly right.

Oh man, so I guess if I buy some $400 pc and just buy 16GB RAM for it I'll be good to go?

Because that kind of RAM is totally the same thing.

And yet my analogy that a machine's most powerful component does not determine the power of the machine still stands. 

Your analogy was a fail. Accept that.

No, it was completely accurate. Do you think my statement is wrong somehow?

Around the Network

Yeah, I cleared up my mistake on the specs I quoted. (still don't know the 3DSs actual specs right now) You have to remember though, you brought it up. All I said is that the graphics of both systems are dated, they are. Look at them. The next gen of console hardware is almost upon us and gaming is moving to things like DX11. What I meant when I said it wasn't good for gaming, I should clarify because that does sound dismissive and I apologize. Increased hardware capabilities increase the potential for greater gaming experiences, especially in the form of AI. The way the 3DS stands now limits itself to the development of previous generations. Great games can still be made that way, a whole ton of great games were made with that type of power and the 3DS has a few tricks of its own as well as years of experience and techniques they can use to make games better. I'm not sure why you are toting lower rez and smaller screens as a testament to the 3DS's power,

My original statement was to say that both systems have such similar graphics potential because of their hardware it doesn't really matter that much in determining if the Wii or the 3DS is better equipped. The real battle will probably be in the capabilities of the systems other abilities, like AI, OS and whatever have you.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

It's not more powerful, but the 3D definitely makes games look better than the best available on Wii.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

trasharmdsister12 said:

To answer the question in the title I first went to look up the tech specs. Here's what I learned.

Nintendo Wii (long-side flat):

• base: 15.1 cm
  • height: 5.1 cm
  • depth: 21.5 cm
  • volume: 1655.715 cm^3
  • weight: 2.65 lbs -> ~ 1200 grams = 1.2 kg

Nintendo 3DS

• base: 13.4 cm
  • height: 2.1 cm
  • depth: 7.4 cm
  • volume: 208.236 cm^3
  • weight: 235 grams  = 0.235 kg

To determine which is strongest I dropped them both from a height of 2 m. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Using basic kinematics we know F=m*a.

F(Wii) =  1.2 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 11.76 N (N = kg*m/s^2)

F(3DS) = 0.235 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 2.303 N

To take the size of these devices into account we divide the experienced force by the volume of the devices to see how much force is experienced per unit of the consoles size. Of course we're assuming uniform body structures for simple discussions sake.

N(Wii) = F(Wii) / 1655.715 cm^3 = 0.0071 N/cm^3

N(3DS) = F(3DS) / 208.236 cm^3 =  0.0111 N /cm^3

It's shown that the 3DS sustains a larger force per unit volume, making it weaker. Furthermore, we have to remember that the 3DS is not a rigid body like the Wii due to the opening screen which reduces structural integrity even more.

Therefore I scientifically conclude that the Wii is stronger than the 3DS.

Not bad!

EDIT: Actually, 'strong' doesn't imply how much force it experiences (per unit volume as you've done).  What you need to do is measure the tensile strength, i.e. how at what force the material breaks. Then you can use your data above and make a conclusion. Btw, where'd you learn physics?

Wii:
Processors:
CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz
GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[129] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[128]
Memory:
88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)
3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

3DS:

Processors:

CPU: custom ARM11/Nintendo Dual-core CPU @800MHz/core                                                                                                                                                             

GPU: DMP:  PICA200 @ 268MHz Single-core

GPU specs:

• 65 nm Single Core [7](max. clock frequency 400 MHz)
    • pixel performance: 800 Mpixel/s[7]
      • 400 Mpixel/s @100 MHz[2]
      • 1600 Mpixel/s @400 MHz
    • vertex performance: 15.3 Mpolygon/s[7]
      • 40Mtriangle/s @100 MHz[2]
      • 160Mtriangle/s @400 MHz
  • Power consumption: 0.5-1.0 mW/MHz[2]
  • Frame Buffer max. 4095×4095 pixels
  • Supported pixel formats: RGBA 4-4-4-4, RGB 5-6-5, RGBA 5-5-5-1, RGBA 8-8-8-8
  • Vertex program (ARB_vertex_program)
  • Render-to-Texture
  • MipMap
  • Bilinear texture filtering
  • Alpha blending
  • Full-scene anti-aliasing (2×2)
  • Polygon offset
  • 8-bit stencil buffer
  • 24-bit depth buffer
  • Single/Double/Triple buffer
  • DMP's MAESTRO-2G technology
    • per pixel lighting
    • procedural texture
    • refraction mapping
    • subdivision primitive
    • shadow
    • gaseous object rendering

Memory: 128MB FCRAM (32MB OS 96MB graphics)

Hope this helps in somewhat showing that the 3DS is equal/slightly more superior to the Wii!!!  Also, I don't know why Vita fans are saying the Vita is HD when the screen is outputting sub-HD resolution?

Around the Network

The Wii is a fare bit more powerful. The 3DS is just flexible.

At first I thought it was when I played madden on the 3ds since the 3ds version of madden looks better than the wii version. But after playing mario kart on my 3ds relentlessly and then playing the wii version, it was clear that the wii version was graphically superior. Since mario kart is a first party title and nintendo usually makes the most of the systems capabilities, I concluded that the wii was a more powerful console, but the 3ds is very close. Cant wait for the wii u to come out. I dont think ive ever been more excited for a system than for the wii u.

I believe it's between the gamecube and wii. I'm pretty sure im wrong though(remember reading this somewhere)

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

odellwwww said:
At first I thought it was when I played madden on the 3ds since the 3ds version of madden looks better than the wii version. But after playing mario kart on my 3ds relentlessly and then playing the wii version, it was clear that the wii version was graphically superior. Since mario kart is a first party title and nintendo usually makes the most of the systems capabilities, I concluded that the wii was a more powerful console, but the 3ds is very close. Cant wait for the wii u to come out. I dont think ive ever been more excited for a system than for the wii u.

Remember the 3DS is a totally new architecture (albeit: not a totally new architecture but still new) so a learning curve has to be expected.  The Wii is essentially a boosted GCN having 1.5-2x the power while having the same textures and effects.

Polygons/sec

GCN: 8-12mil

Wii: 16-18mil

3DS: 15.3mil @200Mhz

20.4mil @268Mhz

zero129 said:
Chark said:
Yeah, I cleared up my mistake on the specs I quoted. (still don't know the 3DSs actual specs right now) You have to remember though, you brought it up. All I said is that the graphics of both systems are dated, they are. Look at them. The next gen of console hardware is almost upon us and gaming is moving to things like DX11. What I meant when I said it wasn't good for gaming, I should clarify because that does sound dismissive and I apologize. Increased hardware capabilities increase the potential for greater gaming experiences, especially in the form of AI. The way the 3DS stands now limits itself to the development of previous generations. Great games can still be made that way, a whole ton of great games were made with that type of power and the 3DS has a few tricks of its own as well as years of experience and techniques they can use to make games better. I'm not sure why you are toting lower rez and smaller screens as a testament to the 3DS's power,

My original statement was to say that both systems have such similar graphics potential because of their hardware it doesn't really matter that much in determining if the Wii or the 3DS is better equipped. The real battle will probably be in the capabilities of the systems other abilities, like AI, OS and whatever have you.

It's not like the PSV and the 3DS are using dx11, so by you're statement both of them are outdated???, Also the PS4 wont be using DX11 too, so is that outdated before its even released??, only console that can use DX11 Next gen is the next xbox (Not that it matters as its only an api). And imo the is 1 3DS game imo that looks pretty close to the vita's Top game uncharted, and thats without using the extra specs the 3DS could use later on, by not having devs make their games with 3D in mind (Processing 2 images), and allowing the use of the extra ram from the OS. and that game is Resident Evil. here watch in this video.

Now try to tell me the 3DS does not have great graphics too??. Now imagine if they allowed devs to develope their games without 3D in mind. and using their extra ram the OS has reserved, giving it a 30-50% boost in power. Remember without the 3D the 3DS only has to render at about half the res the PSV does, that means it pretty much only needs half the power to output the same type of gfx, sure the psv version would look shaper. But the wouldn't be that big of a diffrance. as you can see in that video already "imo".

So, is DX11 something only Microsoft can use? If its proprietary fine, then im just using it as a reference. Otherwise Im not sure how you are knowing what unanounced consoles will have in the end. The handhelds dont need to be next console hardware capable but that wasnt what i was refering to. The 3ds is being compared to the wii and the wii has been declared more of a last gen console than current by many. To be honest im pleasantly surprised with the RE video's graphics. Some decent lighting on the 3ds, but its still lacking on particles and especially textures. Though i think Bend Studios could have done a better job, the 3ds can not do what that game does on the Vita. The amount of textures and pixels that thing is pushing is amazing, particles could be better though among other things, but they are still plenty of them. The river scene later in the game with all of its dynamics could not be done on the 3ds even with 3d removal.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(